User Tag List

123 Last

Cool Do You Play An Instrument? Sing? Write Songs? Click Here!

Couldn't find a thread for Musicians so I'm starting one.
    Talk about your music, post your music. Talk about other people's music, post their music.
    This page is for Musicians/Song Writers.

Ahoy!
    Now, I think I know what you tried to say to me
    And how you suffered for your sanity
    And how you tried to set them free
    They would not listen, they're not listening still
    Perhaps they never will...

I play guitar mainly and sing. I have a few other instruments, harmonicas, pennywhistle (irish music is awesome and fun), an ocarina (also fun). Just those few at the moment.

I started out playing bass (playing Sting's bass stuff in The Police a lot) then moved on to guitar. I'd like to learn to play piano (as well as other instruments), I can tickle the ivories a bit but the farthest I ever got was learning to play "Our House" by Crosby, Stills, and Nash.

I enjoy writing songs a lot. I have a Tascam 4 track recorder that I need a few more things for and then I will be able to record music on it.

Right now I'm learning "Yesterday" by The Beatles and plan on playing it at the open mic nearby.It will be my first real performance, thought I've played in front of people before but I've never sung in front of people.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

I play electric guitar. Mostly lead guitar kind of stuff. I like shredding all over the fretboard, mainly pentatonic scale.
    I need to buy me some loop station, so I can play a rythm riff and then improvize over it.
    I can easily come up with a song using chords, but that's not really what I'm after. I like fast arpeggio's and that kind of thing. In terms of what I like to play, my favorite musicians are Dave Mustaine & Marty Friedman.
    I tried forming a band but our bassist wasn't any good and the drummer was psychotic (he would run off every 5 minutes). And I lacked the technical skills at the time. I still dream of doing something with it. I have a talent for finding odd riffs that work. I hate everything that sounds generic.

Enneagram
    9w8

I play guitar and sing. I also mess around with the Appalachian dulcimer.
    A student said to his master: "You teach me fighting, but you talk about peace. How do you reconcile the two?" The master replied: "It is better to be a warrior in a garden than to be a gardener in a war." - unknown/Chinese

http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...=61024&page=14

MBTI
    XXFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sp

I play piano since I was 3th grade, so I'm currently finishing my 8th year of learning. I love it, but I'm not that amazing.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

1)+2) I used to play piano and percussion -- haven't played piano since high school, and haven't done percussion things since I was in my university's drumline four years ago. I expect to return to both of those someday.

3) I sing -- great pitch (not perfect, but close), and a pure, choirboy-ish sort of tone. Going to join a choir this summer, where hopefully I'll get better with technique (as I'm currently self-taught and REALLY not singing up to my full potential -- which is why I always chicken out and delete my posts in the singing thread).

4) I have been teaching myself how to play the mandolin, and will probably start taking lessons in the next few weeks -- talking logistics with several teachers now. Hopefully I can kill two birds with one stone and tie this into vocal improvement, and see if my teacher can help me adapt my already high and pure voice to a different style of high and pure singing.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Ene View Post
    I play guitar and sing. I also mess around with the Appalachian dulcimer.
    Ooh -- awesome. You should post some of that!
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    Ooh -- awesome. You should post some of that!
    Maybe I will do that this summer.
    A student said to his master: "You teach me fighting, but you talk about peace. How do you reconcile the two?" The master replied: "It is better to be a warrior in a garden than to be a gardener in a war." - unknown/Chinese

http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...=61024&page=14

Quote Originally Posted by meowington View Post
    I play electric guitar. Mostly lead guitar kind of stuff. I like shredding all over the fretboard, mainly pentatonic scale.
    I need to buy me some loop station, so I can play a rythm riff and then improvize over it.
    I can easily come up with a song using chords, but that's not really what I'm after. I like fast arpeggio's and that kind of thing. In terms of what I like to play, my favorite musicians are Dave Mustaine & Marty Friedman.
    I tried forming a band but our bassist wasn't any good and the drummer was psychotic (he would run off every 5 minutes). And I lacked the technical skills at the time. I still dream of doing something with it. I have a talent for finding odd riffs that work. I hate everything that sounds generic.
    I like some shredding stuff too, when I mean shredding I mostly mean stuff like Alex Skolnick (Testament), Dave Mustaine, Chris Oliva (Savatage), Iron Maiden. I don't really like super shreddy stuff like Ingwie Malmsteen, I do like Jason Becker and Steve Vai though but not too into the super shredding. More ofa 70's type soloer myself like David Gilmour, Ritchie Blackmore, Uli Roth, Lynyrd Skynyrd guitarists, etc.
    I definitely everything that sounds generic too, and rehashed.
    Yeah those loops pedals can be great for learning.
    I was in a band, didn't work out, lead singer/guitarist was a junkie.

Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    1)+2) I used to play piano and percussion -- haven't played piano since high school, and haven't done percussion things since I was in my university's drumline four years ago. I expect to return to both of those someday.

3) I sing -- great pitch (not perfect, but close), and a pure, choirboy-ish sort of tone. Going to join a choir this summer, where hopefully I'll get better with technique (as I'm currently self-taught and REALLY not singing up to my full potential -- which is why I always chicken out and delete my posts in the singing thread).

4) I have been teaching myself how to play the mandolin, and will probably start taking lessons in the next few weeks -- talking logistics with several teachers now. Hopefully I can kill two birds with one stone and tie this into vocal improvement, and see if my teacher can help me adapt my already high and pure voice to a different style of high and pure singing.
    Anyone feel free to post your music/you playing it.

I love high male voices, not sure if they still call it tenor or not. I am in that range, I really want to learn to sing. My dad's side of the family is all musical. I took 1 singing lesson and introduction basically but I couldn't afford it but she said I had a nice high voice. Hoping I can develop it so it can take me places. I love singing stuff like "Don't Worry Baby" by The Beach Boys, Paul McCartney stuff, Neil Young "I Believe In You" etc, Queen "Nevermore", and trying to sing Brad Delp stuff from Boston, what golden pipes that guy had.

What kind of stuff do you sing? I love listening to choir music BTW, I'm not religious but gospel stuff just kicks some serious butt.