• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

2014 FIFA World Cup

Beorn

Permabanned
The US has never been a classical possession team. We've always had great keepers, and really athletic players that can take advantage of counter attack opportunities.

This is true. I think this has something to do with the character of America in general as well in that we're not particularly patient and want results. What's interesting is that Klinsmann doesn't seem to want to go against that, but seems to be just trying to elevate and tighten up our style. It's pretty clear that he's not interested in careful prodding and probing as we see with some of the other elite teams, but is continuing to push Bradley and others in the midfield to make long range threading the needle type passes to quickly open up space between the middle third and scoring position. I do think that even if we didn't screw up as much and played the game we wanted Ghana would probably have still had more possession and I think Klinsmann would have been alright with that as long as we were getting good oppurtunities.

Mostly talking out of my ass, ftr. But, hey that's what sports is about, right?

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
One of the most annoying things about soccer (which I only watch during these big events) is the pseudo-professional opinionatedness displayed by the regular soccer fan. A bit more of it sure would make this thread more lively, though.

Well you know where I hail from, so you can imagine that's pretty much anyone I walk into usually.

Probably the reason for my bias against it.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
This is the first time I'm following the World Cup. Really enjoyed the Mexico/Brazil game yesterday- which is funny considering nobody scored the whole time. But it was still pretty great. Ochoa is the man.

I can't speak to the quality of play or anything, but I know which games have been boring and which ones have been exciting. I did enjoy the US/Ghana game and would have enjoyed either outcome.

And futbol players are SO much hotter to me than football players. Just sayin'.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Brazil's Marcelo scored an own goal at the opening match against Croatia, which made him an instant meme.

Well, shit happens. But then, after the first half, he exchanged uniforms with a Croatian player... And he put on the fucking uniform!!

:fpalm:

Btw, this will be the World Cup of the Memes. More to come.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
LOL. I kind of love that. It takes gonads to not only acknowledge your own mistake but also participate in making fun of it like that.

I've never watched metric football (what my son is calling it) before, but I've been struck with how respectful most players seem to each other and to the refs. Not always, but most of the time. It's nice. I like it. At one point I saw one player trip over the other and accidentally kick him in the head- the other guy started to get mad, but the first guy actually like cradled the other guy's head in his hands and appeared to be explaining what happened, and then they hugged. This is awesome.

Watching Croatia/Cameroon right now.

Qre:us

Chile - coming in fast and furious, burning the current reigning world champion out of the tournament. Like, damn!!

For shame.

Netherlands got their sweet revenge, and oh what a revenge it was. Left Spain's morale completely deflated and then Chile sweeped in and finished it off.

Here's an example of a team having more possession of the ball (Spain) but their opponents were ruthless, not giving them any opportunities to do anything with it. They didn't miss like Ghana did. They never really got the opportunity.

Adios, Espana. You should have changed your goalkeeper. Your loyalty cost you.

How embarrassing.

Qre:us

LOL. I kind of love that. It takes gonads to not only acknowledge your own mistake but also participate in making fun of it like that.

I've never watched metric football (what my son is calling it) before, but I've been struck with how respectful most players seem to each other and to the refs. Not always, but most of the time. It's nice. I like it. At one point I saw one player trip over the other and accidentally kick him in the head- the other guy started to get mad, but the first guy actually like cradled the other guy's head in his hands and appeared to be explaining what happened, and then they hugged. This is awesome.

Watching Croatia/Cameroon right now.

They don't always play nice. Like the idiot from Cameroon getting a red card. Making his whole team lose 1 man for the rest of the game. For what? He pushed him, just because...the damn ball was on the other side of the field. Idiot!!!

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Yeah, I saw that too. That was a tense game. Not because the outcome was ever really in question- just because there seemed to be a lot of tension on the field.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Anyone watch Netherlands vs. Australia? What a game! The Dutch were pretty lucky to come away with the win.

And now Chile has beaten Spain! :shocking: That means Spain's out, right? How often is it that the incumbent world champs don't make it through to the last 16 in the following tournament?

R

Riva

Anyone watch Netherlands vs. Australia? What a game! The Dutch were pretty lucky to come away with the win.

And now Chile has beaten Spain! :shocking: That means Spain's out, right? How often is it that the incumbent world champs don't make it through to the last 16 in the following tournament?

I think the same thing happened to italy last time.

Ned vs aus is the most entertaining match i saw so far. I didn't watch all matches though.

Kinda sad that aus played so well in both games yet have to leave so early. But i want ned to win the world cup ir germany, so i don't mind.

Not looking forward to seeing germany playing italy. It's always annoying.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Kinda sad that aus played so well in both games yet have to leave so early. But i want ned to win the world cup ir germany, so i don't mind.
Yeah, it is unfortunate. There's no points for playing well, I guess.

Not looking forward to seeing germany playing italy. It's always annoying.
Why so?

It has happened six or so times now.
Really? That's pathetic.

R

Riva

^

Because italians know how to dive ;). Just kidding.

In the 2006 world cup semi finals and 2012 euro semi finals those two teams met and both the times italy won. I am sure the stats between the two teams are readily available online as it is probably between any two nations.

I wanted the german team to win which is why it was disappointing.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
^

Because italians know how to dive ;). Just kidding.
No fucking kidding. I remember being disgusted with them at the last World Cup and haven't really forgiven them for the way they behaved in the match against my country (New Zealand). :dont:

Even my Italian friend was ashamed of them and apologised on their behalf.

In the 2006 world cup semi finals and 2012 euro semi finals those two teams met and both the times italy won. I am sure the stats between the two teams are readily available online as it is probably between any two nations.

I wanted the german team to win which is why it was disappointing.
I think Germany have looked sharper lately and have a better chance. But then you never know... :shrug:

Daenera

Rogue heart
Lolz lolz lolz.

For a few minutes you made me feel like a retard for being a football fan.

lol don't feel bad

It's just that people be talking bout strategies about man running after a ball and I'm standing there all like
neil-degrasse-tyson-consfused_o_GIFSoup.com_.gif

R

Riva

Oh wow costa rica beat italy!

I do not want to miss the italy vs uruguay match.

When they said group of death i thought they were referring to england italy and uruguay. In the end it was costa rica who came on top.

Does costa rica have good players/players playing for good clubs?