User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Sounds like it's possible that the disappointments of this movie weren't all Webb's fault.

here's a quote from James Horner, who didn't end up scoring AS2:

“[Director Marc Webb] was very inexperienced and he and I had a very good relationship and the producers had their own opinion. And they didn’t want his input. And then Sony had their own, they just wanted action. To me, the whole thing about doing the first movie was I liked the director and there was a chance to write something for the two lead characters and then she dies in the next movie. But the next movie ended up being so terrible, I didn’t want to do it. It was just dreadful.”
    IOW... as the cliche might go... freaking execs bolluxed the pic.

James Horner on why he didn't return for The Amazing Spider-Man 2: "It was just dreadful" - Flickering Myth

EDIT: This also is in the trivia section of the IMDB page for the movie:

Following the mixed critical and audience reaction to the film, star Andrew Garfield revealed that the screen-story had undergone major rewrites and restructuring during production. The original script focused more on the relationship between Gwen Stacey and Peter Parker, as well as the evolution of Max Dillion into the psychotic Electro and Harry Osbourn's descent into madness. During production at the behest of Sony studios, the story underwent a major overhaul to introduce a number of additional characters from the Spider-Man mythos, including Rhino, Black Cat, Dr. Kafka, with allusions to Mysterio, Vulture, Dr. Octopus, and Kraven the Hunter, among others with the hopes of creating a line of spin-off films. For his part, Garfield himself expressed his own disappointment at the deviation from the original story.
    Jackasses. They got ahead of themselves in order to compete with the Avengers (which took quite a number of films to "build up" the mythos), and in the process destroyed the possibilities of getting to where they wanted to go. The original concept sounds like it would have been a far more enduring movie and more like something Webb would have come up with.

Here's also a list of some of the items that supposedly differed. At least one shows up as Deleted Scenes. I don't think they were all great ideas, but they show some significant differences:

"Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Two Reasons Why Andrew Garfield Could Be Out As Spiderman -- Report - International Business Times

The recent Sony Pictures hacking revealed a third sequel for "The Amazing Spider-Man" was intentionally planned to be filmed with the collaboration of Marvel and Sony. However, it's believed producers want a fresh start with the movie including having the title role given to a new actor instead of to Andrew Garfield.

Latino Review's Kellvin Chavez claimed Marvel wants a clean slate if ever "The Amazing Spider-Man 3" will push through....Marvel wants a clean slate, apparently, and they are not interested in doing any more so-called "romance" movies but would rather "focus on the difficulties of being a teenager and a superhero with a romance side-story," Chavez said.

Additionally, Marvel was supposedly very intent on letting go of Andrew Garfield to reprise his role as Peter Parker a.k.a. Spider-Man. Chavez didn't specify any details regarding the actor's casting. But according Mashable, Garfield had some previous "misdemeanours" way back in July that had allegedly displeased Sony's higher-ups.

"Garfield has been praised for his performance as Peter Parker, but his critical remarks that seemed to blame the studio for 'Amazing Spider-Man 2's' tepid box office and critical reception may have annoyed the wrong people," writer Christina Warren said.

Additionally, Garfield reportedly also failed to attend ("with less than an hour's notice") a Sony corporate dinner back in July. He was supposedly scheduled for a meeting with Sony CEO Kaz Hirai and other higher-ups. According to Warren his absence was considered as an "affront and slight by the company's Tokyo bosses." Thus, it's believed the actor's contract has officially been terminated and the recent hacking even further fuels this speculation...
    Which is all kind of a shame because I thought his take was interesting, and from what I've read it does seem like Sony's production staff is to blame (in part for trying to accelerate a franchise to mirror Marvel's work and in the process fubar'ing the vehicle they had depended on to get them there). But Garfield wasn't too savvy in how he spoke about it, and then he apparently lost face with Sony execs....
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

good, hot, fresh, fly ~ laterlazer's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    592 sp

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Two Reasons Why Andrew Garfield Could Be Out As Spiderman -- Report - International Business Times

Which is all kind of a shame because I thought his take was interesting, and from what I've read it does seem like Sony's production staff is to blame (in part for trying to accelerate a franchise to mirror Marvel's work and in the process fubar'ing the vehicle they had depended on to get them there). But Garfield wasn't too savvy in how he spoke about it, and then he apparently lost face with Sony execs....
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nooooo.

What a waste too. They better not think of releasing any more Spider-man movies for another 10 years though then.