• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Movies That Still Scared You Weeks After Viewing

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm talking about scary movies you saw when you were old enough to know the difference between movie and reality. Before around age 10 or 11, it's hard for children to distinguish between fantasy and reality so they are more readily affected. I saw this ad for some scary movie which claimed it will disturb your sleep for weeks after viewing it. But the only movie that's ever put that much fear into me was Jaws. For weeks after watching Jaws I hated to be in any bodies of water the size of a public swimming pool or larger. It's not that I didn't go swimming, but when I did go swimming or wading it was accompanied by this really spooky feeling like something dangerous was lurking in the water. No other movie has had that much effect on me after age 12.

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
American Tail :D

I don't even remember much of the it, but I remembered that the stormy ocean looked very scary and evil when they were on the ship, so I never went swimming after dark again. Must have been very young...

Bullet

I first watched the Exorcist alone in my room when I was a teenager. I don't recall being utterly mortified, though it was sufficiently scary. Overall, it's a frightening horror movie worthy of its reputation, despite the more cheesy elements. To this day, I still get creeped out when I see this picture. It's so...diabolical.

245990_1243904947175_full.jpg

I think they should edit the original film like they did with Star Wars. Remove the silly scene where her head turns all the way around and possibly a few other cheesy scenes that I don't recall. Alter the voice to sound deeper, more menacing and less European; after all, the story took place in the US. Much like Darth Vader's voice, it's kind've hard to take possessed Regan's voice seriously. Still...I think it's one of the best horror movies of all time!

Arctic Hysteria

an abyss of Nothingness
MBTI Type
IxFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It has to be A Nightmare On Elm Street.
It still scared me YEARS after viewing, not just weeks. That scene with the body bag dragging along the school hall. And that scene when the kid got sucked into the bed and blood erupted from the same spot all over the ceiling. And that scene where the Freddy's tongue stuck out from the phone and licked Nancy's face. I am scared right now thinking about those scenes!
:beathorse:

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I first watched the Exorcist alone in my room when I was a teenager. I don't recall being utterly mortified, though it was sufficiently scary. Overall, it's a frightening horror movie worthy of its reputation, despite the more cheesy elements. To this day, I still get creeped out when I see this picture. It's so...diabolical.

245990_1243904947175_full.jpg

I think they should edit the original film like they did with Star Wars. Remove the silly scene where her head turns all the way around and possibly a few other cheesy scenes that I don't recall. Alter the voice to sound deeper, more menacing and less European; after all, the story took place in the US. Much like Darth Vader's voice, it's kind've hard to take possessed Regan's voice seriously. Still...I think it's one of the best horror movies of all time!
between the ages of 8 and 10 on several occasions I would turn on the exorcist and inevitably my brother would come in and refuse to let me watch it. of course when I was those ages I had constant nightmares.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Child's Play 1 & Candyman

Riva

Enneagram
7w8
Is it normal for a man in his mid twenties to still be occasionally afraid of the dark and imagine about ghosts?

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
American Tail :D

I don't even remember much of the it, but I remembered that the stormy ocean looked very scary and evil when they were on the ship, so I never went swimming after dark again. Must have been very young...

Perhaps. But in the OP I specified being old enough to know the difference between fantasy and reality. Of course I was scared shitless for weeks or even years by some things I saw on TV when I was 6 years old. But that doesn't count, I wasn't old enough to avoid being affected by it.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It has to be A Nightmare On Elm Street.
It still scared me YEARS after viewing, not just weeks. That scene with the body bag dragging along the school hall. And that scene when the kid got sucked into the bed and blood erupted from the same spot all over the ceiling...

You know who "the kid" was, don't you?
Johnny Depp. <-- that's what REALLY makes that scene a classic.

Anyway, I agree. That movie is a classic, and one of the worst parts is that it blurs reality and dream together so well that you can't be sure what's real. You're always wondering whether what you think is real is actually a dream. So even when you're safe, you feel in danger.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Amityville Horror - ugh, pleeease tell me we don't have a hell portal here.

Psycho - i'm so vulnerable when i shower. fuck. what was that noise?

Twister (haha, totally serious.) - damn, tornadoes! you scary.

Noll

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
Saw III when I was 9 years old, I wasn't scared to tears, but I was paranoid that Amanda Young with the pig mask would jump out of every obstacle I walked past. Billy the Puppet also creeped me out, at the same time I actually liked the creepiness of the pig mask and Billy the Puppet, just like I did with the atmosphere of the Silent Hill videogames. I've always been fascinated by things that are scary in that way.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Saw III when I was 9 years old, I wasn't scared to tears, but I was paranoid that Amanda Young with the pig mask would jump out of every obstacle I walked past. Billy the Puppet also creeped me out, at the same time I actually liked the creepiness of the pig mask and Billy the Puppet, just like I did with the atmosphere of the Silent Hill videogames. I've always been fascinated by things that are scary in that way.

Do you have any examples from a time when you knew the difference between fantasy and reality?

Noll

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
Do you have any examples from a time when you knew the difference between fantasy and reality?
I did when I was 9. Well, now that I think about it I suppose the paranoia proves I didn't, sorry.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
None, really. I was raised with a kind of fantastical world-view, I was taught there were real evil things waiting to take advantage of us. I was more afraid of that than something in the movies. My fears are still more about the world I live in.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I did when I was 9. Well, now that I think about it I suppose the paranoia proves I didn't, sorry.

Not necessarily. But to be fair, the age of reality/fantasy discrimination is controversial and occurs in piecemeal fashion. I wouldn't point to the average age at which children stop believing in Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy as proof. But if you yourself were that brilliant at the age of 9, then so be it.