123 Last

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Default Polarizing TV characters

You know -- ones where half the fans love them (or at least "get" them), and the other half of the fanbase despises them?

Making a list right now on IMDB, but am curious as to ones I might have forgotten and what suggestions people might have.

Currently I've thought of:

1. Skyler White (BB)
    2. Michael Dawson (Lost)
    3. Andrea (TWD)

Some of the controversy has been pretty heated. I think Anna Gunn (Skyler) has actually gotten death threats (?).
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Zoe Barnes from "House of Cards" came to mind right away. Although I think she started to make more sense to the general viewership, midway through the first season.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    You know -- ones where half the fans love them (or at least "get" them), and the other half of the fanbase despises them?

Making a list right now on IMDB, but am curious as to ones I might have forgotten and what suggestions people might have.

Currently I've thought of:

1. Skyler White (BB)
    2. Michael Dawson (Lost)
    3. Andrea (TWD)

Some of the controversy has been pretty heated. I think Anna Gunn (Skyler) has actually gotten death threats (?).
    I put Skyler in the same boat as Lorie from Walking Dead (although I don't watching that show anymore).

Hate em both.

Zoe Barnes on the other hand is awesome (if a little Machiavellian when it comes to taking your clothes off to get what you want).

Shay from Game of Thrones has kind of always been annoying.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Yeah, I'm not sure if Zoe would be considered "controversial" that way. She seemed to be a fan fave overall and everyone was shocked at the trip she took.

hahaha

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Yeah, I'm not sure if Zoe would be considered "controversial" that way. She seemed to be a fan fave overall and everyone was shocked at the trip she took.

hahaha
    Really? Clearly I need to read more about the "general" opinions on these folks. I just know that my friends who watched the show all really hated her initially.

@ bolded

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    Really? Clearly I need to read more about the "general" opinions on these folks. I just know that my friends who watched the show all really hated her initially.

@ bolded
    Hey, don't listen to me. If you think I'm wrong, feel free to challenge. I really want to know what the overall consensus is. In fact, the thread can just stand on its own. I just am trying to wrack my brain in order to create my own personal list elsewhere too, so maybe people here will think of some I forgot.

I liked her and saw her as flexible and ambitious, and she was always more being used by Frank than she was using him IMO. But maybe others differ on that.

EDIT: Another great twitter quote:

Really jarring to see Zoe Barnes using iOS 6. Frank should push her to update.

— Sam Faulkner Biddle (@samfbiddle)

Oh, I had forgotten to list Diane Chambers from "Cheers." I liked her, but she was also very hateable. It was nice to see her in the finale, yet people were probably relieved about how things ended with her and Sam.

your resident asshole

Peggy Hill from King of the Hill
    Likes chickpea liked this post

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Hey, don't listen to me. If you think I'm wrong, feel free to challenge. I really want to know what the overall consensus is. In fact, the thread can just stand on its own. I just am trying to wrack my brain in order to create my own personal list elsewhere too, so maybe people here will think of some I forgot.
    Well I can only speak for the people I know. General consensus in my friend group was that she was incredibly annoying and problematic initially, but as the show went on she was revealed to be a reliably pragmatic character, great at using the system to get things done in the quickest and most direct way possible. I thought she was pretty interesting once the show started exploring that depth.

(p.s. I'm still not sure what the significance of her gross apartment was supposed to be?)

Megan Mullally's character on "Will & Grace" is another one -- never watched that show, but people seemed to think she was either awesome or horrendously annoying.

And, of course, Ana Lucia from "Lost". I never understood why so many people hated her.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    Zoe Barnes from "House of Cards" came to mind right away. Although I think she started to make more sense to the general viewership, midway through the first season.
    I'm definitely with you on this one. I spent most of the 1st season saying "ugh! i do not like that girl!" and was maybe a little excited when her ending happened. she just gave me secondhand embarrassment to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGeek View Post
    Peggy Hill from King of the Hill
    Hahaha yes. I simultaneously love and hate Peggy.

How about Betty Draper from Mad Men. She's very widely hated but I actually think she's one of the most interesting/relatable characters. I fucking hate Joan on the other hand. And Don.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ESI Fi

Quote Originally Posted by chana View Post
    How about Betty Draper from Mad Men. She's very widely hated but I actually think she's one of the most interesting/relatable characters. I fucking hate Joan on the other hand. And Don.

I can't marathon the show, for all its quality, because of those two. Small doses. Betty I haven't seen the problem with, either.
    4w3 6w5 1w2 sx/sp ISFP

RLOAX (don't do it)
    Melancholic Hufflepuff
    A lonely island where only what is permitted to move moves, becomes an ideal. Jung

Kiss Kiss [johari] Bang Bang [nohari]