User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you play a musical instrument?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • Never have, never will

4 9.76%
  • Never have, want to

2 4.88%
  • Used to play one

25 60.98%
  • Play one now

10 24.39%
First 1234 Last

It's always something... PuddleRiver's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

I was taught classical piano when I was a kid, played for several years, had to move and couldn't take the piano. I would love to play again.

I have always had a thing for the drums, too. I would love to learn. My brother played in a band, but we didn't live together long enough for him to teach me how to play.

And the cello's a beautiful instrument.
    "In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay one invincible summer."
    ~~~~
    A Christian's life may be the only Bible some people ever read.
    ~~~~
    "The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them" Maya Angelou.
    ~~~~
    I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ" Gandhi
    ~~~~

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I played piano for a few years, probably the ages of about 12-15 or so. It didn't get easy so I quit. I hate that. I have a great ear and I could have been very good but I was lazy.

MBTI
    ENTP

I play piano but it's been a few years since i so much as touched one, so I chose "used to".
    I don't wanna!

MBTI
    ISFJ

Question: Define play? Professional, Amateur or both? Played well, or just good enough to suit our own personal preferences?

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by booyalab View Post
    I play piano but it's been a few years since i so much as touched one, so I chose "used to".
    . . . same here, but with the guitar rather than the piano.

Oddly, I propped it up in the foyer a week ago intending to take it down the street for a cleaning, tunning, and stringing. Now, I think I will actually get that done today.
    "The only time I'm wrong is when I'm questioning myself."
    Haight

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I have played piano since I was in first grade and took bona fide lessons through high school... Then my natural tendency to improvise rather than practicing led me in other directions. I sight-read very well and play regularly [without using music, I play by ear] with a worship team at church; sometimes we do coffee shop things on the fly, covering benign secular songs from the 70's and 80's and up, that's a lot of fun. I have the ability and talent to go pro, probably, if I wanted to dedicate the time to do so (it would mean a few hours of practice a day and just listening and emulating lots of different music, to build up my mental riff/pattern library), but I have too many responsibilities and not enough desire to put in that much time right now.

In school, I "officially" played clarinet, oboe, and xylophone. Musical instruments were not too hard for me intuitively, it's the practice part that always got in my way -- much of the skill comes from repetition and integrating body and mind together, laying down the physical/kinetic memory as well as maintaining finger or lip strength (to name two).

The one instrument I wish I could play is acoustic guitar, and I guess I could learn it, but it's very different mentally than the piano and demands a lot more coordination from my left hand (for fingering purposes)... if you start a string instrument when young (before age 12), your brain will allocate extra memory/processing area to the left hand, but as an adult you have to work with what you have.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

I used to be in the marching band, and I played the drums for years with my friends. I had to give it up when I seriously damaged my shoulder a while back.
    I would never had chosen to willingly give up playing.
    Bringer of mild misfortune and frustration.
    INTP
    5w4
    |R|CUEI

Quote Originally Posted by sdalek View Post
    Question: Define play? Professional, Amateur or both? Played well, or just good enough to suit our own personal preferences?
    I suppose it's a fair question - any and all of the above, basically. To me "play" implies a certain base level of competence, but I think it's fair to say that most people have a decent enough ear to know when they're actually playing something musical or just hitting/playing random notes (?), so personal preference is a good enough indicator.

I'm certainly not looking for virtuosos (although it would be interesting if there are any)
    January has April's showers
    And 2 and 2 always makes a 5

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Langrenus View Post
    I suppose it's a fair question - any and all of the above, basically. To me "play" implies a certain base level of competence, but I think it's fair to say that most people have a decent enough ear to know when they're actually playing something musical or just hitting/playing random notes (?), so personal preference is a good enough indicator.

I'm certainly not looking for virtuosos (although it would be interesting if there are any)
    Hmmm. In that case, I've played cello at various festivals, recorded tracks for albums, done gigs in bars, been on tour, etc. [Oddly enough in a few weeks I'll be touring in Iceland and the Faroes]. Dunno that that counts as professional though, since I just see it as an easy way to travel -- although a friend of mine once said, "Did you get paid to play your instrument? -- Well, then you're a professional in my book."

Trumpet was my first instrument [picked it up in the 6th grade, got a full scholarship and played through my junior year in college], followed by classical piano when I was about 16/17. Self-taught on piano and cello. *shrugs* Kinda disagree with Jen about the left hand dexterity thing and age -- I had no real trouble making the transition from one instrument to the other.

So why the interest, Langrenus? Looking to start an MBTI-based band or something?

I think recording and touring definitely lifts you to the level of talented amateur at the very least - you're not a pro until you get to pass a list of demands to the management of the places you play I'm with you on the dexterity thing - picked up guitar way after the age of 12 and I can move my hands alright. Just tone deaf, which is a slight problem.

An MBTI-based band would be...interesting. A wild ENFP (or Logan) on lead vocals to get the crowd going, some random combination on bass, lead and drums (I should probably put more effort into thinking about this, but I'll leave that to others...it's Friday evening), and a skulking recluse to pull the strings behind the scenes (BlueWing would do?)

MBTIc World Tour 2007 here we come
    January has April's showers
    And 2 and 2 always makes a 5