User Tag List

First 123 Last

Thread: Frank Zappa!

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

The Slime is on my compilation, but it hasn't captured me yet. I'll check out that Baritone Women one, thanks MB!
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by FZ
    For the records, folks: I never took a shit on stage, and the closest I ever came to eating shit anywhere was at a Holiday Inn buffet in Fayetteville, North Carolina, in 1973.
    I just felt the need to share that with someone and you're it. (Yes, you. None of those other MBTIc people. Just you.)

perdu fleur par bologne Martoon's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    For some reason, I am constantly reminded of Martoon when I listen, so I would love to know if you're a fan.
    Cognitively, I'm a big Zappa fan. Experientially, only moderately so. I love what he did and what he stood for. Constantly experimental. Wasn't afraid to go "out there"; in fact, his greatest fear was getting stuck "in here", I believe. One of the first to do electronic sequencing (or music that wasn't humanly playable, as he called it). Now, of course, everything is sequenced, and it's overdone.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChick View Post
    Okay, I have to comment on this. In the opening of that segment, they're talking about videos that don't look too bad, but if you listen to the lyrics, they're horrifically offensive, the kind of stuff you wouldn't want in your home. So what do they use an example of these appalling lyrics in that opening segment? Duran Duran's The Chauffeur??? Seriously? Here's the shocking lyrics they're talking about:
    Out on the tar plains, the glides are moving
    All looking for a new place to drive
    You sit beside me so newly charming
    Sweating dewdrops glisten freshing your side

And the sun drips down bedding heavy behind
    The front of your dress - all shadowy lined
    And the droning engine throbs in time
    With your beating heart

Way down the lane away, living for another day
    The aphids swarm up in the drifting haze
    Swim seagull in the sky towards that hollow western isle
    My envied lady holds you fast in her gaze

(chorus) (chorus)

Sing blue silver

And watching lovers part, I feel you smiling
    What glass splinters lie so deep in your mind
    To tear out from your eyes, with a thought to stiffen brooding lies
    And I'll only watch you leave me further behind

(chorus) (chorus)

Sing blue silver
    Sing, sing.. blue silver

(theres more to this kind of camouflage)
    (more than just colour and shape)
    (who's going now, in to a classiomatic? )
    Okay, there's some sensuality suggested there. But it's poetry, and it's far from crude or obscene in any sense. I've always thought the video was rather cheap and cheesy, but I've always liked the song. And it's the lyrics they're complaining about?

Yeah, if I heard my kid saying something as filthy as "And the sun drips down bedding heavy behind; The front of your dress - all shadowy lined", I'd be washing his mouth out with soap. Heck, I'd go straight for the Liquid Plumber.
    I'm not a procrastinator. I'm a long-term planner.

MBTI
    INTP

So I contacted my ex-roommate and asked him for some Zappa recommendations. Here's what he said.

wow thats a tough one. Freak Out, Lumpy Gravy, Bongo Fury, Jazz From Hell, Joes Garage all three acts, as for songs Tiger purple lagon, King Kong, yellow snow, lucille, G spot, wille the pimp, comik debris, carolina, He used to but the
    (Cross-posted at INTPc)

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by rhinosaur View Post
    So I contacted my ex-roommate and asked him for some Zappa recommendations. Here's what he said.

(Cross-posted at INTPc)
    I would have to put in We're Only in It for the Money, Uncle Meat, and Hot Rats.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    That's on the compilation too. Very cool.

MBTI
    XNXP

Default Frank Zappa

He's an interesting guy. Some of my favorite Mothers' songs.

YouTube - Igor's boogie phase one & two - Zappa
    YouTube - Frank Zappa - Little House I Used to Live In
    YouTube - Overture To A Holiday In Berlin - Zappa
    YouTube - Frank Zappa, holiday in berlin full length

He had something of an extreme "INTP" philosophy about interactions with people - Zappa quote-
    "Try to imagine what the opposite of loneliness is. Think of it. That everyone in the world loves you ? What is that ? Realize you are in isolation. Live it ! Enjoy it ! Just be glad that there aren't a bunch of people who want to use up your time. Because along with all the love and admiration that's going to come from the people that would keep you from feeling lonely, there is the emotional freight you have to bear. People who are wasting your time; and you can't get that back. So when you're lonely and all by yourself, guess what you have ? You have all your own time. That's a pretty good fucking deal. Something you couldn't buy any place else...And every time you're out being sociable and having other people be ' nice ' to you, so that you don't feel ' lonely ', they are wasting your time. What do you get for it? Because after they're done being nice to you, they want something from you. And they've already taken your time! Loneliness is... not a bad deal. It's a good deal."

Zappa wasn't just posturing with this philosophy. He actually lived it. Reportedly his wife and he admitted that they got along best by trying to speak to one another as little as possible. ( Maybe like those monks with their vows of silence, doing all their interactions by showing versus telling ? By example versus verbally ? )

His kids knew that dad was not to be disturbed while composing and that he spent most of his awake time at home while composing, according to a book I just read about FZ, by Barry Miles. ( Dweezil or Moon feel free to jump in here to MBTIC threads and contradict this ! ) The rest of the time he was out touring or otherwise unavailable.

Somewhere in between 1980 and 1981 his daughter Moon slipped a note under his door addressing him as "Daddy" ( not as "Frank", as he preferred ) and "introduced herself." "I'm 13 years old. My name is Moon. Up until now I have been trying to stay out of your way as you record. However, I have come to the conclusion that I would love to sing on your album." She left the house telephone number and the name of her Mom ( Gail ) as her "agent" for him to contact, suggesting that she might do her Encino accent, or "Surfer Dude" talk for him. This eventually became the core of the "Valley Girl" song that was one of his few mainstream successes.

FZ didn't believe songs had any intrinsic quality for influencing emotions either. FZ agreed with Stravinsky ( who has a famous quote on the subject ) on this point, as well as admiring his music and that of Edgar Varese. "If an instrument sounds sad, change its rhythmic accompaniment and see if it still does."

Any of you guys like Frank ?

He was a refreshing change from the "theocracy" he predicted would eventually creep into government power ( versus secular considerations ) in America, if we weren't vigilant, but still an abrasive guy, in his own way.

Frank and Doo-Wop
    http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...5-doo-wop.html
    "The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them that they are being attacked and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."
    Reichsfuhrer Herman Goering at the Nuremburg trials.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

I've always admired his character more than his melodies. Dissonance generally displeases me.

MBTI
    XNXP

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    I've always admired his character more than his melodies. Dissonance generally displeases me.
    I thought of you as I posted this.

A lot of his stuff isn't really dissonant ( or atonal ), despite his admiration for Schoenberg. I would agree that it's not "radio friendly" though.
    "The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them that they are being attacked and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."
    Reichsfuhrer Herman Goering at the Nuremburg trials.