User Tag List

First 56789 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    Today in hipster news, intelligent woman writes culturally relevant songs while also appearing sexually confident; people feel challenged and uncomfortable, lame cyberbullying ensues, sends wonderful message to school kids about women and their role in society. News at 11.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

Sheep pill, broster asynartetic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    Im criticizing the phenomenon as well as defending my own interest...I have also defended Katy Perry in the past more mildly.

It gives me the creeps that the same people who praise Emile Haynie for working with Kid Cudi and Eminem trash Lana del Rey, who as a matter of fact, had severe stage fright, thus the awkward SNL performance...it's like vultures descending on a fresh kill. If that's cool I would rather be "lame."
    Relax, I was just teasing. I have nothing against her, personally. I'm kind of indifferent. But I respect your opinion and your passion in defending her is admirable.

Quote Originally Posted by Hard View Post
    Nevertheless, she is very popular and well regarded as original and talented, so I withhold my judgement beyond my personal taste. Music is rather subjective anyway. It's difficult to label something as truly "bad".
    I both agree and disagree with this. Maybe it's an Fi vs Fe thing. I do think the value of music, and art in general, is primarily subjective. I certainly don't think popularity or consensus has any bearing on the merits of a work of art. I label music "bad" all the time. For example, I can't tolerate that noise recorded by the Beatles. I've had people try to explain to me why they are the greatest band ever, but no explanation can make their music sound more pleasant to my ears than fingernails scratching on a chalkboard.

I don't have a strong opinion regarding Lana Del Rey. I like Summertime Sadness, which is the only song I've heard from her. Judging from that song alone, she sounds better than most of the pop shit that gets played on the radio.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

Quote Originally Posted by Bullet View Post
    I both agree and disagree with this. Maybe it's an Fi vs Fe thing. I do think the value of music, and art in general, is primarily subjective. I certainly don't think popularity or consensus has any bearing on the merits of a work of art. I label music "bad" all the time. For example, I can't tolerate that noise recorded by the Beatles. I've had people try to explain to me why they are the greatest band ever, but no explanation can make their music sound more pleasant to my ears than fingernails scratching on a chalkboard.

I don't have a strong opinion regarding Lana Del Rey. I like Summertime Sadness, which is the only song I've heard from her. Judging from that song alone, she sounds better than most of the pop shit that gets played on the radio.
    Popularity and consensus is something I use to measure the validity of an opinion on something subjective that is more or less of no consequence. I also label music as "bad" as well, but just because I think it is, doesn't mean that it actually is. If however, I think of some music as bad, and many seem to regard it as bad, then it very likely is. Group consensus seems to be the only way to really objectively label something as good or bad. Any other metric will involve something personal to an individual that can't be agreed upon.

I'm very careful on how I word, and describe things that are rather subjective. Because effectively every opinion on it has value and holds some sort of weight, an absolution about it can't be stated unless there is some sort of metric that allows it. Usually, the only thing that does allow for it is group consensus. Of course, there is always the matter of who is the group, because who is part of it is a factor in itself.

I'm an Fe dom; group opinion, meta studies, etc. hold A LOT of weight to me. I actually find it baffling when people disregard it.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari

Quote Originally Posted by Hard View Post
    Popularity and consensus is something I use to measure the validity of an opinion on something subjective that is more or less of no consequence. I also label music as "bad" as well, but just because I think it is, doesn't mean that it actually is. If however, I think of some music as bad, and many seem to regard it as bad, then it very likely is. Group consensus seems to be the only way to really objectively label something as good or bad. Any other metric will involve something personal to an individual that can't be agreed upon.

I'm very careful on how I word, and describe things that are rather subjective. Because effectively every opinion on it has value and holds some sort of weight, an absolution about it can't be stated unless there is some sort of metric that allows it. Usually, the only thing that does allow for it is group consensus. Of course, there is always the matter of who is the group, because who is part of it is a factor in itself.

I'm an Fe dom; group opinion, meta studies, etc. hold A LOT of weight to me. I actually find it baffling when people disregard it.
    Fair enough. Group opinions don't matter to me at all, unless it pertains to something that involves the whole group like where does everyone want to eat? I value unanimity in similar matters like elections, but when it comes to art or personal taste, I put very little value on outside opinions.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

Quote Originally Posted by Bullet View Post
    Fair enough. Group opinions don't matter to me at all, unless it pertains to something that involves the whole group like where does everyone want to eat? I value unanimity in similar matters like elections, but when it comes to art or personal taste, I put very little value on outside opinions.
    I should clarify; I don't really allow it to influence my opinion much unless there is a well founded argument that I agree with. What I use it for is to test for validity of my opinions. If mine deviate from the norm, something may or may not be amiss, and it's worth examining. How it goes from there depends on a bunch of things.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    Honestly it's more like the possibility that she's being hated on for being an upper middle class white woman instead of a poor black man (some of the biggest names in hip hop are actually associated with writing as well as production of Born to Die, including Kenye West, which makes the bias against her that much more absurd)...but mostly it's frankly that I think she confuses people by being mainstream sexually attractive like a pop star such as Britney, Madonna, Katy, whatever but she sings about more serious or literary ideas like a traditionally plainer or grunge indie artist, and people's heads are just exploding because they want her to get in her pretty white rich woman box and stfu.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    Honestly it's more like the possibility that she's being hated on for being an upper middle class white woman instead of a poor black man (some of the biggest names in hip hop are actually associated with writing as well as production of Born to Die, including Kenye West, which makes the bias against her that much more absurd)...but mostly it's frankly that I think she confuses people by being mainstream sexually attractive like a pop star such as Britney, Madonna, Katy, whatever but she sings about more serious or literary ideas like a traditionally plainer or grunge indie artist, and people's heads are just exploding because they want her to get in her pretty white rich woman box and stfu.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by chickpea View Post

Permabanned
    MBTI