MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w3 so/sp

What I think of this thread:

4w3 - 7w6 - 1w9 : The Idealist

Quote Originally Posted by Stephano View Post

Another parallel: He is now working in the 'adult industry'.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

I think she's gorgeous, and stylish, and I like some of her songs. That's kind of how far my opinion goes on her. I know she references a lot of history and pop culture, which I appreciate, but it's often stuff I've never taken much interest in. It's weird to me that people seem to have very strong opinions of her. I think she sort of becomes representative of a lot of things without meaning to (or maybe she is meaning to). Sx-dom for sure... Very Se/Ni. Somehow channels depth and shallowness at the same time.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

I tried really hard to get into Ultraviolence, but to no avail. A notable hook and melody is essential for me to like something, and all of it kind of blurred together in one monotonous run.

I'll look to other sources to add hipster cred to my music collection.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Stephano View Post

It's become ridiculous though, even Eminem has recently disappointed me in his obvious decline in mental health, by threatening to punch her in the face in one of his raps in order to save his waning popularity by saying something shocking about someone who is currently bigger in the music industry than he is. It makes it triple disturbing that he's a 42 year old man still condoning violence towards women in his raps (when I had recently praised him for more mature works like Beautiful, Not Afraid, and When I'm Gone) and that Lana was a former fan who openly called him a genius. Something is ugly about the way people use hating her as a meme. Don't like her music, fine, I can accept that, my own sister doesn't like her music (but apparently my mom does?) But turning her into a trendy fuck THING to be mocked, to fit in with the crowd, is lame and childish, almost as sick as mocking Britney Spears for being mentally ill, and Eminem has lost any future purchases from me, I was one of his biggest fans.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    She's a completely uninteresting doll designed and reared by the American music industry. She is to Florence and the Machine what Step It Up is to 2001.

She's nothing like Florence and the Machine (who I also admire but don't relate to her as strongly)...London Grammar is more similar to Florence, who I respect as well.

I have noticed most people who despise her don't acknowledge that she sounds almost exactly the same live (which means she has talent and isn't a music industry doll, unlike many people who sound atrocious outside the studio) and are unaware she has five (5) albums and a short film. She's a musician.

Is it totally uncool that I don't know who this person is?

I am like an old man when it comes to current musicians.

I hope I haven't come to that age where people stop enjoying or listening or trying out to new music. Old people never seem to grow a liking to listen to modern music I have noticed.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    Cat Power is cool and Adele likely has the best voice, and like you said to each their own. My ex and I both listened to Bjork and PJ Harvey, but Tori bothered him, like you, he just couldn't get into it. He was a punk baby, I was New Wave toddler, but we agreed on Nirvana, the White Stripes, Nick Cave and Interpol.

It's unnecessary to agree on all music tastes. I just get bothered when one of my favorite musicians are blatantly disrespected, and not even for musical reasons...or like what I said about Madonna...hey how come nobody is saying oh Madonna trying to look like Marilyn Monroe and Edie Sedgwick, singing about using men for money, being fabulous, succeeding, and raunchy sex to a polished pop beat...It's kind of like duh who do they think is one of Lana del Reys influences? She's an 80s baby too, the older wave of Gen Y...a lot of the arguments I hear outside of "I just don't like her music" are so irrational.

PJ Harvey is very good.
    Likes Thalassa liked this post

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    She's a completely uninteresting doll designed and reared by the American music industry. She is to Florence and the Machine what Step It Up is to 2001.

Oh btw. ..i don't think you are aware of things like this...

or have explored her older or unreleased material (the Lizzy Grant album, which even Pitchfork originally lauded, unreleased stuff on things like the God Bless America mixed tape), I think it's critical when making such a harsh judgment of a person that you are actually aware of things like their entire body of work and not one or two singles.

I have noticed time and again one of the hallmarks of the 21st century, or maybe of Gen X and Y, is talking about things people know absolutely nothing about with a critical, snooty air that reeks of the original definition of sophistry.

And I am guessing you have also never listened to Ultraviolence.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    Another parallel: He is now working in the 'adult industry'.
    Why? ....are you a fan of his work?

Here's my thing, and I said this in the people are people thread, there's a hint of misogynistic undertones to the way famous women are attacked (Britney Spears, Miley Cyrus, Amanda Bynes, Lana del Rey) and what makes it particularly sick is the presence of obvious vulnerability, making them easy targets. Amanda Bynes is severely mentally ill, Britney Spears bipolar, Miley Cyrus is clearly trying to destroy herself, and Lana del Rey is a recovered alcoholic who cries on stage because sometimes she feels her fans care more about her than she cares about herself and she's triggered to drink by the unfair unfounded criticism that attempts to flay her alive. It's DISGUSTING, especially since all of these women are talented in some way, being excellent performers of various kinds. I can't figure out why people hate them and not the people running the music industry.

I also am keen to the idea of women who have symptoms of cluster B personality disorders being exploited for their intense sexuality and emotional instability, Marilyn Monroe being an excellent example of this. I'm really disturbed by all of it, particularly since we are supposed to be living in this enlightened post feminist society.
    Likes Rose for a Heart liked this post