• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

I need new reading material...

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Any ideas/suggestions? Thanks!

(Don't worry - I am open to almost any genre, except romance BLEH!)

I appreciate it!

Aerithria

Senior Thread Terminator
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman
Wizard's First Rule by Terry Goodkind
Cell by Stephen King
The Dream Cycle of H. P. Lovecraft

That's all the specific books I can think of this moment. Most of my fiction books tend to come from either the fantasy or the horror sections of the bookstore, so my recommendations are slightly limited. The Terry Goodkind book I've recommended is the first of a (rather long) series, so if you don't want to start a series I'd stay away from that. As for authors, Neil Gaiman's works are generally enjoyable (including his Sandman series if you're into comic books), as are Stephen King's if you like nontraditional (for the most part) horror. Uh, David and Leigh Eddings, Dean Koontz, Anthony O'Neill and Gregory Maguire are also fairly decent authors.

If you're looking for non-fiction books as well, there's more I can recommend, though I get the impression that you're inquiring about fiction books.

Jae Rae

Free-Rangin' Librarian
MBTI Type
INFJ
Barbara Kingsolver - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle. Nonfiction, about her family's attempt to eat seasonal food they grew themselves or bought locally. Excellent study of how much of our food is grown, shipped, engineered, etc. With recipes.

Last edited:

Falcarius

The Unwieldy Clawed One
MBTI Type
COOL
'Things Fall Apart' by Chinua Achebe
'The Day of the Triffids' by John Wyndham
'One Hundred Years of Solitude' by Gabriel Garcia Marquez

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Everyone who understands English should read A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole.

alicia91

A couple that I've read lately which I enjoyed:

A New Earth - Eckart Tolle
The Kite Runner - Khaled Hosseini
Notes on a Scandal - Zoe Heller

MBTI Type
INxJ
The Brothers Karamazov - Fyodor Dostoevsky
Thus Spoke Zarathustra - Friedrich Nietzsche

ixquic_creation

MBTI Type
INFP
Stranger in a Strange Land - Robert A Heinlein
We - Yevgeny Zamyatin
Middlesex - Jeffery Euginides
Accelerando - Charles Straus

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
A Confederacy of Dunces should be used to teach people how to speak English, even.

That would be bad. People would be speaking fat-man Middle English, and it would makes things very difficult (although hilarious).