User Tag List

First 45678 Last

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by ginniebean View Post
    "The Day After" Post Nuclear apocalypse. I saw this when I was quite young and it frightened me so badly I was haunted by it for weeks.
    This one for me as well. Pretty much any nuclear war movie. I don't think people born after the 90s can really appreciate how it felt during the the cold war (especially during the 80s).

Along the same ilk, not scary but sad, would be "Grave of the Fireflies".
    Don't like my modera... Oh wait, wrong forum. Carry on.

ESTP, 8w7 sx/sp

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by TreeBob View Post
    This one for me as well. Pretty much any nuclear war movie. I don't think people born after the 90s can really appreciate how it felt during the the cold war (especially during the 80s).
    I agree on that. I guess 9/11 is much more a dominant thought in today's generation, but when I was growing up the thought of the USSR and USA nuking the crap out of each other (and what that would do to the world) was a very real possibility. It was such a bizarre feeling when the Wall came down and whatever else with it.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I agree on that. I guess 9/11 is much more a dominant thought in today's generation, but when I was growing up the thought of the USSR and USA nuking the crap out of each other (and what that would do to the world) was a very real possibility. It was such a bizarre feeling when the Wall came down and whatever else with it.
    Exactly. Considering we have been through 9/11 and the cold war, I can say 9/11 didn't scare me very much (Well maybe that week because I live in a major city). 9/11 was a sad event but looking at it big picture it is fairly small and isolated. The scary thing about nukes is you don't have to be close to the blast to be affected or killed. In fact the bigger mercy might be getting killed in the initial explosion. The crazy thing during that time was if the US or Russia shot off even one missile, the odds of instant retaliation was such that hundreds of nukes could be shot before even one hits a target
    Don't like my modera... Oh wait, wrong forum. Carry on.

ESTP, 8w7 sx/sp

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Jurassic park. Gave me nightmares for 6 months. I was 13 at the time - but I'd heard from somewhere that they were actually doing research in this field, which was enough to jumpstart my imagination apparently. They disappeared after I got it confirmed the rumour was untrue.
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Was peer-pressured into watching "The Ring" when I was maybe 16 -- got 10-15 minutes in, to the part where they find her in the closet, and was like "NOPE" and left. Was still scared for over a month, after watching so little.

This is why I don't do horror movies.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

I watched critters when I was way too young and impressionable, had me scared for a couple of years.

Dont remember ever being scared from watching a movie other than that one.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    INTP

I generally don't actually get scared watching horror movies (though possession movies do disturb me for reasons relating to my OCD symptoms during childhood), I just watch them to satisfy my morbid streak, occasionally spiced with brief feelings of mild terror or doom if the movies are done well. I've discovered, however, that listening to well-done 'creepypasata' readings on Youtube actually gives me goose bumps (and an aversion to darkened rooms with mirrors while preparing to leave for work)-my theory is that the tone and cadence of the speaker trick my subconscious into mirroring their apparent emotional state.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

I have Event Horizon on Bluray, but if I had seen it before I watched it, I wouldn't have bought it.
    For some reason, I found it predictable and laughable rather than scary, which was disappointing.

I guess "different strokes" and all that.
    It may indeed be different strokes, but part of me wonders. I first watched it on a TV before flat screens. Grainy quality, at night, with some friends and we were all high as hell and just no one spoke during the movie, we were all so into it.

I've seen it since, and agree that not all the special effects are up to par, but the story itself and the first experience of me watching it still was horrifying. Not trying to change your opinion just saying I think movies have a lot to do with mindset and uh, drugs consumed, haha. Other factors.

One reason I HATE 120HZ TVs, because the frame rate or whatever is so high, that it feels like you're on the set of the movie and not watching a story, if you know what I mean.
    I've had this ice cream bar, since I was a child!

Each thought's completely warped
    I'm like a walkin', talkin', ouija board.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyyukon View Post
    It may indeed be different strokes, but part of me wonders. I first watched it on a TV before flat screens. Grainy quality, at night, with some friends and we were all high as hell and just no one spoke during the movie, we were all so into it.

I've seen it since, and agree that not all the special effects are up to par, but the story itself and the first experience of me watching it still was horrifying. Not trying to change your opinion just saying I think movies have a lot to do with mindset and uh, drugs consumed, haha. Other factors.

One reason I HATE 120HZ TVs, because the frame rate or whatever is so high, that it feels like you're on the set of the movie and not watching a story, if you know what I mean.
    Well, I just found the actual writing / execution to be on a B movie level -- it left me more prone to laugh than be scared -- but I was definitely sober while watching.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

Well, I just found the actual writing / execution to be on a B movie level -- it left me more prone to laugh than be scared -- but I was definitely sober while watching.
    Sober?? See that's your problem.
    I've had this ice cream bar, since I was a child!

Each thought's completely warped
    I'm like a walkin', talkin', ouija board.