• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie: What Happened?

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie: What Happened?

I loved this show and still watch it fairly often. The movie was one of the biggest letdowns ever. This is a pretty good example of what happens when clueless Hollywood executives meddle with the artists' and craftsmen's process instead of focusing on marketing and distribution, as they should.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
The point the article that makes about how some aspects of the movie influenced the sci-fi channel years is interesting, though. The SOL model they used after that appeared to have been the one from the movie.

The thing about the movie is that it's so short. It's much shorter than any episode of the show. I think there are funny moments, though. I'd like to see the original This Island Earth, because it seemed to me like they never spent enough time on Metaluna. As soon as they get there, it ends up destroyed. It was probably one of the more ambitious sci-fi movies until 2001, as far as I can tell.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The point the article that makes about how some aspects of the movie influenced the sci-fi channel years is interesting, though. The SOL model they used after that appeared to have been the one from the movie.

The thing about the movie is that it's so short. It's much shorter than any episode of the show. I think there are funny moments, though. I'd like to see the original This Island Earth, because it seemed to me like they never spent enough time on Metaluna. As soon as they get there, it ends up destroyed. It was probably one of the more ambitious sci-fi movies until 2001, as far as I can tell.

It's not a terrible film, so it makes for awkward riffing at times. The film should've been at least an hour and forty mintues.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I remember when I first saw MST3K in the early 90's and I thought it was one of the funniest things I'd ever seen. Netflix has released a few of the episodes online, at least, which is cool.

There's always a fine line being walked by creative energy and critique/marketing/packaging, and it's so easy for something to get ruined in the process. Over the years, I've seen creative energy that was misdirected be reshaped and ultimately presented in a way that makes it more effective; and I have also seen studio meddling destroy something that had already proven its effectiveness so that it wasn't up to par with what had already been achieved. It all depends on the quality of the people involved in the project.

EDIT: Okay, to really meta this, we should start our own MST2014, where we heckle the heckling of the MSTK3 episodes.

Person 1. "Leona Helmsley? WTF is that? Someone Gary Hart went boating with?"
person 2. "WTF's Gary Hart?"
Person 3. "I bet his boat was called the Queen of Mean."

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I remember when I first saw MST3K in the early 90's and I thought it was one of the funniest things I'd ever seen. Netflix has released a few of the episodes online, at least, which is cool.

There's always a fine line being walked by creative energy and critique/marketing/packaging, and it's so easy for something to get ruined in the process. Over the years, I've seen creative energy that was misdirected be reshaped and ultimately presented in a way that makes it more effective; and I have also seen studio meddling destroy something that had already proven its effectiveness so that it wasn't up to par with what had already been achieved. It all depends on the quality of the people involved in the project.

EDIT: Okay, to really meta this, we should start our own MST2014, where we heckle the heckling of the MSTK3 episodes.

Person 1. "Leona Helmsley? WTF is that? Someone Gary Hart went boating with?"
person 2. "WTF's Gary Hart?"
Person 3. "I bet his boat was called the Queen of Mean."

Yes, many of their references are dated now. I can see how this show might go completely over the heads of people who didn't watch it when it aired or don't have wikipedia open to look up every obscure pop culture reference.