User Tag List

Default Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie: What Happened?

Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie: What Happened?

I loved this show and still watch it fairly often. The movie was one of the biggest letdowns ever. This is a pretty good example of what happens when clueless Hollywood executives meddle with the artists' and craftsmen's process instead of focusing on marketing and distribution, as they should.

MBTI
    PORG
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

The point the article that makes about how some aspects of the movie influenced the sci-fi channel years is interesting, though. The SOL model they used after that appeared to have been the one from the movie.

The thing about the movie is that it's so short. It's much shorter than any episode of the show. I think there are funny moments, though. I'd like to see the original This Island Earth, because it seemed to me like they never spent enough time on Metaluna. As soon as they get there, it ends up destroyed. It was probably one of the more ambitious sci-fi movies until 2001, as far as I can tell.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    The point the article that makes about how some aspects of the movie influenced the sci-fi channel years is interesting, though. The SOL model they used after that appeared to have been the one from the movie.

The thing about the movie is that it's so short. It's much shorter than any episode of the show. I think there are funny moments, though. I'd like to see the original This Island Earth, because it seemed to me like they never spent enough time on Metaluna. As soon as they get there, it ends up destroyed. It was probably one of the more ambitious sci-fi movies until 2001, as far as I can tell.
    It's not a terrible film, so it makes for awkward riffing at times. The film should've been at least an hour and forty mintues.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I remember when I first saw MST3K in the early 90's and I thought it was one of the funniest things I'd ever seen. Netflix has released a few of the episodes online, at least, which is cool.

There's always a fine line being walked by creative energy and critique/marketing/packaging, and it's so easy for something to get ruined in the process. Over the years, I've seen creative energy that was misdirected be reshaped and ultimately presented in a way that makes it more effective; and I have also seen studio meddling destroy something that had already proven its effectiveness so that it wasn't up to par with what had already been achieved. It all depends on the quality of the people involved in the project.

EDIT: Okay, to really meta this, we should start our own MST2014, where we heckle the heckling of the MSTK3 episodes.

Person 1. "Leona Helmsley? WTF is that? Someone Gary Hart went boating with?"
    person 2. "WTF's Gary Hart?"
    Person 3. "I bet his boat was called the Queen of Mean."
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I remember when I first saw MST3K in the early 90's and I thought it was one of the funniest things I'd ever seen. Netflix has released a few of the episodes online, at least, which is cool.

There's always a fine line being walked by creative energy and critique/marketing/packaging, and it's so easy for something to get ruined in the process. Over the years, I've seen creative energy that was misdirected be reshaped and ultimately presented in a way that makes it more effective; and I have also seen studio meddling destroy something that had already proven its effectiveness so that it wasn't up to par with what had already been achieved. It all depends on the quality of the people involved in the project.

EDIT: Okay, to really meta this, we should start our own MST2014, where we heckle the heckling of the MSTK3 episodes.

Person 1. "Leona Helmsley? WTF is that? Someone Gary Hart went boating with?"
    person 2. "WTF's Gary Hart?"
    Person 3. "I bet his boat was called the Queen of Mean."
    Yes, many of their references are dated now. I can see how this show might go completely over the heads of people who didn't watch it when it aired or don't have wikipedia open to look up every obscure pop culture reference.