• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Are sad songs better?

Vasilisa

Symbolic Herald
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Are sad songs better?
The charts suggest we are programmed to prefer melancholy music. But is this really the case?
Greg Kot
25 March 2014
BBC Culture | http://www.bbc.com/

Excerpt:
Pharrell Williams’ Happy is shaping up as the year’s mega hit: it has already risen to number one in 23 countries. But it’s also something of a rarity – a critically acclaimed song that is light, catchy and seemingly without ‘deep’ meaning.

Consider that of the nine best-selling songs of all time, most brim with melancholy, if not sadness and despair. Bing Crosby’s White Christmas, Elton John’s Candle in the Wind, Whitney Houston’s I Will Always Love You, Celine Dion’s My Heart Will Go On,– to paraphrase Elton, sad songs not only say so much, they sell really, really well. But do listeners really prefer melancholy music, and if so why? Is Williams’ hit destined to lose its lustre when, years from now, we look back on the songs that mattered most in 2014?

The charts suggest we love tunes that rip our hearts out. The last blockbuster song that found success across genre, gender and generation the way Happy has was Adele’s 2010 tearjerker Rolling in the Deep. Williams’ song doesn’t aspire to that sort of gravitas. Its lyrics verge on throwaway simplicity; it’s built on a command to “clap along if you feel like a room without a roof.”

The lingering impression left by songs that put a smile on our faces is that they lack longevity. The past hit most immediately suggestive of Williams’ smash − Bobby McFerrin’s Don’t Worry Be Happy − might have sounded good in 1988, when it went to number one in the US and won three Grammy Awards, but it hasn’t aged well because it feels dated and contrived. Will Pharrell’s song suffer the same fate?

Pleasure pain principle

A study published last year in Frontiers of Psychology suggests it might. The researchers found that that sad music has a counterintuitive appeal – it actually makes people feel better. Sad songs allow listeners to experience indirectly the emotions expressed in the lyrics and implied by the (usually) minor-key melodies. The sadness may not directly reflect the listener’s own experiences, but it triggers chemicals in our brain that can produce a cathartic response: tears, chills, an elevated heartbeat. This is not an unpleasant feeling, and may explain why listeners are inclined to buy sad songs and why artists want to write or sing them.

While touring last year, Emmylou Harris would introduce her version of Felice and Boudleaux Bryant’s heart-breaking Love Hurts by saying that it began “my love affair with really dark depressing sad songs that have no hope.” Richard Thompson has described his penchant for writing downbeat songs by saying it’s actually pleasurable: “It's fun to sing sad songs. And it's fun to listen to sad songs. Enjoyable. Satisfying.”

Kelly Hogan titled her 2012 album I Like to Keep Myself in Pain. On the title track, Robyn Hitchcock’s lyrics assert that suffering is actually a heightened form of consciousness. Hogan explained: “Sometimes it’s just a great feeling to wallow in that because you do feel more alive.” How else to explain the decades-long popularity of blues, gospel and country, genres built on songs about hardship and heartbreak.

More than a feeling

But is it really sadness that listeners are connecting with or something more complicated? A recent study at McGill University found that emotionally intense music – whether sad or happy - stimulates the pleasure centre in the brain, in the same way that food, sex and drugs do. The study found that listeners respond most forcefully to emotional complexity, a depth of feeling enhanced by clever arrangements that kept throwing out surprises, and the back-and-forth between tension and release.

< full story >

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
That's interesting, personally I think it reflects an opinion of many that optimism is usually a desperate attempt to lighten an overwhelming load which is in favour of the negative.

Although it could be also said that we just want something to represent different degrees of up or down. Without relying on one alone.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Oh, Happy is a cute song, but even if the article claims that it's 'critically acclaimed', it's well produced bubble gum music. I feel like this article takes a very simplistic view of music, probably because it's viewing a 'successful' song by chart appeal, and happiness and sadness by lyrics alone, which I can't really get behind. Music is more complex than that.

Like for instance the melody for 'Happy' is in a minor key which doesn't convey and is not associated with a 'happy tune', and Pharrell's voice is snappy, but it has a kind of a pleading quality to it. It's that hint of sadness that amps up the song.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
emotional depth is important, whether happiness or sadness (or any other emotion). it's when a song seems shallow that i'm less attracted to it. unfortunately a lot of 'happy' songs are a little too "my life's great! i have good friends! my lover loves me!" while sad songs seem to dive a little deeper into that emotion.

as a person who uses music kind of like a drug, i need a variety. i also need it to be 'real' in order to benefit from it. 'real' = depth often times (or rawness). and i find a lot of my favorite music is sad. even more of it is a little bit of both. emotionally complex.

but then i think of popular country. plenty of sad themes. can't get into it. maybe those are examples of less deep or raw sad songs, from my pov at least. different things resonate with different people.

N

ndovjtjcaqidthi

Any emotion is good, as long as its not affected. But generally I don't like music that's angry, or hateful. I do like sad themes, though, I can relate to that. I also like uplifting themes, and songs about love.

Anything real.

I live under a rock and hadn't heard Happy before this article mentioned it ... but damn, it's catchy. So thanks for that.

I sometimes go on depressing music binges and they get me down and fuck with my dreams and I still can't stop until I snap out of my funk. I don't find sad music cathartic, to say the truth. More often, it makes me feel emotions that I don't naturally have but because they're beautiful and artistic in their melancholy, I tend to dwell on them ... but it's a bummer feeling down all the time.

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I like both happy and sad songs equally.

I might lean toward sad more tho if I had to pick.

Nicodemus

Gottfried von Strassburg already knew:

der inneclîche minnen muot
sô der in sîner senegluot
ie mêre und mêre brinnet,
sô er ie sêrer minnet.
diz leit ist liebes alse vol,
daz übel daz tuot sô herzewol,
daz es kein edele herze enbirt,
sît ez hie von geherzet wirt.

Hive

hypersane
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I was about to say no, but when I listened to the songs I was gonna provide as counterexamples, I realized there's definetely some elements of sadness in there:

Those were the first two songs that came to mind when I thought of uplifting music. I think they both have a very distinct bittersweet quality, reflected in both the music and the lyrics.

But... Thinking about it even more I realized I'm just as affected by the most jubilant, joyous shit:

So I guess I'll concede that it's the emotional intensity/personal resonance of the song that makes it hit home. Writing a sad song seems to be a shortcut, though. The overwhelming majority of the music in my library (I'll bet about 80% or more out of a total 1183 albums) is written in a minor key, which has to be telling of something.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
coming in at the top of the list as far as this topic is concerned are sad songs that sound happy. gets me every time.

á´…eparted

passages
As the article suggests, it's more about music that is emotionally intense, and less about whether or not it is happy or sad. Granted, there are some folks who prefer lighter music, but it seems like the majority preferrs music that has a higher emotional weight to it. Which makes sense, that generally imparts more meaning. The human brain tends to remember bad things better than good things though, so it might make sense that there could be a slight tilt towards music that's a bit more melancholy since it would have a stronger affinity towards memory.

I can say for myself anyway, that I do prefer music that's rather melancholy, or emotionally intense. Even if the song is passive on the surface, it holds weight, and it's often linked to important memories in my life. I can very often dislike "happy light music". It sounds so hollow, rose colored, and vacuoous. This is a major reason why I HATE music like Jack Johnson. It's like nails on a chalkboard to me.

SD45T-2

Senior Jr.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
The charts suggest we are programmed to prefer melancholy music. But is this really the case?But is it really sadness that listeners are connecting with or something more complicated? A recent study at McGill University found that emotionally intense music – whether sad or happy - stimulates the pleasure centre in the brain, in the same way that food, sex and drugs do. The study found that listeners respond most forcefully to emotional complexity, a depth of feeling enhanced by clever arrangements that kept throwing out surprises, and the back-and-forth between tension and release.

< full story >

xisnotx

Permabanned
I didn't really like that happy song. Like said, it was too simple.

I grew up with music that was...uh...not happy or sad. But...about "the struggle of life". The "trap" as it's called. People call it trap music. Or hyphy music. Or even crunk. That type of music...it's what I enjoy.

It's more about working hard, and playing as hard as you work...

Opal

MBTI Type
ENTP
I only know a handful of bands that I feel produce tasteful, complex, happy music. A lot of happy music could be considered kitsch, in that it is aesthetic and placating and does nothing to challenge current modes of thought.

I don't really consider societal impact, I'm just regurgitating art history terms. I find many overwhelmingly dark sentiments cathartic, like the sun rising over a candle (if light were negative).

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

OMG never listened to the words. :shock: wowzerz.

Those damn oldies songs get me every time!!!! Almost every 50's or 60's song. -_-

I used to love these two songs as a kid. Then I grew up, and finally listened to the words. :shocking: My optimism shatters :cry: every time I find out lyrics like these:

I still dance to this shit tho. Don't care. :mellow:

Cecilia's a good for nothin b**ch! :dry:

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w5
Some of my favorite songs are sad because of depth of emotion, but I like a lot of light hearted songs as well. I don't really care for songs that try to make you happy or sad for the sake of the emotion. I just want to feel what they're really feeling and see if I can relate.

L

LadyLazarus

IMO, yes, definitely. I can't stand that upbeat shit unless I'm in a really good mood, other than that it usually irritates me.

Luv Deluxe

Step into my office.
MBTI Type
NiSe
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I had a coworker who loved sad songs (musically and lyrically), and he would playfully try to get me to listen to them since he knew that I disliked them so much. He'd also tease me, insisting that the stuff I often listen to is too "clubby." Are so-called happier tracks automatically shallow, less memorable for most?

The truth is, I absorb the mood of whatever I'm listening to, and it can affect me very deeply. If I happen to turn on the radio during a five-block trip to a stadium someplace, and the first thing I hear are slow, mournful notes played on piano...I'm done. The channel will be changed immediately.

I prefer hard-charging, intense music, whether happy or not. I tend to learn toward music that makes me feel energized (and/or sexual), so even the melancholic tracks in my library generally are not slow, plodding ballads.

Having said all of that, I find "Happy" by Pharrell Williams to be lacking that emotional intensity - and the music, while upbeat, is pretty monotonous and unmoving.

My idea of good broody music:

An example of an upbeat, seemingly shallow track that I love to pieces, regardless:

As for music that makes me want to stab myself in the face, it's so intolerably miserable? Try "Say Something," by A Great Big World.