• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Childhood Nightmare Fuel

gromit

likes this

Which films freaked you the hell out as a kid?

Eluded_One

Building muscle memory in my brain
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I was exposed to adult horror movies at the early age of 7. From the Exorcist to the Return of the Living. Strangely, what freaked me out the most was the scene in nightmare on elm street when the bed swallowed up the sleeping teen and then vomited up blood all over the ceiling.

yeghor

Haha... but why did that freak you out? The theme song or was the movie itself creepy?

There's a demon overlord called Malmoth in the cartoon who wants to capture Clementine's soul in every episode, and uses numerous human minions for that purpose... It eventually punishes minions that fail by turning them into worms and insects and then throwing them in fire...

Typh0n

clever fool
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I wasnt allowed to watch movies deemed "too scary" until a certain age. I had to wait till I turned 8 to watch Gremlins and Gremlins 2, for example. I remember begging my parents to let me watch it, but they were firm; not until I was 8. I was into monsters as a kid, though I dont think any movie really freaked me out that I remember. My parents were not really into horror films like the Excorcist and Poltergeist, in fact it seems like they still hate those movies. I love horror films though.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I used to have nightmares about the Count from Sesame Street. He wanted to eat my toes, which would only be safe by making sure they weren't sticking out of the covers. Also the little people from Time Bandits created many a nightmare. Mostly it's because of how they were introduced, breaking out of the closet into the kid's bedroom from another dimension.

Hive

hypersane
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Moomin.

The Lady of the Cold must have served as inspiration for The Others/White Walkers from A Song of Ice and Fire.

The Groke actually made me unable to sleep for a long while. She's freaking coldness and terror personified.

OptoGypsy

MBTI Type
isfp
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Sleeping Beauty and Pinocchio where the only animated movies that scarred me growing up I watched them both in Kindergarden. Outside of that the only time a movie scared me was when a character was screaming at their child in the House on the prairie.

MBTI Type
INTJ
The Christopher Reeve Superman. The part with the earthquake where people fall into cracks and get covered over. I couldn't sleep for days.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
My brother was flipping through channels one time when I was about 5 or 6, and for a few minutes he left it on a horror movie called Squirm. Some people were fishing and the worms burrowed into one guy's face. It was terrifying, but my brother was laughing, which just made it all the more disturbing to me. That image haunted me for years when I would try to go to sleep.

I later found out that my brother was laughing because the movie is terrible. It was even featured on MST3K at one point.

G

Ginkgo

Most of my childhood nightmare fuel was adult nightmare fuel.

My psyche is scarred by stupid B movies.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
E.T. scared the hell out of me as a kid. The way he shuffles. Cranes his neck.. that scream. Ugh, the corn field scene. That, in particular, probably set the stage for my hatred of him throughout the viewing, and perhaps to this day.

Saw it when I was about five. I remember being confused as to why people thought it was neat/funny that E.T. magically "connected" with Elliot - I felt suspicious, and vaguely recall running of a bunch of scary 'what-if scenarios through my little mind at the time. His appearance/mannerisms/scream were viscerally disturbing and creepy, and his link to the kid was a mindfuck for 5 Year-Old Me.

The whole time, I was waiting for him to expose his evil.

The scene in the morning after Halloween, when Elliot's brother finds E.T. dying in a ditch, I had a moment of relief. Just a moment, though.

Reanimated E.T.'s glowing heartbeat completely wrecked certain stuffed animals people would give me as presents over the next year or so.. some had glowy-hearts on the chest/belly area.. I couldn't sleep with them in my room. I kept waiting for their chests to illuminate on their own.. and maybe their eyes.. (imagination would start going wild at that point).

Ironically, I watched Stephen King's Creepshow every summer at my crazy grandma's since I was about 3. While it did frighten me the first time I saw it, I watched the whole thing, and I looked forward to it every time. It was such an intense/bizarre experience.

But seriously.. fuck E.T.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Also- Unsolved Mysteries.

The show itself didn't scare me, but the theme music used to give me the creeps when I was little.

The eerie narration of Robert Stack only served to enhance it, of course.

Later on, I grew to appreciate the effect quite a lot, though. I really enjoyed when things 'made to be frightening/unsettling/tense' were done well.. it was the unintentional things that typically stayed with me, like E.T.
(Again, fuck E.T.)

R

Riva

I'm still scared of horror movies and tend to close my eyes during scary parts. I prefer not to watch horror movies with my dates. In my defense i have very fast reflexes which makes me react fast which is kinda annoying when watching horror movies.

Hmm.. regarding the op i can't remember i can't remember

Eluded_One

Building muscle memory in my brain
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[MENTION=8031]Ginkgo[/MENTION] reminded me of a show on paranormal activity research and UFO's, that I occasionally watched throughout my early teens. Watching scary movies is one thing, watching people document strange reports of people getting terrorized by spirits is another story. Every time I watched the show, I was so scared, I felt the hairs on the top of my head rise up. It was quite the adventure every single time.

The name of the show is "Sightings" 1992-1997