User Tag List

12 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Watch Dogs

  1. #1
    Freaking Ratchet Rail Tracer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,041

    Default Watch Dogs

    Haven't gotten it yet, but there was a lot of hype about it... and it is out today.

    Has anybody started playing it yet? And what do you guys think about it?

    I am big when it comes to PC, so seeing that there is a PC version and all, I was contemplating it.... that... or complete my Civ 5 game with Brave New World.

  2. #2
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    11,925

    Default

    I'm not having much fun with it so far.

  3. #3
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    I did not play it, but I looked at the page on Steam. It looked interesting but kind of complex (lots of options on what you can do, like hacking into city systems, etc.) -- the game kinda looks like a catchall for various genres -- and wasn't sure how much time I wanted to commit.

    What do you find to NOT be fun so far, U?
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  4. #4
    Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    5,810

    Default

    I wanted to try this, but I might wait a bit and see a few more videos on how it actually plays, I love options, but when I first saw a demonstration it looked like it was filled to the brim with extraneous options in the heat of a moment, that probably wouldn't come into use that often.

    People tend to pick the most effective route and it's rare that a game actually caters to different methods of doing something without leaving someone wondering why they didn't just take the more effective route in the first place.

    This might just be my issue though.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

    Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

  5. #5
    Freaking Ratchet Rail Tracer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,041

    Default

    Game looks sort of fascinating. I think the graphics will be a lot better on the PS4/One/PC though, consider all the ones I am looking at are on youtube with graphics turned very low.

    Quote Originally Posted by AffirmitiveAnxiety View Post
    I wanted to try this, but I might wait a bit and see a few more videos on how it actually plays, I love options, but when I first saw a demonstration it looked like it was filled to the brim with extraneous options in the heat of a moment, that probably wouldn't come into use that often.

    People tend to pick the most effective route and it's rare that a game actually caters to different methods of doing something without leaving someone wondering why they didn't just take the more effective route in the first place.

    This might just be my issue though.
    I find the constant use of getting into the systems without being overly noticed kind of fun. Instead of shooting one's way into everything, get into systems and let those things handle it instead. It's sort of like other games... which I can't remember the name of.

  6. #6
    Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    5,810

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rail Tracer View Post
    I find the constant use of getting into the systems without being overly noticed kind of fun. Instead of shooting one's way into everything, get into systems and let those things handle it instead. It's sort of like other games... which I can't remember the name of.
    Well that's the side that appeals to me as well, but it remains to be seen how it is to actually play like that outside of developer demonstrations.

    Personally it looks so entertaining manipulating this virtual world with these tools that I hope my gut is wrong about this.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

    Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

  7. #7
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    11,925

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    What do you find to NOT be fun so far, U?
    This for starters:


    And it's tedious and overhyped.

    And since I got done playing the greatest FPS since Half-Life 2 (Wolfenstein: The New Order), this open world game pales by comparison. It is no Saints Row 2 or, more recently, Infamous: Second Son, that's for sure...because it's not that fun.

    I will, however, give it credit for not being the way-too-realistic driving simulator that GTA IV was. That being said, Watch Dogs is more in simulator territory than game.

  8. #8
    Freaking Ratchet Rail Tracer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,041

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Ü™ View Post
    This for starters:


    And it's tedious and overhyped.

    And since I got done playing the greatest FPS since Half-Life 2 (Wolfenstein: The New Order), this open world game pales by comparison. It is no Saints Row 2 or, more recently, Infamous: Second Son, that's for sure...because it's not that fun.

    I will, however, give it credit for not being the way-too-realistic driving simulator that GTA IV was. That being said, Watch Dogs is more in simulator territory than game.


    Not exactly sure everything they've done to the game, but the comparisons seem to show enough....

  9. #9
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    11,925

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rail Tracer View Post


    Not exactly sure everything they've done to the game, but the comparisons seem to show enough....
    Now that I'm watching the comparisons on a higher resolution computer monitor instead of my phone, I see some very obvious difference between seventh- and eighth-gen (not that I didn't expect that), but as far as the eighth-gen consoles and PC go, while there are minor differences in resolution, there are virtually no graphical differences, and I don't think either differences are worth upgrading my PC or worth the Sony vs. Microsoft fanboy wars.

    I hope that the rumors are true and that Rockstar plans on releasing GTA V for the next-gen. The game already looks next-gen on eight-year-old consoles, so imagine what they could do with newer hardware.

  10. #10
    hypersane Hive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,005

    Default

    Need to check this out. I love playing as a hacker, shutting down security systems, turning it against my enemies or unlocking doors to find alternate routes. It was my preferred style while playing Deus Ex.
    I FEEL ALRIGHT

Similar Threads

  1. Cat/Dog, Introvert/Extrovert
    By heart in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 11-30-2016, 03:14 PM
  2. Help me type Dog the Bounty Hunter
    By cafe in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 07-19-2011, 01:42 PM
  3. Cat People/Dog People
    By ladypinkington in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 55
    Last Post: 07-30-2007, 02:14 PM
  4. I'm going to get a dog.
    By Brendan in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 05-18-2007, 08:01 PM
  5. Big brother is Watching You
    By wyrdsister in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-25-2007, 04:36 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO