• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Jupiter Ascending

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well... I can't say THAT'S a good sign... :unsure:

Just six weeks ahead of its planned release, the Wachowskis' space thriller "Jupiter Ascending" has been postponed to 2015.

Warner Bros. announced the date change late Tuesday. The movie, with a budget of $150 million or more and starring Channing Tatum and Mila Kunis, will now open Feb. 6 instead of July 18.

It's a stunning and unusual move for a high-profile film so close to release. "Jupiter Ascending," which Warner Bros. co-financed with Village Roadshow, will bounce out of the lucrative but high-pressure summer movie season and into early February, often a dumping ground for troubled movies.

Andy and Lana Wachowski have a checkered box-office track record. Though their "Matrix" trilogy was a huge hit, their "Cloud Atlas" and "Speed Racer" both flopped at the box office.

'Jupiter Ascending' Release Postponed to 2015 - ABC News

The trailers have looked a little sketchy. I'd really like to see the Wachowskis hit something out of the park again, but I'm not sure this will be it.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well, no responses back in June and that pretty much sums up the current buzz for this movie.

I saw a bunch of trailers last spring (for the initial summer 2014 date), and now have heard nothing promotionally despite this coming out in a month and it costing $175 million to make or whatever it cost.

It doesn't seem to bode well.

GarrotTheThief

The Green Jolly Robin H.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
I think the cast stinks. Chad Tatum no doubt is a good looking man but can't act and the same goes for that young lady.

They should have picked Tom Hardy and some other female to play the role.

93JC

Well, no responses back in June and that pretty much sums up the current buzz for this movie.

I saw a bunch of trailers last spring (for the initial summer 2014 date), and now have heard nothing promotionally despite this coming out in a month and it costing $175 million to make or whatever it cost.

It doesn't seem to bode well.

I saw a trailer for in front of a showing of Inherent Vice last week. Jupiter Ascending looks hackneyed and stupid; I bet it was pushed back because in tests it rated very poorly. It certainly looks like a $175,000,000 turd.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I saw a trailer for in front of a showing of Inherent Vice last week. Jupiter Ascending looks hackneyed and stupid; I bet it was pushed back because in tests it rated very poorly. It certainly looks like a $175,000,000 turd.

I wasn't impressed by last year's trailer, I'll note that as well.

Kind of a shame. I'd like to see the Wachowskis make a decent movie again. Probably their best two movies ever were their first two (although Cloud Atlas is messy but glorious, if it's the kind of thing one is into).

ReadingRainbows

Cat Wench
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
A friend of mine said that the test audiences laughed all the way through this movie even though it isn't a comedy so it was sent back to be edited and re-shot so that it might look serious.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
Hmm. The trailer doesn't look like good chemistry, but I'd see it, since I seem desparate these days for any sci-fi.

"In this week’s edition of the Variety Movie Commercial Tracker, powered by iSpot.tv, “Jupiter Ascending” displaced “American Sniper” with the top TV ad spend, laying out an estimated $10.3 million on 972 national airings across 46 networks, led by MTV and Comedy Central."
~‘Jupiter Ascending’ Rises to Top of TV Ad Spend Chart | Variety

A sign of a big ad spend for a short hit in the box office, as fast and hard as possible? We shall see.

MBTI Type
INTJ
I don't expect very much of this movie, but I normally don't expect much from the Wachowskis, either. They have interesting ideas but then they bury those ideas under layer after layer of distractions.

Then again, I thought Speed Racer was awesome, so I'm probably not one to judge their talents.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well... this probably isn't good.

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/s/jupiter-ascending-debuts-muted-crowd-sundance-071509306.html

The Sundance Film Festival isn’t a typical launchpad for studio blockbusters, but Warner Bros. surprised theater-goers on Tuesday night by unveiling the Wachowski sibling’s “Jupiter Ascending” at a “surprise screening.”

The invitation-only event, which was not billed as a premiere, was the first time “Jupiter Ascending” was shown to the public...

Despite the hype of a secret screening, clusters of seats inside the 300-person venue remained empty, and a handful of patrons walked out of the two-hour-plus space epic... The Wachowski’s flair was fully on display, with sequences reminiscent of “The Matrix” or “Star Wars.” But when the film ended, the usually gracious Sundance audience didn’t clap at the closing credits.

“I hated it,” said one of the festival’s volunteers, who asked not to be identified for fear of irking Sundance. “It’s just ridiculous.”

Her husband was more forgiving. “It’s a combination of a whole bunch of things wrapped into one,” he said.

Neville Kiser, a screenwriter, thought the movie was hurt by the fact that it was debuting at a venue for highbrow films. “I actually liked it,” Kiser said. “But the Sundance context is weird. There were so many people in the audience scoffing and sneering. They are forgetting they are watching a movie targeted primarily to teenage boys. I’m sure those 15-year-old boys, and hopefully girls, will like it.”

Okay, so it's obviously not something appealing to Sundance attendees. Critics weren't invited, and reviews are embargoed until Monday night.

Maybe if expectations are realistic, it could still be a fun watch.

Then again, I thought Speed Racer was awesome, so I'm probably not one to judge their talents.

I still need to see that. The property itself is kind of campy all on its own, so that's part of the expectation or should be.

Riva

Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ooooo I wanna watch this.

Mila Kunis doesn't look like a damsel in distress though.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The trailer doesn't look too bad.

But i think Eddie Redmayne seems the most interesting.

SpankyMcFly

Level 8 Propaganda Bot
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I'm going to watch it myself. Screw RT. Mila Kunis... eehh I've seen her without makeup... That other guy? Don't really know him or his work. Saw the trailer though, looks like great visuals. I was intrigued by that energy shield thingy he was wielding and blocking shots with. The storyline, seems intriguing. mostly the backstory.

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I got some strong secondhand embarrassment watching that trailer tbh. mila kunis should stick to comedy and channing tatum should stick to dancing.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I liked Mila Kunis in "Black Swan" (I thought she played that part effectively), but otherwise I haven't really been that interested in her screen appearances. I felt like she made it big because of her dusky voice and how good she looks on film. *shrug*

Kind of indifferent to Tatum, although I have not seen him in Foxcatcher yet.

Big fan of Eddie Redmayne.

I miss the good ol' days of casting, like the Matrix. Crap. The non-US actors were established stars in their native countries before then, but i thought they were awesome and brought a lot to this movie:

- Gloria Foster
- Monica Belluci
- Helmut Bakaitis
- Lambert Wilson

And then of course they ended being breakout roles for Hugo Weaving (at least on the blockbuster scale) and Carrie Anne Moss. She had been in a few minor things previously, but she ended up being an unexpected treasure there (far more an actor than Kunis). She held her own with all the established actors in the movie.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Funniest comment I've seen so far about this movie:

It's like the sick love-child of Zardoz and Fifth Element.

I had no clue what Zardoz was, so I looked it up. Dear god.

In any case, I still plan to see this this weekn sometime, just for the thrills.

EDIT: "Rotten Tomatoes Deems Jupiter Ascending Five Times better than Seventh Son!"

GarrotTheThief

The Green Jolly Robin H.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
oh man who ever put chad tatum and that girl together should be fired. This movie might initially do good but it's dvd sales are going to be so bad it's ridiculous! my vote for worst movie ever.