• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Favorite Pieces Of Classical Music

rav3n

Is this strictly classical music or would baroque, romantic era and opera be acceptable?

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I would say that baroque definitely qualifies as classical music. Bach, Vivaldi, and Handel were all baroque composers.

rav3n

Technically, baroque and classical are separate classifications, hence why I asked. Beethoven falls under the romantic era.

rav3n

THE CLASSICAL PERIOD (1775-1825)

THE CLASSICAL PERIOD (1775-1825)

The Baroque period culminated in the masterpieces of J.S. Bach and G.F. Handel. In the middle of the eighteenth century, contemporaneous with the mature years of Bach and Handel, a new musical style developed that is known as Rococo or preclassical style. This style is most evident in keyboard and orchestral music, but it is mentioned here because it represented a transition from the Baroque to the Classical era, occurring between 1725 and 1770.

Classical period (music) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The dates of the Classical period in Western music are generally accepted as being between about 1750 and 1820. However, the term classical music is used in a colloquial sense as a synonym for Western art music, which describes a variety of Western musical styles from the ninth century to the present, and especially from the sixteenth or seventeenth to the nineteenth. This article is about the specific period from 1730 to 1820.[1]

The Classical period falls between the Baroque and the Romantic periods.

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Wikipedia also says,

Baroque music is a style of Western art music composed from approximately 1600 to 1750.[1] This era followed the Renaissance, and was followed in turn by the Classical era.

But in the next paragraph, it says,

Baroque music forms a major portion of the "classical music" canon, being widely studied, performed, and listened to.

Make up your mind, Wikipedia.

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I don't listen to much but I absolutely love this one. :wubbie:

rav3n

Wiki differentiates between the term used in the colloquial sense and in the technical sense, hence why my post begins with 'Technically'.

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Fair enough. Technically, no, you cannot post your favorite baroque pieces. But colloquially, knock yourself out.

rav3n

Fair enough. Technically, no, you cannot post your favorite baroque pieces. But colloquially, knock yourself out.
Love it! :laugh:

Romantic Era:

Violin Concerto in D Major, op 61 - Beethoven (Yehudi Menuhin)

Baroque Era:

Orchestral Suite No.3 in D, BWV1068, Air - J.S. Bach (Berlin Philharmonic, Herbert von Karajan)

And Opera because I'm difficult:

Un bel di vedremo (aria from Madama Butterfly) - Puccini (Maria Callas)

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I like Moonlight Sonata and the Nutcracker Suite, I know, how boring.

I also like the Tristan and Isolde opera for personal reasons.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Bestest:

This one is really nice also:

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I had to look through this entire thread to make sure my favorites hadn't already been posted.

I have a thing for the violin, so some of my favorite pieces feature it prominently. Here are two I absolutely love:

"Zigeunerweisen (Gypsy Airs)" by Sarasate, played here by Itzhak Perlman.

And "Introduction et Rondo Capriccioso in A minor, Op. 28" by Saint-Saens, played by Joshua Bell.

But when it comes to piano concertos (concerti?) no one, in my opinion, is better than Mozart.

grey_beard

The Typing Tabby
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I like classical music, but don't know a lot of theory.

So, I was wondering if anyone else out there liked classical music, or at least certain pieces. Under classical, I'm including baroque, classical, and romantic periods.

What pieces or composers do you prefer? Specific pieces would be great, because I'll try to listen to them if I haven't.

I myself like Vivaldi a lot, especially his concertos.

For a specific piece, I like Schubert's Serenade and the 1812 concerto of Tchaikovsky.

Mozart, Brandenburg Concerto No.5.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
danse macabre- saint saens

symphonie fantastique- hector berlioz

pictures in an exhibit- modest mussorgsky

intermezzo from carmen is one of the most lovely things I've ever heard

I like music without words though... sometimes things are expressed more clearly that way :)

grey_beard

The Typing Tabby
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
danse macabre- saint saens

symphonie fantastique- hector berlioz

pictures in an exhibit- modest mussorgsky

intermezzo from carmen is one of the most lovely things I've ever heard

I like music without words though... sometimes things are expressed more clearly that way :)

I love the guillotine part in symphonie fantastique...btw, the entire "plot" as it were, sounds like something from Edgar Allan Poe.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I love the guillotine part in symphonie fantastique...btw, the entire "plot" as it were, sounds like something from Edgar Allan Poe.

:laugh: you're quite correct there... though the end would probably gain Lovecraft's approval as well

perhaps I have a bit of a morbid streak though... currently listening to Mozart's version of Dies Irae