• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Rank the tracks on your favorite album

Flâneuse

don't ask me
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Rank the tracks on your favorite album from favorite to least favorite. If your favorite album isn't that well-known, rank the tracks on your favorite popular album too.
[MENTION=1206]cascadeco[/MENTION]

favorite album - Boys for Pele (Tori Amos):
1. Doughnut Song
2. Blood Roses
3. Father Lucifer
4. Talula (especially The Tornado Mix)
5. Beauty Queen/Horses
6. Hey Jupiter
7. Marianne
8. Caught a Lite Sneeze
9. In the Springtime of His Voodoo
10. Muhammad My Friend
11. Not the Red Baron
12. Professional Widow
13. Little Amsterdam
14. Putting the Damage On
15. Way Down
16. Twinkle
17. Mr. Zebra
18. Agent Orange

favorite well-known album - OK Computer (Radiohead):
1. Let Down
2. Paranoid Android
3. Exit Music (For a Film)
4. Lucky
5. Subterranean Homesick Alien
6. Airbag
7. No Surprises
8. Karma Police
9. Climbing Up the Walls
10. The Tourist
11. Fitter Happier
12. Electioneering

Last edited:
S

Stansmith

Top Tier:

The Tourist
Lucky
Airbag
Paranoid Android
Let Down
Exit Music

Second Tier:

Karma Police
Subterranean Homesick Alien
Electioneering
Climbing Up the Walls
No Surprises

Last edited:

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Breakaway (Kelly Clarkson):

1. Since U Been Gone
2. Because of You
3. Breakaway
4. Behind These Hazel Eyes
5. Walk Away
6. Beautiful Disaster (Live)
7. You Found Me
8. Addicted
9. Gone
10. Where Is Your Heart
11. Hear Me
12. I Hate Myself for Losing You

N

ndovjtjcaqidthi

Jackson C. Frank - Jackson C. Frank

1. My Name is Carnival
2. Just Like Anything
3. Blues Run The Game
4. Milk And Honey
5. I Want To Be Alone (Dialogue)
6. Yellow Walls
7. You Never Wanted Me
8. Kimbie
9. Here Come The Blues
10. Don't Look Back

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
Favorite tracks: Nurburgring, Spa Francorchamps, Circuit de la Sarthe, Laguna Seca, Yas Marina

Hive

hypersane
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The official power rankings for The Seer by Swans:

1. The Apostate
2. The Seer
3. Mother of the World
4. The Seer Returns
5. Avatar
6. A Piece of the Sky
7. 93 Ave. B Blues
8. Lunacy
9. Song For a Warrior
10. The Daughter Brings the Water
11. The Wolf

favorite well-known album - OK Computer (Radiohead):
1. Let Down
2. Paranoid Android
3. Exit Music (For a Film)
4. Lucky
5. Subterranean Homesick Alien
6. Airbag
7. No Surprises
8. Karma Police
9. Climbing Up the Walls
10. The Tourist
11. Fitter Happier
12. Electioneering
This ranking nailed the most crucial point: Let Down in the No. 1 spot. Extra credit for placing Electioneering last and The Tourist in the bottom 3.

However...

I can't forgive you for placing No Surprises, Karma Police and Climbing Up the Walls so low, beneath even Airbag and Subterranean Homesick Alien. No Surprises and Climbing Up the Walls are in the top 5 for me, easily. :D

Top Tier:

The Tourist
Lucky
Airbag
Paranoid Android
Let Down
Exit Music

Second Tier:

Karma Police
Subterranean Homesick Alien
Electioneering
Climbing Up the Walls
No Surprises
confimed for /mu/tant

Jackson C. Frank - Jackson C. Frank

1. My Name is Carnival
2. Just Like Anything
3. Blues Run The Game
4. Milk And Honey
5. I Want To Be Alone (Dialogue)
6. Yellow Walls
7. You Never Wanted Me
8. Kimbie
9. Here Come The Blues
10. Don't Look Back

Don't Look Back last? :ohmy:

Hive

hypersane
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah, well, there had to be a last song.. Lol.

And I was never really a fan of it. It's basically him doing Dylan, badly.

What would your rankings be?
I like it, a lot. I didn't pick up on any similarities with Dylan actually, but then again I'm not well versed in Dylan's catalogue. Comparing them just now, I think the biggest difference is Frank's more aggressive guitar playing and resounding voice. It's one of my favorites on the album, regardless. :laugh:

My own rankings would be something like:

1. My Name is Carnival (And I see you agree with me on this one. Excellent choice. :D)
2. You Never Wanted Me
3. Blues Run the Game
4. Don't Look Back
5. Just Like Anything
6. Milk and Honey
7. Kimbie
8. Dialogue
9. Here Come the Blues
10. Yellow Walls

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Doolittle (Pixies)
1. Monkey Gone to Heaven
2. Mr. Grieves
3. Tame
4. Here Comes Your Man
5. Wave of Mutilation
6. Dead
7. La La Love You
8. Hey
9. Crackity Jones
10. Debaser
11. I Bleed
12. Silver
13. No. 13 Baby
14. There Goes My Gun
15. Gouge Away

N

ndovjtjcaqidthi

I like it, a lot. I didn't pick up on any similarities with Dylan actually, but then again I'm not well versed in Dylan's catalogue. Comparing them just now, I think the biggest difference is Frank's more aggressive guitar playing and resounding voice. It's one of my favorites on the album, regardless. :laugh:

He wrote Don't Look Back when protest songs were a huge thing, at their peak of popularity, I can't help but find it derivative of that, and with Dylan being the most influential protest singer there was, can't help but compare.

It's not that it's a bad song, of course. There are no bad tracks on the album. It's just that all the others, except for Here Come The Blues are real "Jackson C. Frank" type songs. You know? Haha. It doesn't really flow with the rest of the album.

I do like the guitar playing on it, but I don't really like the lyrics. For example: "Keep your eye on freedom's shore". I find it very lame and typical of the era it was written in.

My own rankings would be something like:

1. My Name is Carnival (And I see you agree with me on this one. Excellent choice. :D)
2. You Never Wanted Me
3. Blues Run the Game
4. Don't Look Back
5. Just Like Anything
6. Milk and Honey
7. Kimbie
8. Dialogue
9. Here Come the Blues
10. Yellow Walls

I do like You Never Wanted Me, alot (It's one of the best songs about a failed relationship ever), but the guitar is too similar to what he plays in Blues Run the Game, and that's why I ranked it so low.

I find it strange that you would place Yellow Walls last. I think it's a great song, the words are really good, there are just other great songs that I like slightly more for certain reasons, that I had to place them before that one, haha.

I also find it strange that you would place Dialogue third from last..

:)

MBTI Type
INTJ
Achtung Baby, U2

1. Until The End Of The World
2. Mysterious Ways
3. The Fly
4. Ultraviolet
5. Love Is Blindness
6. So Cruel
7. Acrobat
8. One
9. Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
10. Tryin' To Throw Your Arms Around The World
11. Even Better Than The Real Thing
12. Zoo Station

Hive

hypersane
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
He wrote Don't Look Back when protest songs were a huge thing, at their peak of popularity, and with Dylan being the most influential protest singer there was, I can't help but associate it with him.

It's not that it's a bad song, of course. There are no bad tracks on the album. It's just that all the others, except for Here Come The Blues are real "Jackson C. Frank" type songs, you know? Haha. It doesn't really flow with the rest of the album.

I do like the guitar playing on it, but I don't really like the lyrics. For example: "Keep your eye on freedom's shore". I find it very lame and typical of the era it was written in.
Yeah, I get what you mean. It's kinda interruptive with its starkly different tone and delivery, though I'm not bothered by it. It's kinda like what you said about Nick Drake's upbeat songs - It's nice to hear a different side of him for a change.

I actually really like that line. Not the words themselves (I rarely pay attention to lyrics) but the urgency with which they are delivered. It feels like it's important. :laugh:

I do like You Never Wanted Me, alot (It's one of the best songs about a failed relationship ever), but the guitar is too similar to what he plays in Blues Run the Game, and that's why I ranked it so low.
... and I think this is one of the rare occassions when the lyrics actually influence my opinion of a song. Because the album end on such a downer, I usually feel like wallowing in sadness some more and play the album from start to finish one or two more times. :rofl1:

I find it strange that you would place Yellow Walls last. I think it's a great song, the words are really good, there are just other great songs that I like slightly more for certain reasons, that I had to place them before that one, haha.

I also find it strange that you would place Dialogue third from last..

:)
Those songs just don't excite me much. I'm more for the melody/atmosphere/"feel" of a song than trying to dig deeper for a message. Even though they're not bad songs and definetely have their place on the album, I think most of the other songs are stronger melodically and instrumentally.

Flâneuse

don't ask me
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The official power rankings for The Seer by Swans:

1. The Apostate
2. The Seer
3. Mother of the World
4. The Seer Returns
5. Avatar
6. A Piece of the Sky
7. 93 Ave. B Blues
8. Lunacy
9. Song For a Warrior
10. The Daughter Brings the Water
11. The Wolf

:thumbup: for The Seer rankings, except I would have ranke Song for a Warrior higher. My other favorites are The Seer Returns, Mother of the World, and The Seer. Lunacy is good too.

This ranking nailed the most crucial point: Let Down in the No. 1 spot. Extra credit for placing Electioneering last and The Tourist in the bottom 3.

However...

I can't forgive you for placing No Surprises, Karma Police and Climbing Up the Walls so low, beneath even Airbag and Subterranean Homesick Alien. No Surprises and Climbing Up the Walls are in the top 5 for me, easily. :D

Ranking the tracks on OK Computer was really tough for me - I'm in love with ALL of them except for "Electioneering". I felt weird about ranking "Fitter Happier" at all, because it's more of an interlude than a song but it's so chilling and crucial to album's concept. (I have a Radiohead poster with its lyrics on my wall.) I think the band/producers made the right decision in putting it in the middle of the album instead of as the opening track.

"Let Down" never fails to blow me away and is my 3rd favorite Radiohead song ever. So many remarkable things about it - the dissonance between the upbeat music and depressing subject matter, the rising desperation in Thom's voice...the verse that starts with "shell smashed/juices flowing/wings twitch" always gets me the most because of its imagery and the delusional way he sings "someday I am gonna grow wings". I'm easily affected by music and tear up often, but this remains one of the few songs that's ever truly made me cry. I love Radiohead's newest albums (TKOL and In Rainbows), but it doesn't punch me in the gut the way this stuff does.

Hive

hypersane
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
:thumbup: for The Seer rankings, except I would have ranke Song for a Warrior higher. My other favorites are The Seer Returns, Mother of the World, and The Seer. Lunacy is good too.
It's a great song, and a welcome moment of calm to catch your breath after the exhausting first half. But for me, their hardhitting, hypnotic, manic, droning and apocalyptic songs always had the bigger appeal.

Ranking the tracks on OK Computer was really tough for me - I'm in love with ALL of them except for "Electioneering". I felt weird about ranking "Fitter Happier" at all, because it's more of an interlude than a song but it's so chilling and crucial to album's concept. (I have a Radiohead poster with its lyrics on my wall.) I think the band/producers made the right decision in putting it in the middle of the album instead of as the opening track.
I think Fitter, Happier is a great track even as an individual track taken out of its context. It kinda summarizes the vision of the whole album: A portrayal of a cold, sterile and detached societal hell.

"Let Down" never fails to blow me away and is my 3rd favorite Radiohead song ever. So many remarkable things about it - the dissonance between the upbeat music and depressing subject matter, the rising desperation in Thom's voice...the verse that starts with "shell smashed/juices flowing/wings twitch" always gets me the most because of its imagery and the delusional way he sings "someday I am gonna grow wings". I'm easily affected by music and tear up often, but this remains one of the few songs that's ever truly made me cry. I love Radiohead's newest albums (TKOL and In Rainbows), but it doesn't punch me in the gut the way this stuff does.
Yeah, it's probably the most positive sounding song on there, but it definetely has the greatest emotional affect. It's in my top 3 Radiohead songs as well, together with Idioteque and How to Disappear Completely.

In Rainbows is actually tied with OK Computer for me. I enjoy the warm and intimate feeling of it. And even though it doesn't reach the highs of Let Down and Climbing Up the Walls, I think it's a better overall effort.

Kid A still reigns supreme, though. :D

N

ndovjtjcaqidthi

Nick Drake - Pink Moon

1. Things Behind The Sun
2. Parasite
3. Pink Moon
4. Place To Be
5. Which Will
6. From The Morning
7. Harvest Breed
8. Horn
9. Know
10. Free Ride
11. Road

The last couple tracks were hard to place..

By the way, [MENTION=20761]underwaterthing[/MENTION] and [MENTION=11809]unsung[/MENTION]

Listen to Parasite, and then listen to Subterranean Homesick Alien. Notice the similarities?