• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Wow, one of the few superhero films that was able to keep me up and watching gleefully (soooooooo much better than Man of Steel.) The message of the movie was also very timely with current cultural influences.

I had a good time watching the action and deciphering the contents of the movie.

Although I don't want to spoil the contents, if others want to get into the discussion, that would be fun.

Has anyone watched it, and what do you think?

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I saw it the other day with my mom (narrowly escaped having to watch God's Not Dead). I liked it and want to see it again in 3D.

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ
I didn't like the first one very much, but I didn't hate it. Is the second one noticeably better?

Stephano

Almöhi
MBTI Type
NFP
When I saw the rating on IMDB (8,3) I was sceptical at first, because I knew parts of the first movie (horrible) and some critics gave it bad reviews. Can someone who has seen the movie give me a brief summary what they personally liked/didn't like? I'm maybe going to see it next week.

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
[MENTION=16320]Stephano[/MENTION] Trying to not spoil anything :\ if it seems vague, well... two points that I sort of already mentioned...

Lots of action. While the original film was set in the WWII period, this one is set more into the present (with some sci-fi elements.) Captain America basically gets thrown into a world that he wasn't accustomed to and in which he and his kin in the 40's "did not" fight for. In the time-frame that he was frozen, until today, so many things have changed (for better or worse.) He ends up needing to fight the system.

But even though there was a lot of action, there are a lot of themes in the movie that are relatable to current events. It is still a good film if you don't like seeing a "hidden" meaning that this film shows. I would assume that a lot of people don't pay too much attention towards the motif of the film anyways. And in some ways, if you do pay attention to it, Captain America ends up critiquing a lot about what has gone about since his absence.

Stephano

Almöhi
MBTI Type
NFP
Sounds not really promising :/ Never mind, I'm going to watch it an then I tell you if I liked it or not. :)

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Sounds not really promising :/ Never mind, I'm going to watch it an then I tell you if I liked it or not. :)

Just watch it, I tend to butcher the synopsis because I'm trying to not say anything that sounds like a hint of a spoiler. XD

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Soooo.... finally came out, and I picked up the 3D bluray for $25 at best buy.

Probably one of the best movies I've seen this year, and a solid steady addition to the action/superhero genre -- not overly deep, but everything was solid, and the action sequences were really great. There were also a lot of great tie-backs to the first movie, which I thought was great.

My one gripe is that I made it until this week without having the identity of the Winter Soldier spoiled for me, and then I was reading an article not about the movie and someone spoiled it. WTF is wrong with people? it wasn't even a necessary spoiler. I know the movie's been out six months, but if it's not essential to the article, why talk about it since this was the "home release" week and people who missed it in the theater would be watching it now? I found the "reveal" moment to be really powerful despite having an idea, and I think if I hadn't known, i would have just been absolutely floored.

(I ran across another article talking about Haley Joel Osmant this week, where the writer spoiled the big secret of Sixth Sense in a completely offhand, irrelevant way, that had nothing to do with the gist of the article.)

But hey, though, way to work an iteration of
into this, another cool bit.

Still think the action sequences (good old real action sequences) were great -- i could follow them with the eye and track what was happening, and some of the moves were just stunning. And there was enough humor in the script to keep it afloat without losing Cap's solemnity, and maybe that's another point, I think they've done a really nice job with bringing a character with strong idealism like Cap to the screen while still making him likable in this day and age. Just like casting RDJr as Tony Stark, Chris Evans really pulls off CA.

Redford was also solid.

it seems like a lot of superhero movies this last year have been about destruction and recreation, and I think this was one of the better-handled ones. (Iron Man 3 really did little for me, and I still haven't watched Thor 2.) It also had a lot of tie-in with shows like "Person of Interest," for example, and the last 15 years of themes of American history / current events.

Big thumbs up on this, I've already watched the action sequences twice.