User Tag List

First 12345 Last

deplorable basketcase Tellenbach's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

The most important element of a film is the plot. Special effects and high priced actors are just make-up on a pig and it doesn't matter if you do spend $170 million on the make-up; it still won't cover up the threadbare plot. Meg in Space is one of the more disappointing films I've seen; no character development at all in this.
    Senator Rand Paul is alive because of modern medicine and because his attacker punches like a girl.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Tellenbach View Post
    Meg in Space is one of the more disappointing films I've seen; no character development at all in this.
    What's that movie? Never heard of it. (maybe that's why, lol.)

Well, you're conflating "plot" and "character development" here. I think either of those can make an interesting movie -- all plot or all character development. of course, a better movie often has both.

The problem is when you get a movie that is all eye candy with no character development and a confusing mess of a plot that can't generate any real tension because it's designed so sloppily. I think eye candy is the thing that, even when beautiful, is hard to sit through two hours of. If I want eye candy, make it a ten minute film or just make some pretty pictures. the extra dimension of film (length) is naturally suited towards plot, character dev, or both.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

deplorable basketcase Tellenbach's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer
    What's that movie? Never heard of it. (maybe that's why, lol.)
    Hint: What's Mila Kunis best known for?

No, I wasn't conflating plot with character development. This film has neither. The action was fine but there was too much action; after a while, the action becomes boring. I call it the Robocop 3 effect.
    Senator Rand Paul is alive because of modern medicine and because his attacker punches like a girl.
    Likes SearchingforPeace liked this post

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Yeah, and so this happened:
    ‘Jupiter Ascending’ Review: In Space, No One Can Hear You Shrug | Variety

RT score: 36%

But who cares? It looks like it might still be a lot of fun.
    It's just too bad their budget is likely to be cut after this.
    This morning RT has it scored at 22%.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Oh, and I just realized!

Three Investigators - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The female lead of Jupiter Ascending, Jupiter Jones, shares the name of one of the investigators in the Three Investigators series of juvenile detective novels: the chubby, and male, Jupiter Jones.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Tellenbach View Post
    Hint: What's Mila Kunis best known for?

No, I wasn't conflating plot with character development. This film has neither. The action was fine but there was too much action; after a while, the action becomes boring. I call it the Robocop 3 effect.
    Robocop 3.....rofl! Saw the first two, and 2 was enough for me.

I think Kunis got big on That 70s Show....but I never watched it. (And there is your Robocop tie in....aka Kurtwood Smith.)

Quote Originally Posted by Mal12345 View Post
    The female lead of Jupiter Ascending, Jupiter Jones, shares the name of one of the investigators in the Three Investigators series of juvenile detective novels: the chubby, and male, Jupiter Jones.
    I bet THAT Jupiter wasn't nearly as purdy.

... and yeah, case in point: How come all these "discovered rulers" are always drop-dead gorgeous by conventional standards? Even average or slightly above average would be a nice change of pace. I'm reading this Jupiter here is pretty passive in the storyline.

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Robocop 3.....rofl! Saw the first two, and 2 was enough for me.

I think Kunis got big on That 70s Show....but I never watched it. (And there is your Robocop tie in....aka Kurtwood Smith.)

I bet THAT Jupiter wasn't nearly as purdy.

... and yeah, case in point: How come all these "discovered rulers" are always drop-dead gorgeous by conventional standards? Even average or slightly above average would be a nice change of pace. I'm reading this Jupiter here is pretty passive in the storyline.
    Well, for example, what if the chick at 14:27 in this video played Trinity in the actual Matrix movies? Would The Matrix have gone on to become a trilogy?

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Probably not, although she's not even "average" -- so you ignored my wording.

And while I think Carrie Anne Moss was a model, I don't think she's particularly beautiful in the conventional way that Kunis is -- and also, I think no one looks at Trinity as eye candy. The first thing you think of is, "She kicks ass," not "Oh, she's a hot woman that kicks ass." That's one thing I really liked about her.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Probably not, although she's not even "average" -- so you ignored my wording.

And while I think Carrie Anne Moss was a model, I don't think she's particularly beautiful in the conventional way that Kunis is -- and also, I think no one looks at Trinity as eye candy. The first thing you think of is, "She kicks ass," not "Oh, she's a hot woman that kicks ass." That's one thing I really liked about her.
    EHRMAGERHD, I IGNORED YOUR WORDING!!!!!!!!!!

lol

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Mal12345 View Post
    EHRMAGERHD, I IGNORED YOUR WORDING!!!!!!!!!!

lol
    I specifically said average or a bit above average in my post, purposefully, and you ignored it out of convenience to your argument. If this is the direction you're going to take this again, then see ya.