• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Catfish: The TV show

Saft

Permabanned
Anyone watch this show?

I think this show is great. I find it very entertaining.

What do you think about the people that are being catfished on the show? Do you feel bad for them? I find it pretty hard to feel bad for them, because in most cases, it is so blatantly obvious that they are being lied to, and they simply refuse to believe it even when there is overwhelming evidence right in their face. What do you think about the people doing the catfishing?

Anyone got any ‘catfish’ stories? Ever been catfished online or know someone who’s experienced this?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I haven't watched the show but I watched the movie/doc (which I guess preceded the show)? I thought it was pretty awesome, and rather fascinating.

Internet relationships/contacts are kinda "buyer-beware." I had my first run-in well before the Internet, when a nice guy I knew on summer camp staff back in the mid 80's claimed that he had written Chicago's "hard Habit to Break" and played a mix on a tape that he claimed was the sample tape they used to sell it to the band. Because he was a nice guy, and a friend, and I didn't have any reason to assume he was lying, and because of the tape (which to me was evidence), I believed him and was resistant for a bit when people told me he was a liar and had some issues... although I finally did realize they were correct. Then I felt pretty stupid and it taught me a lesson.

I realized, though, that the guy wasn't trying to be a jerk or abusive of trust even if that was one of the outcomes -- he was just pretty insecure and also developed these fantasies to bolster his fragile sense of self. He wasn't actively trying to hurt people. So it made me skeptical in a positive way of those kinds of claims in the future. I am reminded of the woman in the documentary who didn't seem to want to hurt people but for some reason had to develop this elaborate fantasy to feel good about her life.

I don't know what the people are like on the show, either the catfish or the people being catfish'ed. I just think it behooves people to be balanced about it -- healthy skepticism is good. No need to be cynical or nasty towards people, but at the same time until you get some real evidence, take things with a grain of salt. We are often fooled because we want to be or allow ourselves to be.

Saft

Permabanned
I haven't watched the show but I watched the movie/doc (which I guess preceded the show)? I thought it was pretty awesome, and rather fascinating.

You gotta watch the show, it's great. Then you can tell us What Jenny Saw.

he was just pretty insecure and also developed these fantasies to bolster his fragile sense of self. He wasn't actively trying to hurt people.

I am reminded of the woman in the documentary who didn't seem to want to hurt people but for some reason had to develop this elaborate fantasy to feel good about her life.

These things do seem to be the main underlying motivations of a lot of the catfishers.

We are often fooled because we want to be or allow ourselves to be.

Very true.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i totally.meant to.post this thread after i saw the show and then.watched the movie.

someone on.here has to have some good stories and omg that chick in the movie. that's like a whole other.level of crazy.

this phone puts.periods after every word and i.Just can't deal with fixing it right now.

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
i love catfish so much. i don't feel too bad for anyone, because it's 2014 and there's no excuse for not being able to prove it. it's so fucking entertaining though. especially the super crazy reveals.

Saft

Permabanned
i love catfish so much.

Me too. A lot of times it gives me great feelings of schadenfreude.

i don't feel too bad for anyone, because it's 2014 and there's no excuse for not being able to prove it.

Exactly.

This was originally my all-time favorite episode, but then rumors started going around that the two guys in this episode knew each other beforehand, and that this episode was fake. I didn’t want to believe it, but apparently it was true. Some people say they tricked the show and others are saying the producers knew. I was devastated. It was the same feeling I felt as a kid when I found out WWF wrestling wasn’t real. I’m purposely not looking too much into how this show is done. I don’t want to find out other things are fake. It will ruin the entertainment value this show has for me.

I guess those two guys thought that something positive would come out of them appearing on the show, but now they’re laughing stocks and pretty bitter about the whole thing.

This is a video they made talking about it..

Artis & Justin shoot on MTV - YouTube

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This was originally my all-time favorite episode, but then rumors started going around that the two guys in this episode knew each other beforehand, and that this episode was fake. I didn’t want to believe it, but apparently it was true. Some people say they tricked the show and others are saying the producers knew. I was devastated. It was the same feeling I felt as a kid when I found out WWF wrestling wasn’t real. I’m purposely not looking too much into how this show is done. I don’t want to find out other things are fake. It will ruin the entertainment value this show has for me.

I guess those two guys thought that something positive would come out of them appearing on the show, but now they’re laughing stocks and pretty bitter about the whole thing.

This is a video they made talking about it..

Artis & Justin shoot on MTV - YouTube

what i've read is that the producers know everything ahead of time, and sometimes the catfish is the one that initially contacts them. but they send nev & max into it blindly and make them do their own investigating, so it has some bit of truth to it. and yeah i watched that video.. i'm not sure they knew each other beforehand but definitely justin was playing up the craziness for attention/good tv, and i'm sure contacted the show himself (because artis seems like a complete idiot lmao.. i saw a joke about that video saying justin was holding him hostage and #freeartis ). still hilarious regardless. and if either of them really thought they'd become successful off an episode of catfish :doh:

Saft

Permabanned
what i've read is that the producers know everything ahead of time, and sometimes the catfish is the one that initially contacts them. but they send nev & max into it blindly and make them do their own investigating, so it has some bit of truth to it.

Ah, I see.

What's your take on that guy Nev? You think he's legit and who he portray's himself to be?

He's pretty slick and has a way with words. He seemed genuine to me at first, but after finding all this out I'm a lot more skeptical now.

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ah, I see.

What's your take on that guy Nev? You think he's legit and who he portray's himself to be?

He's pretty slick and has a way with words. He seemed genuine to me at first, but after finding all this out I'm a lot more skeptical now.

well i learned that he got expelled from sarah lawrence for punching a girl in the face :shock: that has kinda altered my perception of him. especially since he's seemed to have more temper tantrums on the show lately.

qx8IpdO.jpg

Saft

Permabanned
well i learned that he got expelled from sarah lawrence for punching a girl in the face :shock:

Damn, that's crazy.

He comes across as ENFJ to me, which means he'll be really good at hiding his dark side.

especially since he's seemed to have more temper tantrums on the show lately.

haha. Like when he threw that guys cell phone in the water. That shit was hilarious.

... This weeks episode had a bit of a twist at the end. It turned out to be somewhat of a happy ending.

I don't like the happy endings. :mad:

Unkindloving

Lungs & Lips Locked
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I've been catfished before the term was coined. I was in a year and a half relationship where I talked to the lad every day, multiple times a day. I had over 100 pictures of him, and 30 of his intimate bits (definitely the same lad). Any plans to meet were fouled by supposed family health issues or personal health issues. We didn't video chat because I don't believe I had a webcam and I was also very self conscious.
Turned out instead of being a 23 year old skinny white boy with asthma, it was a 27 year old obese lesbian that sounded like a said boy. Don't know why she lied and led me on. Tried to speak to her for two weeks after but found out most of what she told me was bs, so it killed all the feelings.

I hadn't watched the show, maybe avoiding it. I just started a last month and caught the very first documentary first, when I thought I was catching a random episode. Now I am hooked and with it weekly. I find it interesting because most of the people right their wrongs when confronted, and most of them have reasons they didn't previously examine. It's just a shame that people do this to one another. I'm also surprised that the people being catfished arrant furious enough to tell and almost fight, but also I do remember the feelings I felt, which were hard to really put into actions or know what to do with .
I am surprised by the stories where the people are legit, but still don't think they are reasonable

Saft

Permabanned
Turned out instead of being a 23 year old skinny white boy with asthma, it was a 27 year old obese lesbian that sounded like a said boy. Don't know why she lied and led me on. Tried to speak to her for two weeks after but found out most of what she told me was bs, so it killed all the feelings.

Crazy shit yo... How did you end up finding out?

Hitoshi-San

MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
???
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I've definitely seen this show before. Those reveals though......wow. The people that are getting catfished on the show, I don't think are using much common sense. Like, in one episode a guy was describing the "hot girl" as being too good to be true. If someone is automatically adding you as a friend and they don't know anyone you know or you've never heard of them, that's probably a warning sign.

As for the people that do catfish, you can't help but feel sort of bad for them. They need help though. More than likely, they're struggling with something from their entire life and just don't know how to deal with it, so leading on a unrealistic relationship with someone makes them feel complete.

kiddykat

movin melodies
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4, 7
I saw 2 episodes.. seems like the show's a bit scripted and fake, some stories are real..

I'm kinda ashamed people like that exist. But, they seem to shoot people from the outskirts of society.. like families from the prairie farms of the U.S. overly exaggerated (or maybe people like that do exist?).

It's like a longer drawn out version of Jerry Springer, except the film guy is a total narcissist. I love how he likes to film himself with his shirt unbottoned and scruffy hair looks like he rolled out of bed and tries to look like a bad boy but just looks like a total douche! He probably ejaculates on himself just filming himself.

Unkindloving

Lungs & Lips Locked
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Crazy shit yo... How did you end up finding out?
If I remember right, "he" told me names of friends and I managed to track down their myspace accounts. I looked through their friend lists to see if anyone resonated and one struck me as off, but I didn't think much of it.
"He" then disappeared for a few months while we were dating, and came back, which is when I did more recon and noticed that "his" AIM tag line about three days of working at walmart matched that profile I found sketchy word for word. I confronted with a link to the profile asking why there were strange similarities between "him" and this girl. Bam answer.