User Tag List

First 12

Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    Well he is VERY stream of consciousness sometimes, and doesn't vibe as strongly J or P, or even E or I. Then again if he's an INFJ mostly-counterphobic 6, which is what I'm thinking so far, that makes him kind of an unusual INFJ from the get-go. I also wonder if his gut fix is 8, because of how explosively his anger manifests itself -- also unusual for an INFJ.

Never read that book. Is it good? (I listened to his audiobook of "Attempting Normal" a bit ago and LOVED it, but I'm not sure if it would be as good on paper.)
    Yes, his counterphobic 6ness really convolutes things.

As for "The Messiah Complex", it's pretty interesting as a time capsule, if you like Maron. You don't get a lot of info in this book that wouldn't have learned from listening to of all of his podcasts. I'm actually pretty surprised he even had a book deal at that point in his career, since he seemed like a pretty minor comic figure pre-WTF. I guess because it has all the Kinison stories of sex, drugs and rock n roll, not to mention a mental breakdown, that is was deemed juicy enough. It's really not a great book though, he is certainly lacking a lot of self-awareness at that juncture in his life. I probably would not have read it, if Attempting Normal had been published at the time. He really has come a long way since starting that podcast. Not to completely knock TMC though, it's more insightful and poetic than 99% of comic memoirs. He's clearly a smart and sensitive fellow, it just wasn't quite a fully-realized memoir.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Two things:

1) I AM SEEING HIM LIVE DURING HIS "MARONATION" TOUR AND AM SO EXCITED

2) Never replied to this:
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever_Jung View Post
    Yes, his counterphobic 6ness really convolutes things.

As for "The Messiah Complex", it's pretty interesting as a time capsule, if you like Maron. You don't get a lot of info in this book that wouldn't have learned from listening to of all of his podcasts. I'm actually pretty surprised he even had a book deal at that point in his career, since he seemed like a pretty minor comic figure pre-WTF. I guess because it has all the Kinison stories of sex, drugs and rock n roll, not to mention a mental breakdown, that is was deemed juicy enough. It's really not a great book though, he is certainly lacking a lot of self-awareness at that juncture in his life. I probably would not have read it, if Attempting Normal had been published at the time. He really has come a long way since starting that podcast. Not to completely knock TMC though, it's more insightful and poetic than 99% of comic memoirs. He's clearly a smart and sensitive fellow, it just wasn't quite a fully-realized memoir.
    I listened to the audiobook of this a month or two ago, and I pretty much agree with you. "Attempting Normal" was very self-aware and insightful, but "The Jerusalem Syndrome" was un-self-aware to the point of being unsettling to hear/read. I think that's what happens when you write a mental health memoir while not entirely "out of the woods".
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

Enneagram

Two things:

1) I AM SEEING HIM LIVE DURING HIS "MARONATION" TOUR AND AM SO EXCITED
    JEALOUS! Especially because I live in a location where almost no comic of any import would ever play here. The highest profile stand-ups I get in my province are the people who used to do mtv's video-on-trial show. One time Bill Burr did a show about 100 miles from my home, and I'm still kicking myself for not realizxing until it was too late. Not that I'm even a Bill Burr fan, but STILL! Bill Burr!

MBTI
    INFJ

One of the best episodes IMO:

I knew Marc was INFx before listening to this episode, but contrast with Louie (INFP) made it clear to me that Marc is very likely INFJ. Probably 6w7=4w3/?w?, VERY clear sx-dom.

Summoning @captain curmudgeon -- and also @ZPowers, if you're still around

and @Jennifer, I think you would REALLY like this show, if you're not already into it.
    Someone sent me the one with Robin Williams, but I couldn't finish because too sad about his death. Will cue this one up for the next time I have two hours to spare.
    Likes EJCC liked this post

MBTI
    INFJ

Finally listened, then watched some Maron interviews online!

I agree that Maron could be an sx-first, and I think Louis CK isn't (he seems so/sp). I'm having trouble seeing Louis CK as INFP, though, primarily because I know so many INFPs and the overallness is too dissimilar. That said, CK does have strong Fi, I just doubt he leads with it.

As for Maron, he seems XNXP, extraverted, and likely Ne-dom. I know he's got a history of substance addiction, so there's that to consider when viewing some of his earlier appearances. But with all that factored in, my intuitive read says Maron is an ENTP; he just doesn't vibe like an Idealist. I think he has strong Fe + low Ti, which makes him seem like an NF, and he's likely spent a great chunk of his life in an Ne-Fe loop.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

One of the best episodes IMO:

I knew Marc was INFx before listening to this episode, but contrast with Louie (INFP) made it clear to me that Marc is very likely INFJ. Probably 6w7=4w3/?w?, VERY clear sx-dom.

Summoning @captain curmudgeon -- and also @ZPowers, if you're still around

and @Jennifer, I think you would REALLY like this show, if you're not already into it.
    So I've been on a Marc Maron kick since my INFP buddy recommended him, and I just saw this particular podcast. Their interaction reminds me so much of our relationship, and honestly, any other relationship I've had with e4s in particular. It's always so startling how stark and unflinching the subjects end up being, and how often the subject is us.

MBTI
    INFJ

Don't want to derail this thread, but how are people seeing Louis CK as INFP? I picked up on Fi in the Maron podcast, but there was no video, and they were discussing their personal history and friendship, which is Fi's arena. Having seen several candid interviews and some of his standup material, I don't think he's even an intuitive.

He's a risk-taker, concerned with freedom, has good business sense, and he's worked out a special deal with FX for his TV series that gives him full creative control. Apparently no one else in the entertainment business has anything like it. He took less money in lieu of full control over everything. He edits his show on his own laptop and FX basically just airs what he sends them. He's also said that he doesn't want to do his show forever. Isn't this ESTP?

I'm kind of a comedy nerd, so I really enjoy some of the insights of the interview subjects.

That said, I rarely listen to the podcast unless the guest realllly interests me, because spending time listening to Marc Maron talk is like going to the dentist. I just find him really abrasive, unpleasant, and kind of narcissistic and self-loathing at the same time. Basically, I really dislike George Carlin, and Maron reminds me of the worst of Carlin.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari
    Likes windoverlake, Ivy liked this post

Sheep pill, broster asynartetic's Avatar

I like how they play up their fake animosity toward one another whenever Marc cameos on Louie