User Tag List

First 5678917 Last

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    Of course if you want to compare us to countries where soccer is the dominant sport we don't stack up, but so what?
    You were compared to Ghana, by Qre:us. Personally, my dear, I don't give a damn.

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    The US has never been a classical possession team. We've always had great keepers, and really athletic players that can take advantage of counter attack opportunities.
    This is true. I think this has something to do with the character of America in general as well in that we're not particularly patient and want results. What's interesting is that Klinsmann doesn't seem to want to go against that, but seems to be just trying to elevate and tighten up our style. It's pretty clear that he's not interested in careful prodding and probing as we see with some of the other elite teams, but is continuing to push Bradley and others in the midfield to make long range threading the needle type passes to quickly open up space between the middle third and scoring position. I do think that even if we didn't screw up as much and played the game we wanted Ghana would probably have still had more possession and I think Klinsmann would have been alright with that as long as we were getting good oppurtunities.

Mostly talking out of my ass, ftr. But, hey that's what sports is about, right?

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    One of the most annoying things about soccer (which I only watch during these big events) is the pseudo-professional opinionatedness displayed by the regular soccer fan. A bit more of it sure would make this thread more lively, though.
    Well you know where I hail from, so you can imagine that's pretty much anyone I walk into usually.

Probably the reason for my bias against it.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

Spain's reign is over, apparently. I blame Juan Carlos.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

This is the first time I'm following the World Cup. Really enjoyed the Mexico/Brazil game yesterday- which is funny considering nobody scored the whole time. But it was still pretty great. Ochoa is the man.

I can't speak to the quality of play or anything, but I know which games have been boring and which ones have been exciting. I did enjoy the US/Ghana game and would have enjoyed either outcome.

And futbol players are SO much hotter to me than football players. Just sayin'.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    And futbol players are SO much hotter to me than football players. Just sayin'.
    Psh, the hottest players are rugby playets and mma fighters. Soccer is near the bottom of the list. Ok ok I will stop derailing with this.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Brazil's Marcelo scored an own goal at the opening match against Croatia, which made him an instant meme.

Well, shit happens. But then, after the first half, he exchanged uniforms with a Croatian player... And he put on the fucking uniform!!

Btw, this will be the World Cup of the Memes. More to come.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

LOL. I kind of love that. It takes gonads to not only acknowledge your own mistake but also participate in making fun of it like that.

I've never watched metric football (what my son is calling it) before, but I've been struck with how respectful most players seem to each other and to the refs. Not always, but most of the time. It's nice. I like it. At one point I saw one player trip over the other and accidentally kick him in the head- the other guy started to get mad, but the first guy actually like cradled the other guy's head in his hands and appeared to be explaining what happened, and then they hugged. This is awesome.

Watching Croatia/Cameroon right now.

Chile - coming in fast and furious, burning the current reigning world champion out of the tournament. Like, damn!!

For shame.

Netherlands got their sweet revenge, and oh what a revenge it was. Left Spain's morale completely deflated and then Chile sweeped in and finished it off.

Here's an example of a team having more possession of the ball (Spain) but their opponents were ruthless, not giving them any opportunities to do anything with it. They didn't miss like Ghana did. They never really got the opportunity.

Adios, Espana. You should have changed your goalkeeper. Your loyalty cost you.

How embarrassing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    LOL. I kind of love that. It takes gonads to not only acknowledge your own mistake but also participate in making fun of it like that.

I've never watched metric football (what my son is calling it) before, but I've been struck with how respectful most players seem to each other and to the refs. Not always, but most of the time. It's nice. I like it. At one point I saw one player trip over the other and accidentally kick him in the head- the other guy started to get mad, but the first guy actually like cradled the other guy's head in his hands and appeared to be explaining what happened, and then they hugged. This is awesome.

Watching Croatia/Cameroon right now.
    They don't always play nice. Like the idiot from Cameroon getting a red card. Making his whole team lose 1 man for the rest of the game. For what? He pushed him, just because...the damn ball was on the other side of the field. Idiot!!!