First 234

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

@Jennifer, yes, Transcendence was better than the Total Recall remake...but that's not hard for most movies to do.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Just tried to stream this online and I can't continue -- it's the most fucking boring movie I've seen in my life. I made it about 40 minutes through, and there's no reason for me to waste another 80 minutes trying to stick it out until the end.

This is what happens when you let a cinematographer with no sense of how to set up scenes for dramatic continuity/arc direct a movie. It's flatter than a pancake after a stack of elephants sits on it.

Which is just too bad, with the cast they had in this movie -- Johnny Depp, Rebecca Hall (who I dearly love), Kate Mara, Paul Bettany, Cillian Murphy, Mor gan Freeman. What a total waste.

I don't think there is any worse sin for a movie than being boring, honestly. As long as it's interesting, you can watch any genre that someone might put out; but to not generate any emotional or mental interest in the story or characters? Unforgivable.

(And yeah, I found the Total Recall remake while not a high point in cinema to still generate some actual emotion in certain scenes.)
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    953 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Just tried to stream this online and I can't continue -- it's the most fucking boring movie I've seen in my life. I made it about 40 minutes through, and there's no reason for me to waste another 80 minutes trying to stick it out until the end.

This is what happens when you let a cinematographer with no sense of how to set up scenes for dramatic continuity/arc direct a movie. It's flatter than a pancake after a stack of elephants sits on it.

Which is just too bad, with the cast they had in this movie -- Johnny Depp, Rebecca Hall (who I dearly love), Kate Mara, Paul Bettany, Cillian Murphy, Mor gan Freeman. What a total waste.

I don't think there is any worse sin for a movie than being boring, honestly. As long as it's interesting, you can watch any genre that someone might put out; but to not generate any emotional or mental interest in the story or characters? Unforgivable.

(And yeah, I found the Total Recall remake while not a high point in cinema to still generate some actual emotion in certain scenes.)
    That's how I ended up feeling about "Her". From the main concept, previews and cast, I thought it would be a great film. I tried to watch it over a period of about 5 days. I could take about 1-5 minutes of it at a time, and had to quit watching. I think I got about 20-30 minutes in. Then I just gave up.
    An argument is two people sharing their ignorance.

A discussion is two people sharing their understanding, even when they disagree.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by uumlau View Post
    That's how I ended up feeling about "Her". From the main concept, previews and cast, I thought it would be a great film. I tried to watch it over a period of about 5 days. I could take about 1-5 minutes of it at a time, and had to quit watching. I think I got about 20-30 minutes in. Then I just gave up.
    Which leaves me wondering: "What's the difference?"
    Because I had a completely different reaction to "Her," whose script won the original screenplay Oscar.

It didn't help in Transcendence when there's lots of fake technospeak, a lot of explosions/murders including the shooting of the lead who then is dying rapidly of some bizarre radiation poisoning that can't be stopped (it's so contrived) -- and that's not a spoiler, that's in the trailers -- and then he kind of just passes on and gets uploaded. Again, all in the trailers. But it's all flat and nothing is happening. Either things were irrational and contrived, or they were boring and the scenes stagnant.

... oh, and Depp sounds like he's either drunk or phoning it in for the part of the movie where he's physically alive. IT's even hard to understand him sometimes, even before he's injured. I mean, srsly? At least Hall tries to evoke something, and Bettany is rather winsome and the conscience, but..... uggh.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Apparently, it's as bad as TMNT '14.