Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by chickpea View Post
    I never claimed to be any authority on Lana del Rey's music like I've probably heard 4 songs of hers. I've read interviews though, and I feel like you're putting way more thought into this than she is.
    Um whatever. She majored in Metaphysics and wrote a short film called Tropico along with the Paradise EP. im pretty certain she knows exactly what she's doing and if you knew anything she did as Lizzy Grant you would probably feel ridiculous for saying these weren't her ideas. You don't know what you even speak of. It's like you didn't read a novel but swear your literary analysis should get an A. If you don't like her four songs you heard fine, but stop saying dumb shit like you even.know her work. That's what bothers me.

I just hope you understand that most of hip hop and rap is also stylistic theater, and that even "authentic" singers like Kurt Cobain had stylists and did theater (for example smashing guitars like Jimmy Hendrix) ...Lizzy/Lana is a real artist and it aggravates me when she doesn't get the respect she deserves. I don't know if you understand what it's like to study one particular writer or painters or musicians ideas as a whole and feel a sense of connection to it, and that's why you think your pretentious adolescent dismissal of Lana del Rey is perfectly ok, because in your head, she's just like Milli Vanilli amirite? Well your intuition failed you and you jumped to incorrect conclusions based on popular gossip, and I am correcting not only you, but the others who do it.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

oh, i thought i was bullshitting on an internet forum. i didn't realize i'd be recieving a grade for this. i would have worked harder on my thesis statement.

you are aware most of her fanbase consists of pretentious adolescents though?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Chickpea you got yourself into this by claiming her ideas aren't her own and claiming she's fabricated, and no actually you are wrong, Lana del Rey actually sells just as many albums in the 60 year old range as the thirteen year old range, and she largely appeals to Millennials who are now in their twenties and thirties. You just can't let your irrational negging go, you can't admit you don't know how authentic or complex her work is because it's just easier for you to post dated SNL memes. You got yourself into this by not being able to just say she isn't your cup of tea, no you have to make it into some faux hipster cause, so as someone actually educated about her music and how popular music in general works, im telling you, I have to show you how misguided it is. You are definitely bullshitting because really nothing you say is based on real information, except that you don't like four songs out of about fifty.

Oh ladies, pleasant and demure
    Sallow-cheeked and sure
    I can see your undies

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I just wonder if she likes Kid Cudi...same producer worked on Born to Die. I really should put some unreleased Lizzy Grant stuff here as well as Tropico just to show the artistic consistency of her work, outside a change of wardrobe.

And Ultraviolence is totally going to be nominated for album of the year.

I just get amazed at the naivete of music fans attacking Lana del Rey as some symbolic red herring, never mind that Elton John changed his name, Madonna went through constant make overs (her earliest incarnation eerily resembling Andy Warhols "product" Edie Sedgwick), that Kurt Cobain didn't always pick out his own clothing, and Rick Rubins has polished the vast majority of musicians respected by the general public, from Black Sabbath to the Beastie Boys...of all the people, why precisely was Lana picked to be the martyr of Gen Y delusions about performers??? An album reviewer from MuuMuse called it one of the most absurd cases of cyber bullying he had seen, in 2012. Idiotic hivemind.

an abyss of Nothingness Arctic Hysteria's Avatar
    MBTI
    IxFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    EII Fi

| | | If it is god who makes man, this is the devil finishing touches | | |

Google "chemtrails" Bush Did 9/11's Avatar
    MBTI
    eNtp
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    γ Ni

Checked her out. Not bad.

I can't imagine what all the hate's about.

When I evaluate the music, I evaluate the music. Is the music good? That's what matters to me. I don't care about the gossip or politicking, the artists' personal lives, how much technical talent they have (!), or even how good they are live (unless I'm listening to them live, of course). If they pull it off, then they pull it off.

'course, if I'm a die-hard fan of an artist (or am otherwise not apathetic), I'll also end up evaluating the other stuff.
    J. Scott Crothers
    aka "Bush Did 9/11"
    Founder, Truthtology, est. 1952
    Prophet and Channel, God Almighty
    Author, the Holy scripture Elevenetics

"Just as jet fuel cannot melt steel beams, so too cannot the unshakeable pillars of Truthtology ever be shaken, whether by man, nature, or evidence."
    - Elevenetics

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

@jscrothers

Thank you. This all mainly started with a website called Hipster Runoff. The assessment of LDR is largely ungrounded in the stark reality of the music industry I described in an earlier post, as well as also being strangely removed from any real knowledge of Lana as an artist. That's what pretentious means. That's what a poseur is. A nobody who parrots and copy cats whilst pretending to have more knowledge (or talent or social importance) than they actually have. These people should be embarrassed of themselves, especially as adults who live in a culture where bullying is such a problem.

The problem is not disliking her music or style, but the vicious trend of talking shit about her, and also harassing her fans, like it gives them street cred or hipster badges. It's even worse because of Lanas particular work bearing very little resemblance to the Katy Perry dance pop she gets lumped in with.

Nothing like fakes making fun of a fake, and people who know very little about music pretending to be music critics.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    9w8

Never criticize a Fi user's favorite musician is the lesson I have learned today.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Conduit View Post
    Never criticize a Fi user's favorite musician is the lesson I have learned today.
    Im criticizing the phenomenon as well as defending my own interest...I have also defended Katy Perry in the past more mildly.

It gives me the creeps that the same people who praise Emile Haynie for working with Kid Cudi and Eminem trash Lana del Rey, who as a matter of fact, had severe stage fright, thus the awkward SNL performance...it's like vultures descending on a fresh kill. If that's cool I would rather be "lame."