User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w3 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    There's been discussion about it but I don't remember where. Usually centers around INTP and INTJ. He might have even claimed to be an INTJ, but I don't recall right now.

I don't know what to expect from Interstellar either. Great cast, again. At least Jonathan and Christopher Nolan wrote the script -- I think that's an important factor, Jonathan usually knocks stuff out of the park and has been very successful in that vein.
    I actually thought INFJ. Won't argue why now
    4w3 - 7w6 - 1w9 : The Idealist

(4/25 good/bad split).
    So? If you want to see the movie, why do reviews matter?

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Stephano View Post
    I haven't seen it yet. However I saw the Total Recall remake and it was still ok I guess. I've got a glimpse on the Schwarzenegger movie but it looked awful from what I've seen.
    I actually liked the Director's Cut of the remake as a total picture more than the original -- but I think some of the scenes in the original were better.

Anyway, I knew U saw TR remake, so I was asking him to compare.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    So? If you want to see the movie, why do reviews matter?
    Money.

And I'm not going by scores per se, I actually read a number of reviews that I can then evaluate the criticisms based on my personal likes/dislikes and determine whether it's worth the investment for me personally to spend $10-17 in the theater to see something now, or if I should just wait a few months and redbox it.

I've occasionally gone against my better judgment and seen a movie anyway... then wished I had saved my money.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w3 so/sp

I actually liked the Director's Cut of the remake as a total picture more than the original -- but I think some of the scenes in the original were better.

Anyway, I knew U saw TR remake, so I was asking him to compare.
    I only know that Hank from Breaking Bad has a brief appearance in the original movie. That's why I watched some scenes on youtube. Schwarzenegger's accent is funny enough to make it comedy out of it.
    Edit: It has a 7,5 on IMDB. Not bad.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I only know that Hank from Breaking Bad has a brief appearance in the original movie. That's why I watched some scenes on youtube. Schwarzenegger's accent is funny enough to make it comedy out of it.
    Edit: It has a 7,5 on IMDB. Not bad.
    I consider it a camp classic -- it's hard to take super-serious, swarzenegger just isn't that great of an actor, and here he kind of plays things up a bit. There's also some over the top scenes (such as the femme-on-femme fight). Ronny Cox isn't exactly subtle either.

But there are some great reveals, like when you find out what's going on (it's a game within a game within a game kind of thing). Or when you finally meet the rebel leader. etc.

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w3 so/sp

I consider it a camp classic -- it's hard to take super-serious, swarzenegger just isn't that great of an actor, and here he kind of plays things up a bit. There's also some over the top scenes (such as the femme-on-femme fight). Ronny Cox isn't exactly subtle either.

But there are some great reveals, like when you find out what's going on (it's a game within a game within a game kind of thing). Or when you finally meet the rebel leader. etc.
    Isn't the plot the same as in the remake? My memory of the movie is very vague right now. I've watched it 3 years ago or something like that. Anyway I think I'll watch the original today.

Money.

And I'm not going by scores per se, I actually read a number of reviews that I can then evaluate the criticisms based on my personal likes/dislikes and determine whether it's worth the investment for me personally to spend $10-17 in the theater to see something now, or if I should just wait a few months and redbox it.

I've occasionally gone against my better judgment and seen a movie anyway... then wished I had saved my money.
    Holy crap. 17? Is that a theater price? (I only watch movies at home, now.) I wanted to see Jobs when it came out, but I waited and paid 5 bucks for a 2-day rental using my cable service. I want to see Transcendence, too. It sounds interesting.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Isn't the plot the same as in the remake? My memory of the movie is very vague right now. I've watched it 3 years ago or something like that. Anyway I think I'll watch the original today.
    Probably the biggest disappointment about the remake is that it was supposed to be made from the story but they obviously used the first movie as main source. (I've read the story.) So aside from a few new elements like The Fall (which was actually a decent idea, in lieu of sending characters to Mars), they swiped too much from the original without necessarily improving it and maybe could have taken things in very new directions. I don't think the original took itself so seriously, while the second was too serious about itself while not quite earning it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    Holy crap. 17? Is that a theater price? (I only watch movies at home, now.) I wanted to see Jobs when it came out, but I waited and paid 5 bucks for a 2-day rental using my cable service. I want to see Transcendence, too. It sounds interesting.
    It depends on what kind of movie it is.
    If you see an IMAX 3D picture, yeah, it can run you $17-20 depending on what city you're in and what theater you go to.

My normal ticket price for a regular movie is somewhere around $10-11, I think. I think in the more rural place I lived a few years back, it was $8.50-9.

Saturday morning movies are a great deal, I think I get into a regular movie for $6 or so and one of the high-end movies for only $10-11.

I usually RedBox stuff for $1 a movie, or I find it streaming on a few sites I trust even if the quality isn't as great as I'd like. I've also got Netflix streaming.

My TV/3D player has some streaming movie services, but they are typically charging anywhere from $2-6 for a movie that I possibly can get off RedBox for $1. I was looking for a streaming service for just-released movies, do you know of any? That's the only way I'd be willing to pay a stream service $6 for a movie at home.. if it was a picture still in theaters and not on home release. At that price, it's still a discount.

My TV/3D player has some streaming movie services, but they are typically charging anywhere from $2-6 for a movie that I possibly can get off RedBox for $1. I was looking for a streaming service for just-released movies, do you know of any? That's the only way I'd be willing to pay a stream service $6 for a movie at home.. if it was a picture still in theaters and not on home release. At that price, it's still a discount.
    I don't. I only use Comcast (now Xfinity) which does offer some, hang on, be right back . . . I just checked and I don't know why they have a section in the menu that reads 'same day as theater' and yet I don't think it delivers what it claims, unless it's a limited number of movies. (I'm sure they're tired of me calling them up and telling them how they have things categorized isn't logical. *laughs* I bitched at them the other night for having HD movies in the SD category.)

MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp

I saw it last night with some friends. I was actually pleasantly surprised. No, it's not a GREAT movie...but it wasn't what I was expecting and I actually liked the plot twist at the end. Up and until the end though it's pretty predictable.

I'll put the rest of my thoughts into a spoilers tag

"The man who is swimming against the stream knows the strength of it."
    ― Woodrow Wilson