User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: My Confession

MBTI
    INFP

Default My Confession

I've recently started watching Australian Big Brother and I'm finding it really interesting. It's kind of like a live Sims, with the added bonus that you get to try to type the various people. I can analyze them to my heart's content without having to interact with them.

It's particularly interesting right now because the whole house is ganging up on an INTP for being too INTP. They're all whining about his being too analytical (watching them all the time, making them feel self-conscious) and not participating enough in the "life of the house", whatever that means. He's being especially badgered by an ESFX girl. He's completely playing it wrong as well. All he has to do is draw a distinction between analyzing and judging and he'd be home-free. Instead he's lapping up all this talk about how analytical he is and how that's just the way his brain works. He's actually bragging about how he can analyze people and make incredibly accurate predictions on how they'll act.

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by JivinJeffJones View Post
    ...He's completely playing it wrong as well. All he has to do is draw a distinction between analyzing and judging and he'd be home-free. Instead he's lapping up all this talk about how analytical he is and how that's just the way his brain works. He's actually bragging about how he can analyze people and make incredibly accurate predictions on how they'll act.
    Perhaps he is enjoying the power he has by making everyone feel unsettled? He probably knows he could make that distinction but is having fun not doing it. Maybe he is enjoying seeing just how much ruckus he can cause without lifting a finger.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by toonia View Post
    Perhaps he is enjoying the power he has by making everyone feel unsettled? He probably knows he could make that distinction but is having fun not doing it. Maybe he is enjoying seeing just how much ruckus he can cause without lifting a finger.
    Maybe he was enjoying it initially, but after 45 mins of group badgering and multiple nominations I don't think he's enjoying it so much anymore. I don't think he has enough F savvy to disarm this situation. Okay, now he's crying a bit. Time for an Fe outburst. He's pretty drunk.

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by JivinJeffJones View Post
    Maybe he was enjoying it initially, but after 45 mins of group badgering and multiple nominations I don't think he's enjoying it so much anymore. I don't think he has enough F savvy to disarm this situation. Okay, now he's crying a bit. Time for an Fe outburst. He's pretty drunk.
    Why do I get the feeling I would only enjoy watching the show if you were there?
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

MBTI
    INTP

I don't know which is more surprising, that the producers would cast an INTP or that an INTP would even apply for Big Brother. They are not allowed to read while in jail the house. That alone would make it sheer hell for an INTP. And then there's the lack of privacy.

Oh well, he's an instant out-group.

Why do I get the feeling I would only enjoy watching the show if you were there?
    'Cause what really makes the Big Brother experience is the snark, a la MST3K. I used to read a forum that was dedicated to reality TV snark, and I was amused without even having to watch the show.

MBTI
    INTj

INTPs always tout themselves as being social chameleons. If he was that intelligent and strategic, he would realize that he has to "play the game," so to speak. So either:

a) He's stupid
    b) He's not an INTP
    c) INTPs aren't necessarily the social chameleons that they say they are

MBTI
    INFP

Gah, that was painful. I had to turn the volume town. Ever watch an INTP try to turn himself into an ESFP on the spot? They just asked him to let his guard down and tell them what was going on inside and he agreed to do it, only to spend about 3 minutes thinking about what he wanted to say (while they waited in silence). Then he didn't really say anything except that he was going to try to be a silly fuck for the rest of his stay and not think too much about anything and not care what anyone thinks about him. Even the irony of this could not ease the cringe factor.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by nottaprettygal View Post
    INTPs always tout themselves as being social chameleons. If he was that intelligent and strategic, he would realize that he has to "play the game," so to speak. So either:

a) He's stupid
    b) He's not an INTP
    My guess. However, it should be noted that he really has no "safe" place to evaluate his own behaviour from. Locked up with a bunch of screaming extroverts, knowing that even if you could conceivably get away from them you still have multiple cameras and an entire nation potentially watching you. They even have cameras in the toilet cubicle.

And I'm not totally convinced that INTPs are as effective at being social chameleons as they think they are. The INTPs I know seem to think that slouching and sticking their hands in their pockets is enough to conceal their freakish intellects.

MBTI
    INTP

The 24/7 game shows like Survivor and Big Brother fascinate me because they show how hard it is to keep up a front when you're with a small group of people continuously for over a month. Contestants show some of their true selves whether they want to or not.

Quote Originally Posted by nottaprettygal View Post

a) He's stupid
    b) He's not an INTP
    d) He's incredibly intelligent and playing a blinder of a strategy, one shining so brightly that nobody realises he's actually about to win
    e) the pressure has got to him and he's falling back on his INTP-based instinctive abilities as an exercise in self-reassurance/self-validation

Given that this is a vaguely MBTI-based discussion, I wonder whether the tendency to rely on natural choice preferences would increase (pressure) or decrease (condensed social interactions bring about some kind of group harmonisation). I imagine the former?
    January has April's showers
    And 2 and 2 always makes a 5