• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Guardians of the Galaxy

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Saw it this evening. I had fun, it gave some laughs, had some fun action sequences, and was interesting in some ways -- even had a few poignant moments. I mean, I can't say it's a movie that will dramatically haunt me or anything, but I enjoyed it.

Chris Pratt IMO nailed the role of Starlord (in addition to being pretty damn hot with his shirt off). He was kinda the glue that held it all together. you could definitely tell the "real" actors from not-so-real ones. Bradley Cooper as Rocket was okay enough but didn't stand out; Pratt was great; Saldana was as solid as always, even if playing a type of character she's done a few times in the past; Dave Batista was adequate, although his physique was far more memorable than his acting ability; Vin Diesel of course didn't have much script to work with but managed to change things up a lot.

There were a few veteran actors (John C. Reilly, Glenn Close, Benicio Del Toro) who got some lines but nothing really spectacular; anyone could have been cast in those parts, it was more a "freebie" role for them. Mike Rooker of course chewed up the scenery but he was playing the same sort of character he typically plays in anything I see him in. Djimon Hounsou played his part but was kind of just a passing face. Brolin was adequate but wasted as Thanos. While Lee Pace did fine as Ronan, he was just your typically baddie villain out to gain power and destroy the world, blah blah blah.

Two standouts -- Karen Gillan as Nebula and Christopher Fairbank as the broker. Gillan I'd recently seen in Oculus and she was damned good, so I expected to see more of her in upcoming films, and here she was, one of the more memorable characters in the movie... I hope her turn here opens some more doors for her. Fairbank just really brought a lot to the role despite not having much screen time, and I'll remember him.

The movie did have a few slight missteps -- typically when there was a serious beat and you weren't sure whether there would be a joke at the end (as it often did), and when it didn't, the serious tone kind of hung too long in the silence, so it was hard to know how to process it. There were also some serious moments that flowed just fine. There were even a few brief teary moments, including the end sequence.

There's of course an additional clip after ALL the credits have rolled. Hard to tell whether it's forecasting anything, but I was laughing pretty hard at that one since I'm old enough to recognize it.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
There's of course an additional clip after ALL the credits have rolled. Hard to tell whether it's forecasting anything, but I was laughing pretty hard at that one since I'm old enough to recognize it.

:freaked:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
^^I'm not sure whether they're saying they're gonna try to make a movie or whether they're just making another joke in a movie like this one that makes so many of them.

All I gotta say is that it better have Daimon Hellstrom, Man-Thing, and KISS in it, if they do.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
^^I'm not sure whether they're saying they're gonna try to make a movie or whether they're just making another joke in a movie like this one that makes so many of them.

There was also a troll in the movie.

And I'm not much into comic books (just comic book movies with sfx), but how does this tie into the other movies? It felt kinda separate from the other MCU movies.

The other question is

Next week: Ninja Turtles!!!!!

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
There was also a troll in the movie.

Oh, I missed nathan Fillion. I think he's the bulky prisoner in the Kyln who has his sinuses cleared out by Groot. Not sure, but I think that's who.

And I'm not much into comic books (just comic book movies with sfx), but how does this tie into the other movies? It felt kinda separate from the other MCU movies.

I missed Thor 2, but i heard there might be a connection there especially in regards to the Infinity storyline / Thanos. We've had a few artifacts already and they might all be housing special stones for all I know... not sure.

EDIT: Kinda worried about Turtles. I don't get TV so I don't see commercials there, but there's been a real lack of advertising investment going on. That can't be good.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I missed Thor 2, but i heard there might be a connection there especially in regards to the Infinity storyline / Thanos. We've had a few artifacts already and they might all be housing special stones for all I know... not sure.

I saw Thor 2, and yeah, I do remember that being in one of the post-credits sequence, but usually, MCU movies have supporting characters make an appearance in all the movies, or at least mention them, Stan Lee not included.

I'm not a comic book guy, but do Guardians of the Galaxy become Avengers?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I saw Thor 2, and yeah, I do remember that being in one of the post-credits sequence, but usually, MCU movies have supporting characters make an appearance in all the movies, or at least mention them, Stan Lee not included.

I'm not a comic book guy, but do Guardians of the Galaxy become Avengers?

I haven't been reading mainstream comics very deeply for years, but it looks like they show up occasionally at least in the Avengers and/or Defenders and/or alt universe circles.

uumlau

Happy Dancer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I liked the movie overall. If this is how Disney will handle the Star Wars franchise (good characters, good interaction between characters, not taking itself too seriously), then the Star Wars movies might well be in good hands.

I like how the Marvel Cinematic Universe is attempting to tie everything together with interweaving storylines. I find that I like how the movies (and SHIELD TV series) all share events, and if something happens in one movie, it isn't going to suddenly not have happened in other movies.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Lol at the spoiler. ...loved the look of incredulity on Ronan's face. He was so taken aback after having his monolog interrupted, he had no idea what to do!

Haven

Blind Guardian
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Loved this movie, it was just hilarious and badass the whole way through.

uumlau

Happy Dancer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Yeah. This is the first movie in DECADES that I'd seriously consider to pay again to see it in theaters. I've not done so, but I'm really in a "I want to see it again, and catch anything I might have missed" mood.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah. This is the first movie in DECADES that I'd seriously consider to pay again to see it in theaters. I've not done so, but I'm really in a "I want to see it again, and catch anything I might have missed" mood.

Yeah, it's funny -- I was just here looking at the soundtrack, there's a 2-CD Deluxe with one disc of the orchestral movie music + one disc of "Awesome Mixtape 1" music... and I already feel like going back to see it again.

Which is weird for me. Usually it's flicks that move me on some deep personal level dramatically that drive me back to the theater.... but this one resonantes on some other level. It's more just, well, fun; and I guess I can still identify with the loser crowd and find the characters interesting and there's enough emotional hook to grab me sufficiently.

They also all seem "bad" but they're not really "bad" if you get my drift... just more like diamonds in the rough.

EDIT: Okay, I just REALLY looked again at your comment about "first movie in DECADES" and would like you to shaddup now, as I utterly REFUSE to admit I actually have been attending movies under my own power for "decades" at this point. STOPPPPPPPPP.....! :ack!:

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
I'm glad that Pratt is going to end up being a big star. Jurassic world here we come.