• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Movies That Still Scared You Weeks After Viewing

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
That's one of the reasons it was so fantastic. I was crappin my pants before I even knew there were subterranean, cannibal mutants.

Do you think they were descended from people that got trapped in the cave, and mutated over time? I liked that the movie didn't really spell that out.

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Do you think they were descended from people that got trapped in the cave, and mutated over time? I liked that the movie didn't really spell that out.

Ha, I didn't want to think about it too much cuz I didn't want to ruin how scary it was.

I think it's more possible that they were some type of humanoids that for whatever reason, got lost or really enjoyed the sound of caves dripping, decided to stay down there.

Now, for a human or humanoid to evolve into whatever those things were, would probably have taken millions of years so I'm doubting that as a possibility as they were rather loud (at least when attacking and feeding). And would have been detected by the U.S. Geological survey by someone.

So in short, forget all that cuz I don't know and I really liked it and what in the hell is scarier that cave darkness, have you ever been spelunking?

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Now, for a human or humanoid to evolve into whatever those things were, would probably have taken millions of years so I'm doubting that as a possibility as they were rather loud (at least when attacking and feeding). And would have been detected by the U.S. Geological survey by someone.

Yes, but this is Hollywood we are talking about. I think there are still a lot of unexplored caves, though. It kind of dovetails with the ending of the movie, which I like. There's something deeply unsettling about bodily transformation.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yes, but this is Hollywood we are talking about. I think there are still a lot of unexplored caves, though. It kind of dovetails with the ending of the movie, which I like. There's something deeply unsettling about bodily transformation.

I did read some stuff from the director this past week and their assumption was more that it was cavemen trapped in the guts of the mountain who evolved over thousands of years. (Remember the cave paintings?)

But it definitely seems true that other cavers had made it down there and just never got out again and so they adapted over time to survive. And that there ARE holes down there that provide exits from the mountain, since they were able to get carcasses down there fairly easily (all the bones).

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I did read some stuff from the director this past week and their assumption was more that it was cavemen trapped in the guts of the mountain who evolved over thousands of years. (Remember the cave paintings?)

But it definitely seems true that other cavers had made it down there and just never got out again and so they adapted over time to survive. And that there ARE holes down there that provide exits from the mountain, since they were able to get carcasses down there fairly easily (all the bones).

Oh, it must have been the UK version that I saw. I probably wouldn't like the movie as much with a different ending.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Oh, it must have been the UK version that I saw. I probably wouldn't like the movie as much with a different ending.

Yeah, I favor the original Brit ending too, although I first saw the movie here in the theater and thus the US ending. It hurts more, but it also seems more realistic and ties up the narrative progression of her "descent" from the loss she experiences in the opening scenes. Just more emotionally cohesive.

Still, that scene with her in the truck, and she pukes out the window and then ... still haunts me, lol. That was a little bit of the Asian horror influence there. Love that stuff.

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

100% there's still unexplored caves.

So one of my buddies is a caving freak, and I've been with him probably 10 times, but twice was like over 10 hours. Wild.

Anyway, he is still helping the Arkansas Geological Survey map out this ONE cave. Fenton cave.

I'll tell you, sometimes we would take breaks, but not my friend, he would go to some dark crag, and through it, then crawl on his belly for 200 feet, it was so tight, and then drop down to some area, and all but I could still hear him, faintly. Me? I'd prolly be dead, unless they came to get me. But he just sallies back in to the "camp site" and was like, "I think I found an unexplored part!" I'm like, uhhhhhh, good??

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
100% there's still unexplored caves.

So one of my buddies is a caving freak, and I've been with him probably 10 times, but twice was like over 10 hours. Wild.

Anyway, he is still helping the Arkansas Geological Survey map out this ONE cave. Fenton cave.

I'll tell you, sometimes we would take breaks, but not my friend, he would go to some dark crag, and through it, then crawl on his belly for 200 feet, it was so tight, and then drop down to some area, and all but I could still hear him, faintly. Me? I'd prolly be dead, unless they came to get me. But he just sallies back in to the "camp site" and was like, "I think I found an unexplored part!" I'm like, uhhhhhh, good??

That scares the shit out of me.

I mean, I think the exploration part is exciting, but I'm not a tiny person and am terrified of getting stuck... and once you're stuck in a place like that, you're not getting out probably. Especially when you're going in head-first. Those scenes in the movie where they were squirming through holes with no clue whether it would open back up again or not? Nope. Not doing that unless I had no choice, too high a risk factor.

Otherwise, I think caving is really exciting; I found a map in the local library of a cave right near my house when I was growing up. I never went in, but I was really really interested, especially if it was all mapped out.

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That scares the shit out of me.

I mean, I think the exploration part is exciting, but I'm not a tiny person and am terrified of getting stuck... and once you're stuck in a place like that, you're not getting out probably. Especially when you're going in head-first. Those scenes in the movie where they were squirming through holes with no clue whether it would open back up again or not? Nope. Not doing that unless I had no choice, too high a risk factor.

Otherwise, I think caving is really exciting; I found a map in the local library of a cave right near my house when I was growing up. I never went in, but I was really really interested, especially if it was all mapped out.

Well then you'll love this story!!

Maybe I should add it to "Adventures."

But anyway, we'd spent 8-10 hours in Fenton cave (who can keep track?) and the studs were talking from the beginning about which way to exit. There was about 12 of us, mostly experienced. So the leaders were like, "Ok you guys want to exit out the easy way or the hard way? The hard way has a beautiful winding, carved out section with multicolored rocks that will look brilliant when we're going through it when our headlamps hit it. We'll have to wade through it as the cold water is always flowing (that wasn't the hard part)."

"We won't get to see that if we go the other exit, but it's still nice"

"Well what's the "hard" exit like?"

"We're going to have to crawl on our bellies head to feet with our backpacks tied on our ankles through a small tunnel about 2-3 feet maximum diameter halfway filled with ice cold water, and it's about 100 feet long."

"How pretty is this winding rock formation?"

"Oh, it's incredible."

"Hard way."

So we did, haha. First of all, the winding thing was BEAUTIFUL. Almost psychedelic. Never seen anything like that in a cave. But good god, that exit, whew. Intense. Not recommended for "can we go back"ers.

TreeBob

MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
"The Day After" Post Nuclear apocalypse. I saw this when I was quite young and it frightened me so badly I was haunted by it for weeks.

This one for me as well. Pretty much any nuclear war movie. I don't think people born after the 90s can really appreciate how it felt during the the cold war (especially during the 80s).

Along the same ilk, not scary but sad, would be "Grave of the Fireflies".

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This one for me as well. Pretty much any nuclear war movie. I don't think people born after the 90s can really appreciate how it felt during the the cold war (especially during the 80s).

I agree on that. I guess 9/11 is much more a dominant thought in today's generation, but when I was growing up the thought of the USSR and USA nuking the crap out of each other (and what that would do to the world) was a very real possibility. It was such a bizarre feeling when the Wall came down and whatever else with it.

TreeBob

MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I agree on that. I guess 9/11 is much more a dominant thought in today's generation, but when I was growing up the thought of the USSR and USA nuking the crap out of each other (and what that would do to the world) was a very real possibility. It was such a bizarre feeling when the Wall came down and whatever else with it.

Exactly. Considering we have been through 9/11 and the cold war, I can say 9/11 didn't scare me very much (Well maybe that week because I live in a major city). 9/11 was a sad event but looking at it big picture it is fairly small and isolated. The scary thing about nukes is you don't have to be close to the blast to be affected or killed. In fact the bigger mercy might be getting killed in the initial explosion. The crazy thing during that time was if the US or Russia shot off even one missile, the odds of instant retaliation was such that hundreds of nukes could be shot before even one hits a target

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Jurassic park. Gave me nightmares for 6 months. I was 13 at the time - but I'd heard from somewhere that they were actually doing research in this field, which was enough to jumpstart my imagination apparently. They disappeared after I got it confirmed the rumour was untrue.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Was peer-pressured into watching "The Ring" when I was maybe 16 -- got 10-15 minutes in, to the part where they find her in the closet, and was like "NOPE" and left. Was still scared for over a month, after watching so little.

This is why I don't do horror movies. :doh:

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I watched critters when I was way too young and impressionable, had me scared for a couple of years.

Dont remember ever being scared from watching a movie other than that one.

lowtech redneck

MBTI Type
INTP
I generally don't actually get scared watching horror movies (though possession movies do disturb me for reasons relating to my OCD symptoms during childhood), I just watch them to satisfy my morbid streak, occasionally spiced with brief feelings of mild terror or doom if the movies are done well. I've discovered, however, that listening to well-done 'creepypasata' readings on Youtube actually gives me goose bumps (and an aversion to darkened rooms with mirrors while preparing to leave for work)-my theory is that the tone and cadence of the speaker trick my subconscious into mirroring their apparent emotional state.

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have Event Horizon on Bluray, but if I had seen it before I watched it, I wouldn't have bought it.
For some reason, I found it predictable and laughable rather than scary, which was disappointing.

I guess "different strokes" and all that.

It may indeed be different strokes, but part of me wonders. I first watched it on a TV before flat screens. Grainy quality, at night, with some friends and we were all high as hell and just no one spoke during the movie, we were all so into it.

I've seen it since, and agree that not all the special effects are up to par, but the story itself and the first experience of me watching it still was horrifying. Not trying to change your opinion just saying I think movies have a lot to do with mindset and uh, drugs consumed, haha. Other factors.

One reason I HATE 120HZ TVs, because the frame rate or whatever is so high, that it feels like you're on the set of the movie and not watching a story, if you know what I mean.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It may indeed be different strokes, but part of me wonders. I first watched it on a TV before flat screens. Grainy quality, at night, with some friends and we were all high as hell and just no one spoke during the movie, we were all so into it.

I've seen it since, and agree that not all the special effects are up to par, but the story itself and the first experience of me watching it still was horrifying. Not trying to change your opinion just saying I think movies have a lot to do with mindset and uh, drugs consumed, haha. Other factors.

One reason I HATE 120HZ TVs, because the frame rate or whatever is so high, that it feels like you're on the set of the movie and not watching a story, if you know what I mean.

Well, I just found the actual writing / execution to be on a B movie level -- it left me more prone to laugh than be scared -- but I was definitely sober while watching.

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well, I just found the actual writing / execution to be on a B movie level -- it left me more prone to laugh than be scared -- but I was definitely sober while watching.

Sober?? See that's your problem.