MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Default Amazing Spiderman 2

Well, that's embarrassing.

The movie started out around 76% on RT with enough reviews for them to do a positive writeup. (It had somewhere around 50-60 reviews at the time.) Normally the score might move a bit after that point, but the overall gist says the same.

This morning, with twice that number of reviews in, it's dropped to 58%.

Still plan to see it anyway, but... RT got burned. Rather amusing.

I rewatched the first one on Tuesday. Some people didn't like it, but in general I did; I like how Garfield took another valid spin on the character rather than just playing into Maguire's take.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1

I also liked how Garfield played the character, overall, I really liked the movie.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

While the cast is outstanding and the special effects are top-notch, the latest installment of the Spidey saga suffers from an unfocused narrative and an overabundance of characters.
    (A) They must've really made improvements to the fx shots in the trailers...because they looked downright atrocious.

(B) Sounds like they didn't learn anything from Spider-Man 3.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I just saw it tonight (IMAX 3D), and I'm gonna state bullshit on much of the criticisms.

No, it's not a four-star movie... but is it worth seeing? Yes. (I don't understand what some critics thought was so bad that it made a "bad" movie rather than a movie that was enjoyable to watch. It's not a "no." Although maybe they just don't like superhero movies?)

And yes, the highlights of the movie are the actions sequences, plus pretty much anytime that Garfield, DeHaan, Stone, and/or Fields are interacting on the screen. The rapport is pretty incredible, that was worth seeing all on its own. They also do some of the Spiderman-swinging footage as if he's holding the camera, so you're almost seeing what he sees; and yes, U, you're probably more particular about your 3D than I am, based on what I've seen you comment on in the past, but I liked it.

I didn't find the characters difficult at all to follow. As far as three villains go, they're only ever on "one at a time" and there's no issues -- Electro is the primary villain, and Green Goblin doesn't come into until after that is resolved and you think you can relax (and you're tracking Osbourne's progress throughout the movie, so there is no surprise with it)... and the Rhino isn't really a character in the movie, he's like the Underminer who appears in the last 30 seconds of the Incredibles.... he was never meant to be a "real" character, he functions exactly the same as the Underminer did.

They also tied together the motivations of each of the main characters, especially the villains. It all syncs up, no one's doing something "just to be a creep" -- it's like watching dominos fall after the first half of the movie has been set up. The plot didn't have a LOT to it... but in that sense neither did Spiderman 2.

Finally, if you are all acquainted with the comic-book history, I'm not going to say how the movie plays out, but they do a pretty good job of going back and forth on it until the very end -- it had me guessing.

The Easter Egg clip in the credits, though, is pretty dumb. It's confusing to understand what is happening, and doesn't seem to be very significant at the moment.

I would have liked to have seen more of Chris Cooper. He's a tremendous actor, and I didn't think he got a lot to play with here.

And I agree with complaints about the Kafka guy -- what a stupid cliche, they could have done far better.

EDIT: Looks like I need to eat a little crow on the Kafka thing, since I didn't read the early runs of Spider-Man (i.e., 60's -> early 70's): I just saw this on Wiki regarding Harry Osbourne:

...Spider-Man pushes for Harry to get psychiatric treatment from Dr. Ashley Kafka, but he is ultimately transferred to the Vault.[6] However, the state is unable to put together a sufficient case against Harry, and after just a few weeks in prison he is released.[7]
    The character might have been treated differently, but they swiped the name from the comic.
    Last edited by Bellflower; 05-02-2014 at 03:39 PM.

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Oh, they ran the Godzilla trailer. That was pretty awesome in IMAX 3D.
    And they really avoid showing a lot -- it's cut together nicely that way.

MBTI
    INTp

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I rewatched the first one on Tuesday. Some people didn't like it, but in general I did; I like how Garfield took another valid spin on the character rather than just playing into Maguire's take.
    I just saw if for the first time this past weekend. The movie itself was OK, but I saw no advantage or necessity for a re-boot. So that aspect seemed like a Hollywood cop out. It's like they didn't have enough material for a spiderman vs sandman stand alone sequel, so they slapped a new coat of paint on the origination story and told it again for the first half the movie.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by SensEye View Post
    I just saw if for the first time this past weekend. The movie itself was OK, but I saw no advantage or necessity for a re-boot. So that aspect seemed like a Hollywood cop out. It's like they didn't have enough material for a spiderman vs sandman stand alone sequel, so they slapped a new coat of paint on the origination story and told it again for the first half the movie.
    Well, if you want to be fair, they're only doing what the comic book itself has done over and over and over again. I mean, what are they doing now? Rebooting Amazing Spiderman AGAIN? This time with someone else also being bitten by the same spider ("Silk"), to add more to the mix?

I find the comics -- the source -- to be far worse.

I thought Garfield's spin was valuable. The Maguire version of Spidey seemed to capture the INFP idealistic aspect of Peter Parker; Garfield's version focuses on the ISTP-like wisecracking version that Raimi's movies ignored, and also reestablished that Peter really is quite smart in the techs and sciences. Put them together, you get more of a whole picture of Spiderman.

Also don't think the Sandman story had any more teeth. I think he had apologized for his crimes to Spiderman, then let himself dissipate or something. Whether or not he's alive, the motive no longer seemed to be there to make him a villain. It was about time they actually did something with Curt Connors; he shows up in the Raimi movies (played by Dylan Baker) but they don't do anything with him, Rhys Ifans' version even while in human form was far more remarkable.

MBTI
    INTp

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Well, if you want to be fair, they're only doing what the comic book itself has done over and over and over again. I mean, what are they doing now? Rebooting Amazing Spiderman AGAIN? This time with someone else also being bitten by the same spider ("Silk"), to add more to the mix?

I find the comics -- the source -- to be far worse.

I thought Garfield's spin was valuable...
    I have to confess having tuned out of comic book culture decades back, so I am stuck in time with the original story lines for most of the famous superhero's. However, I am aware there have been lots of reboots/rewrites with dramatically different story lines across the whole spectrum.

I agree with you on preferring the nature of Garfield's spin more than the original, but not to the point of justifying a re-boot. Again, I didn't mind the reboot, it just seemed like too much deja-vu since it was basically the original all over again with a few minor mods (slightly different Peter, different girl, different villain).

PS> Got my villains confused, I meant The Lizard (not Sandman) in the reboot.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Phony Imageworks at its finest, and why didn't they just call this Infamous: The Movie?

The best part of my evening is that the fire alarm went off in the theater (I guess they were testing it), and I got a free movie pass because of it.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Well, since I got a moment, I might as well talk about the movie a little more.

Firstly, if Captain America 2 was the comic book movie that one-upped the likes of Spider-Man 2, Iron Man, Batman Begins, and The Avengers, then The Amazing Spider-Man 2 is the Fantastic Four that we have to deal with in between.

This movie was a mess, and Electro (AKA Infamous) was unbelievably lame. Why the hell did he become a villain other than the script dictating that he do so? Chris Cooper's Norman Osborn didn't even need to be in the movie. Dane DeHaan's Harry Osborn/Green Goblin was unnecessary (been there, done that), and the scene with Rhino could've easily been reserved for the third part.

The best action sequence in the movie had to be the opening chase, but it still feels like I've been here before.

Overall, this reboot series is still unnecessary. There was no reason they couldn't continue the Sam Raimi timeline with different actors. Andrew Garfield is a decent Spider-Man, but an abysmal Peter Parker. Where Tobey Maguire was brilliant playing Parker as an awkward nerd, Andrew Garfield plays him as a hipster that I just want to punch in the face.