User Tag List

12 Last

Permabanned

Default Catfish: The TV show

Anyone watch this show?

I think this show is great. I find it very entertaining.

What do you think about the people that are being catfished on the show? Do you feel bad for them? I find it pretty hard to feel bad for them, because in most cases, it is so blatantly obvious that they are being lied to, and they simply refuse to believe it even when there is overwhelming evidence right in their face. What do you think about the people doing the catfishing?

Anyone got any ‘catfish’ stories? Ever been catfished online or know someone who’s experienced this?

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I haven't watched the show but I watched the movie/doc (which I guess preceded the show)? I thought it was pretty awesome, and rather fascinating.

Internet relationships/contacts are kinda "buyer-beware." I had my first run-in well before the Internet, when a nice guy I knew on summer camp staff back in the mid 80's claimed that he had written Chicago's "hard Habit to Break" and played a mix on a tape that he claimed was the sample tape they used to sell it to the band. Because he was a nice guy, and a friend, and I didn't have any reason to assume he was lying, and because of the tape (which to me was evidence), I believed him and was resistant for a bit when people told me he was a liar and had some issues... although I finally did realize they were correct. Then I felt pretty stupid and it taught me a lesson.

I realized, though, that the guy wasn't trying to be a jerk or abusive of trust even if that was one of the outcomes -- he was just pretty insecure and also developed these fantasies to bolster his fragile sense of self. He wasn't actively trying to hurt people. So it made me skeptical in a positive way of those kinds of claims in the future. I am reminded of the woman in the documentary who didn't seem to want to hurt people but for some reason had to develop this elaborate fantasy to feel good about her life.

I don't know what the people are like on the show, either the catfish or the people being catfish'ed. I just think it behooves people to be balanced about it -- healthy skepticism is good. No need to be cynical or nasty towards people, but at the same time until you get some real evidence, take things with a grain of salt. We are often fooled because we want to be or allow ourselves to be.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I haven't watched the show but I watched the movie/doc (which I guess preceded the show)? I thought it was pretty awesome, and rather fascinating.
    You gotta watch the show, it's great. Then you can tell us What Jenny Saw.

he was just pretty insecure and also developed these fantasies to bolster his fragile sense of self. He wasn't actively trying to hurt people.
    I am reminded of the woman in the documentary who didn't seem to want to hurt people but for some reason had to develop this elaborate fantasy to feel good about her life.
    These things do seem to be the main underlying motivations of a lot of the catfishers.

We are often fooled because we want to be or allow ourselves to be.
    Very true.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

i totally.meant to.post this thread after i saw the show and then.watched the movie.

someone on.here has to have some good stories and omg that chick in the movie. that's like a whole other.level of crazy.

this phone puts.periods after every word and i.Just can't deal with fixing it right now.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

i love catfish so much. i don't feel too bad for anyone, because it's 2014 and there's no excuse for not being able to prove it. it's so fucking entertaining though. especially the super crazy reveals.

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by chickpea View Post
    i love catfish so much.
    Me too. A lot of times it gives me great feelings of schadenfreude.

i don't feel too bad for anyone, because it's 2014 and there's no excuse for not being able to prove it.
    Exactly.

This was originally my all-time favorite episode, but then rumors started going around that the two guys in this episode knew each other beforehand, and that this episode was fake. I didn’t want to believe it, but apparently it was true. Some people say they tricked the show and others are saying the producers knew. I was devastated. It was the same feeling I felt as a kid when I found out WWF wrestling wasn’t real. I’m purposely not looking too much into how this show is done. I don’t want to find out other things are fake. It will ruin the entertainment value this show has for me.

I guess those two guys thought that something positive would come out of them appearing on the show, but now they’re laughing stocks and pretty bitter about the whole thing.

This is a video they made talking about it..

Artis & Justin shoot on MTV - YouTube

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by RedruM View Post
    This was originally my all-time favorite episode, but then rumors started going around that the two guys in this episode knew each other beforehand, and that this episode was fake. I didn’t want to believe it, but apparently it was true. Some people say they tricked the show and others are saying the producers knew. I was devastated. It was the same feeling I felt as a kid when I found out WWF wrestling wasn’t real. I’m purposely not looking too much into how this show is done. I don’t want to find out other things are fake. It will ruin the entertainment value this show has for me.

I guess those two guys thought that something positive would come out of them appearing on the show, but now they’re laughing stocks and pretty bitter about the whole thing.

This is a video they made talking about it..

Artis & Justin shoot on MTV - YouTube
    what i've read is that the producers know everything ahead of time, and sometimes the catfish is the one that initially contacts them. but they send nev & max into it blindly and make them do their own investigating, so it has some bit of truth to it. and yeah i watched that video.. i'm not sure they knew each other beforehand but definitely justin was playing up the craziness for attention/good tv, and i'm sure contacted the show himself (because artis seems like a complete idiot lmao.. i saw a joke about that video saying justin was holding him hostage and #freeartis ). still hilarious regardless. and if either of them really thought they'd become successful off an episode of catfish

Permabanned

what i've read is that the producers know everything ahead of time, and sometimes the catfish is the one that initially contacts them. but they send nev & max into it blindly and make them do their own investigating, so it has some bit of truth to it.
    Ah, I see.

What's your take on that guy Nev? You think he's legit and who he portray's himself to be?

He's pretty slick and has a way with words. He seemed genuine to me at first, but after finding all this out I'm a lot more skeptical now.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by RedruM View Post
    Ah, I see.

What's your take on that guy Nev? You think he's legit and who he portray's himself to be?

He's pretty slick and has a way with words. He seemed genuine to me at first, but after finding all this out I'm a lot more skeptical now.
    well i learned that he got expelled from sarah lawrence for punching a girl in the face that has kinda altered my perception of him. especially since he's seemed to have more temper tantrums on the show lately.

Permabanned

well i learned that he got expelled from sarah lawrence for punching a girl in the face
    Damn, that's crazy.

He comes across as ENFJ to me, which means he'll be really good at hiding his dark side.

especially since he's seemed to have more temper tantrums on the show lately.
    haha. Like when he threw that guys cell phone in the water. That shit was hilarious.

... This weeks episode had a bit of a twist at the end. It turned out to be somewhat of a happy ending.

I don't like the happy endings.