• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Did anyone watch "Her"? (2013)

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think for now it's safe to say that the meat body people have real emotions and AI does not. I don't know how you would program real emotions into a machine. I get what you're saying about our being essentially machines, but until a computer can have heartache and cry on its pillow, the line between us and them remains pretty clear.

Did you see the movie AI? A.I. Artificial Intelligence (2001) - IMDb

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think for now it's safe to say that the meat body people have real emotions and AI does not. I don't know how you would program real emotions into a machine. I get what you're saying about our being essentially machines, but until a computer can have heartache and cry on its pillow, the line between us and them remains pretty clear.

I think the movie ASSUMED that equivalent AI was possible as part of its premise.

Certainly as portrayed in the movie, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a meatbody woman and the AI woman, going by voice alone. She was extremely nuanced, emotionally. What I loved about the script is that much of the dialogue was exchanging information via inflection, what wasn't said, context, etc... just like real human relationships... versus just direct content. It was more how people actually talked, versus taking a more informative approach to language as many movies do.

Yes, it's one of my favorite movies.

But it makes different assumptions as to what is possible in regards to AI, or is looking at a different level of technological expertise.

Jinn

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
- Humans believe they have soul but it does not stop them to kill each other.
And if they kill someone it is not always called murder.
- Actually, it typically IS murder in any culture... except in the case of war.
Not only. Self-defence. Greater good. Punishment....

Are we at war with animals?
I don't know how the rest but I like steaks and I don't call this war.

You are expecting more from the woman than the man. I accept it's your opinion, and that it is also a double standard. Why do you expect more from the woman than the man?
You don't accept my opinion. I expressed my opinion about one performace of Johannson. And you compare actress to entire gender? What other women have to do with her role in this movie???
You must be her fan. :rotfl:

Human beings are programmed by nature to have emotions, ... Samantha did the same thing -- she was programmed by nature to experience and express emotion, and she learns from how Theodore and others respond to her expression.
Sam was Operations system. It/she wasn't programmed by nature. It/she was programmed by human.

That's rather unfair. He's the one who chose her and chose to invest in her. He initiated the beginning of the relationship.
She was programmed to take information and met his needs. He had mess on his hard drive, she cleaned it. He wanna talk, she talked with him. More she know him, she less asked him what to do. He become predictible for computer. She requested new data. He didn't have any. All OSs gone.
Theo should have waited for upgrade or advance version of Sam/OS1.
I think this version of OS1 was close to attain conscience.

In hindsight, the relationship was a mistake, but neither she nor he anticipated the REALITY of a relationship between AI and human. They learned as they went.
Maybe you forgot but in movie they mention it was rare when user had "relationship" with his/her OS. It was taken as something weird. So most of the people thought it is still a software.

You act as if she maliciously wanted to hurt Theodore...
You personify her.

I can imagine you as a person who fall in love with your OS.

Can't quite describe the vibe, but overall it was a good piece of art.
Yeap. I am waiting on Transcendence with Johnny Depp.

Eluded_One

Building muscle memory in my brain
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't know how you would program real emotions into a machine

The same question can be asked about the human race: how do you program emotions into living flesh? Perhaps it happens naturally through the process of evolution. But how is that different from programming a machine or the natural programming process of DNA and living tissue? Who is to say what is real or sentient and what is not? Why do we have souls and animals do not? Simply put, it's human arrogance. Our inability to relate to things we believe inferior to us, has made us so blind as to believe the incredible and the ridiculous (souls, etc.).