• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How many people here...

Do you play a musical instrument?

• Total voters

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I really, really, really, really want to learn to play the theremin. Then I can slick my hair back tight, dress in black with only a black-light and do some noodly variations on the old Star-Trek theme. Maybe have tanks with jellyfish floating all about the stage. It will catapult me to rock-star status, I just know it! :party2:

theremin260.jpg

My back up band will use the old Italian Noise Machines.

Inton.jpg

htb

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Saxophone, voice, guitar, percussion, mics-and-mixing-board.

sdalek

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Question: Define play? Professional, Amateur or both? Played well, or just good enough to suit our own personal preferences?:thinking:

I suppose it's a fair question - any and all of the above, basically. To me "play" implies a certain base level of competence, but I think it's fair to say that most people have a decent enough ear to know when they're actually playing something musical or just hitting/playing random notes (?), so personal preference is a good enough indicator.

I'm certainly not looking for virtuosos (although it would be interesting if there are any)

Ah, ok. I used to play a little piano, I play didj, and play around with mandolin and used to play around with the 16-button squeeze box. :D

Not good, but enough to feel personally satisfied.

Hanzuu

MBTI Type
INFP
Currently I play musical saw. Would like to start playing ukulele in the future. Vocals might be a possible option, but my falsetto screaming scares people so I'll see about it.

Res Ipsa Loquitur

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Took piano lessons from second grade to high school and played clarinet in grades 4-8.

Would love to take up piano lessons again, especially since inheriting my grandmother's Knabe studio grand piano.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Took piano lessons from second grade to high school and played clarinet in grades 4-8.

Would love to take up piano lessons again, especially since inheriting my grandmother's Knabe studio grand piano.

:drool:

so... gelus...

rivercrow

shoshaku jushaku
MBTI Type
type
Started with violin at 8 cos I hated piano and mom didn't want me to play harp or bagpipes.

Got stuck being made to learn piano anyway.

Noodle now with didj, penny whistle, mando, and uke (bari and soprano). Like most other dancers, I do dumbek and zills (finger cymbals) as well. I do drag out the fiddle occasionally to play reels and jigs.

Langrenus

So how come so many people have stopped playing? Forced to play as a child? Lack of time? Lack of skill? General loss of interest?

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Embarrassment. Self consciousness. Laziness. Not progressing quickly enough. Many factors for me...

bluebell

MBTI Type
INTP
Because it was something I was forced to do as a child and it wasn't my choice. Because I'm no longer interested in playing (I go through phases of what I'm interested in). I continued playing keyboard a bit as an adult but I stopped enjoying playing maybe 4 or 5 years back. I got rid of my keyboard but kept all my sheet music. Yah know, just in case...

Maverick

MBTI Type
ENTJ
I've been playing electric guitar since 13 years. I practiced many hours to develop technical proficiency.

Res Ipsa Loquitur

MBTI Type
ISTJ
So how come so many people have stopped playing? Forced to play as a child? Lack of time? Lack of skill? General loss of interest?

In high school, I got involved in sports so I dropped piano, thinking I would go back to it later in life, which hasn't happened yet.

I hated playing the clarinet - I wanted to play tenor sax but the junior high band didn't need anymore sax players. So I ended up playing clarinet...

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
Throughout childhood, I played piano... I stopped lessons 2 years ago. Now I only touch it say once every 2 months. Also used to play the flute in elementary school band.

Hmmmm I suppose all of the above. Learning how to play the piano was something my parents really wanted me to do... but I get sick of practicing... I simply lack the precision required to play the correct notes. It doesn't matter how well done the expression of the piece is... to most people listening, it's always going to be flawed. Another thing is the lack of time... I rather spent my precious spare time on something I truly enjoy doing.

niffer

MBTI Type
ENfP
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
(keyboard) piano for a few years, baritone horn, trombone...

and the harmonica, recorder, cymbals, triangle, etc, if those count :D

I've always wanted to learn to play the cello.

Morpeko

Noble Wolf
MBTI Type
LEFV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Piano: On-and-off from ages 4 through 20. I specialized in classical music (mainly sonatas by Mozart, Beethoven, and the like), but was never very good because I'd choke during any performance.

Clarinet: I started in fifth grade and stopped at the end of seventh grade, for middle school concert band.

Alto saxophone: I played it during eighth grade for middle school jazz band.

Recorder: For a couple of months in the fourth grade, if this even counts.

If singing counts, I've dabbled in it too.

I stopped clarinet and saxophone because I no longer wanted to be in band. I quit piano due to lack of skill, which caused lack of interest. Also, my parents made me play when I was a kid.