First 34567 Last

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyyukon View Post
    That's one of the reasons it was so fantastic. I was crappin my pants before I even knew there were subterranean, cannibal mutants.
    Do you think they were descended from people that got trapped in the cave, and mutated over time? I liked that the movie didn't really spell that out.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    Do you think they were descended from people that got trapped in the cave, and mutated over time? I liked that the movie didn't really spell that out.
    Ha, I didn't want to think about it too much cuz I didn't want to ruin how scary it was.

I think it's more possible that they were some type of humanoids that for whatever reason, got lost or really enjoyed the sound of caves dripping, decided to stay down there.

Now, for a human or humanoid to evolve into whatever those things were, would probably have taken millions of years so I'm doubting that as a possibility as they were rather loud (at least when attacking and feeding). And would have been detected by the U.S. Geological survey by someone.

So in short, forget all that cuz I don't know and I really liked it and what in the hell is scarier that cave darkness, have you ever been spelunking?
    I've had this ice cream bar, since I was a child!

Each thought's completely warped
    I'm like a walkin', talkin', ouija board.

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Now, for a human or humanoid to evolve into whatever those things were, would probably have taken millions of years so I'm doubting that as a possibility as they were rather loud (at least when attacking and feeding). And would have been detected by the U.S. Geological survey by someone.
    Yes, but this is Hollywood we are talking about. I think there are still a lot of unexplored caves, though. It kind of dovetails with the ending of the movie, which I like. There's something deeply unsettling about bodily transformation.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

Visit my Johari:

Friday the 13th part 2
    Masculine presenting transgender lesbian

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Yes, but this is Hollywood we are talking about. I think there are still a lot of unexplored caves, though. It kind of dovetails with the ending of the movie, which I like. There's something deeply unsettling about bodily transformation.
    I did read some stuff from the director this past week and their assumption was more that it was cavemen trapped in the guts of the mountain who evolved over thousands of years. (Remember the cave paintings?)

But it definitely seems true that other cavers had made it down there and just never got out again and so they adapted over time to survive. And that there ARE holes down there that provide exits from the mountain, since they were able to get carcasses down there fairly easily (all the bones).

"Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I did read some stuff from the director this past week and their assumption was more that it was cavemen trapped in the guts of the mountain who evolved over thousands of years. (Remember the cave paintings?)

But it definitely seems true that other cavers had made it down there and just never got out again and so they adapted over time to survive. And that there ARE holes down there that provide exits from the mountain, since they were able to get carcasses down there fairly easily (all the bones).

Oh, it must have been the UK version that I saw. I probably wouldn't like the movie as much with a different ending.

Visit my Johari:

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Oh, it must have been the UK version that I saw. I probably wouldn't like the movie as much with a different ending.
    Yeah, I favor the original Brit ending too, although I first saw the movie here in the theater and thus the US ending. It hurts more, but it also seems more realistic and ties up the narrative progression of her "descent" from the loss she experiences in the opening scenes. Just more emotionally cohesive.

Still, that scene with her in the truck, and she pukes out the window and then ... still haunts me, lol. That was a little bit of the Asian horror influence there. Love that stuff.

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

100% there's still unexplored caves.

So one of my buddies is a caving freak, and I've been with him probably 10 times, but twice was like over 10 hours. Wild.

Anyway, he is still helping the Arkansas Geological Survey map out this ONE cave. Fenton cave.

I'll tell you, sometimes we would take breaks, but not my friend, he would go to some dark crag, and through it, then crawl on his belly for 200 feet, it was so tight, and then drop down to some area, and all but I could still hear him, faintly. Me? I'd prolly be dead, unless they came to get me. But he just sallies back in to the "camp site" and was like, "I think I found an unexplored part!" I'm like, uhhhhhh, good??

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

100% there's still unexplored caves.

So one of my buddies is a caving freak, and I've been with him probably 10 times, but twice was like over 10 hours. Wild.

Anyway, he is still helping the Arkansas Geological Survey map out this ONE cave. Fenton cave.

I'll tell you, sometimes we would take breaks, but not my friend, he would go to some dark crag, and through it, then crawl on his belly for 200 feet, it was so tight, and then drop down to some area, and all but I could still hear him, faintly. Me? I'd prolly be dead, unless they came to get me. But he just sallies back in to the "camp site" and was like, "I think I found an unexplored part!" I'm like, uhhhhhh, good??
    That scares the shit out of me.

I mean, I think the exploration part is exciting, but I'm not a tiny person and am terrified of getting stuck... and once you're stuck in a place like that, you're not getting out probably. Especially when you're going in head-first. Those scenes in the movie where they were squirming through holes with no clue whether it would open back up again or not? Nope. Not doing that unless I had no choice, too high a risk factor.

Otherwise, I think caving is really exciting; I found a map in the local library of a cave right near my house when I was growing up. I never went in, but I was really really interested, especially if it was all mapped out.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    That scares the shit out of me.

I mean, I think the exploration part is exciting, but I'm not a tiny person and am terrified of getting stuck... and once you're stuck in a place like that, you're not getting out probably. Especially when you're going in head-first. Those scenes in the movie where they were squirming through holes with no clue whether it would open back up again or not? Nope. Not doing that unless I had no choice, too high a risk factor.

Otherwise, I think caving is really exciting; I found a map in the local library of a cave right near my house when I was growing up. I never went in, but I was really really interested, especially if it was all mapped out.
    Well then you'll love this story!!

Maybe I should add it to "Adventures."

But anyway, we'd spent 8-10 hours in Fenton cave (who can keep track?) and the studs were talking from the beginning about which way to exit. There was about 12 of us, mostly experienced. So the leaders were like, "Ok you guys want to exit out the easy way or the hard way? The hard way has a beautiful winding, carved out section with multicolored rocks that will look brilliant when we're going through it when our headlamps hit it. We'll have to wade through it as the cold water is always flowing (that wasn't the hard part)."

"We won't get to see that if we go the other exit, but it's still nice"

"Well what's the "hard" exit like?"

"We're going to have to crawl on our bellies head to feet with our backpacks tied on our ankles through a small tunnel about 2-3 feet maximum diameter halfway filled with ice cold water, and it's about 100 feet long."

"How pretty is this winding rock formation?"

"Oh, it's incredible."

"Hard way."

So we did, haha. First of all, the winding thing was BEAUTIFUL. Almost psychedelic. Never seen anything like that in a cave. But good god, that exit, whew. Intense. Not recommended for "can we go back"ers.