First 123 Last

Entertaining Cracker five sounds's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    729 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

coming in at the top of the list as far as this topic is concerned are sad songs that sound happy. gets me every time.

You hem me in -- behind and before;
    you have laid your hand upon me.
    Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

As the article suggests, it's more about music that is emotionally intense, and less about whether or not it is happy or sad. Granted, there are some folks who prefer lighter music, but it seems like the majority preferrs music that has a higher emotional weight to it. Which makes sense, that generally imparts more meaning. The human brain tends to remember bad things better than good things though, so it might make sense that there could be a slight tilt towards music that's a bit more melancholy since it would have a stronger affinity towards memory.

I can say for myself anyway, that I do prefer music that's rather melancholy, or emotionally intense. Even if the song is passive on the surface, it holds weight, and it's often linked to important memories in my life. I can very often dislike "happy light music". It sounds so hollow, rose colored, and vacuoous. This is a major reason why I HATE music like Jack Johnson. It's like nails on a chalkboard to me.

MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Vasilisa View Post
    The charts suggest we are programmed to prefer melancholy music. But is this really the case?But is it really sadness that listeners are connecting with or something more complicated? A recent study at McGill University found that emotionally intense music – whether sad or happy - stimulates the pleasure centre in the brain, in the same way that food, sex and drugs do. The study found that listeners respond most forcefully to emotional complexity, a depth of feeling enhanced by clever arrangements that kept throwing out surprises, and the back-and-forth between tension and release.

< full story >

1w2-6w5-3w2 so/sp

"I took one those personality tests. It came back negative." - Dan Mintz

Permabanned

I didn't really like that happy song. Like said, it was too simple.

I grew up with music that was...uh...not happy or sad. But...about "the struggle of life". The "trap" as it's called. People call it trap music. Or hyphy music. Or even crunk. That type of music...it's what I enjoy.

It's more about working hard, and playing as hard as you work...

MBTI
    ENTP

I only know a handful of bands that I feel produce tasteful, complex, happy music. A lot of happy music could be considered kitsch, in that it is aesthetic and placating and does nothing to challenge current modes of thought.

I don't really consider societal impact, I'm just regurgitating art history terms. I find many overwhelmingly dark sentiments cathartic, like the sun rising over a candle (if light were negative).

Unapologetic being Evolving Transparency's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ESI Fi

Quote Originally Posted by five sounds View Post
    OMG never listened to the words. wowzerz.

Those damn oldies songs get me every time!!!! Almost every 50's or 60's song. -_-

I used to love these two songs as a kid. Then I grew up, and finally listened to the words. My optimism shatters every time I find out lyrics like these:

I still dance to this shit tho. Don't care.

Cecilia's a good for nothin b**ch!
    "Once the game is over, the Pawn and the King go back into the same box"

Freedom isn't free.
    "Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear." ~ Orwell
    I'm that person that embodies pretty much everything that you hate. Might as well get used to it.
    Unapologetically bonding in an uninhibited, propelled manner
    10w12

MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ESI Fi

Some of my favorite songs are sad because of depth of emotion, but I like a lot of light hearted songs as well. I don't really care for songs that try to make you happy or sad for the sake of the emotion. I just want to feel what they're really feeling and see if I can relate.

LadyLazarus

IMO, yes, definitely. I can't stand that upbeat shit unless I'm in a really good mood, other than that it usually irritates me.

Step into my office. Luv Deluxe's Avatar
    MBTI
    NiSe
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/sp

I had a coworker who loved sad songs (musically and lyrically), and he would playfully try to get me to listen to them since he knew that I disliked them so much. He'd also tease me, insisting that the stuff I often listen to is too "clubby." Are so-called happier tracks automatically shallow, less memorable for most?

The truth is, I absorb the mood of whatever I'm listening to, and it can affect me very deeply. If I happen to turn on the radio during a five-block trip to a stadium someplace, and the first thing I hear are slow, mournful notes played on piano...I'm done. The channel will be changed immediately.

I prefer hard-charging, intense music, whether happy or not. I tend to learn toward music that makes me feel energized (and/or sexual), so even the melancholic tracks in my library generally are not slow, plodding ballads.

Having said all of that, I find "Happy" by Pharrell Williams to be lacking that emotional intensity - and the music, while upbeat, is pretty monotonous and unmoving.

My idea of good broody music:

An example of an upbeat, seemingly shallow track that I love to pieces, regardless:

As for music that makes me want to stab myself in the face, it's so intolerably miserable? Try "Say Something," by A Great Big World.
    AMERICAN TRASH
    Ni > Se > Fe > Ti
    7w6 cp
    so SX it hurts
    Sanguine/Choleric
    Chaotic Good

~ Gryffindor on the streets, Slytherin in the sheets ~

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by AntiheroComplex View Post
    I prefer hard-charging, intense music, whether happy or not.
    1w2-6w5-3w2 so/sp

"I took one those personality tests. It came back negative." - Dan Mintz