• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Polarizing TV characters

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Also, Neelix from Star Trek Voyager. Come to think of it, just about every character on Voyager.

LOL! Thanks (not) for the memories!

Man, I wanted to beam Neelix through the shields more than Wesley Crusher.

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Neelix as well. I loved the character of Diane Chambers and I always thought that Shelley Long didn't get the credit she deserved. Truly superb actress. Also, thank god they finally killed Andrea on TWD.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Neelix as well. I loved the character of Diane Chambers and I always thought that Shelley Long didn't get the credit she deserved. Truly superb actress.

I loved Diane too, and Shelley Long nailed it, but I can understand why she pissed off some people.

Also, thank god they finally killed Andrea on TWD.
MONSTER!!!

... honestly, after the shitty stretch of Season 3, it was a mercy killing. It would have been more glorious and respectful to run her into the ground at the end of Season 2 -- she runs for hours, 30 miles, and finally collapses under the herd. A glorious ending!

S

Stansmith

Well, her affair with Ted aside, I don't see why anyone would expect someone in Skylar's position to react differently.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
House is probably too popular to be polarizing, but I just started watching this on Netflix (I think they have all the episodes now)... and man, he pisses me off half the time.

I mean, I laugh at a lot of what he says, and he's smart and amusing; but in terms of how he interacts with the patients, I just want to smack the guy... I actually physically bristle up with some of his comments, even if I can see a method to some of them.

But I'm pretty sure that's the intent, as Robert Sean Leonard's character (his closest friend, I guess) came right out and called him an ass in episode #2 and has been in his face a few times.

Man.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
House is probably too popular to be polarizing, but I just started watching this on Netflix (I think they have all the episodes now)... and man, he pisses me off half the time.

I mean, I laugh at a lot of what he says, and he's smart and amusing; but in terms of how he interacts with the patients, I just want to smack the guy... I actually physically bristle up with some of his comments, even if I can see a method to some of them.

But I'm pretty sure that's the intent, as Robert Sean Leonard's character (his closest friend, I guess) came right out and called him an ass in episode #2 and has been in his face a few times.

Man.
Yeah I don't know if he's polarizing, because everyone loves him and hates him at the same time. :laugh:

Though everyone I know who has any kind of connection to medicine falls much closer to the "hate" side.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah I don't know if he's polarizing, because everyone loves him and hates him at the same time. :laugh:

Though everyone I know who has any kind of connection to medicine falls much closer to the "hate" side.

Well, yeah. It's not just his demeanor, it's the show format too -- he just "tries" things that seem intuitively possible but are severe in nature and so far he's almost killed patients in each episode. Then eventually he gets it right.

I do like the twists and turns but they might become formulaic. Episode #3 with the kid almost dying after having sex with his girlfriend had one of those twist-twist-twist back to an earlier twist twists. I'm getting mental whiplash.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Trying to think of more... Lumen from "Dexter" caused a bit of controversy. But probably not a whole lot more than the season as a whole.

Also: forgot to reply to this!
Well, yeah. It's not just his demeanor, it's the show format too -- he just "tries" things that seem intuitively possible but are severe in nature and so far he's almost killed patients in each episode. Then eventually he gets it right.
It's not spoiling anything to say that the show gets REALLY formulaic after a while, because it just keeps going on like that. Thankfully, after a few seasons, the interpersonal drama between doctors -- plus House's personal drama -- are a good balance. Plus, IMO, the series' best episodes are the ones that break away from the formula. The post-Super Bowl episode with Mos Def is a good example, and is in my top 5... forget which season that was, though.
I do like the twists and turns but they might become formulaic. Episode #3 with the kid almost dying after having sex with his girlfriend had one of those twist-twist-twist back to an earlier twist twists. I'm getting mental whiplash.
They actually keep that pretty fresh, for the most part. Although my friends and I had a running joke for a few years relating to the fact that someone almost always faints right before the opening credits. "Who's gonna faint in this one? That guy? Maybe the girl!"

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Forgot to reply to this!

It's not spoiling anything to say that the show gets REALLY formulaic after a while, because it just keeps going on like that forever. Thankfully, after a few seasons, the interpersonal drama between doctors -- plus House's personal drama -- are a good balance for that. Plus, IMO, the series' best episodes are the ones that break away from that. The post-Super Bowl episode with Mos Def is in my top 5... forget which season that was in though.

is that the episode credited with the highest # of viewers? I know that episode hit 29 million viewers, and it aired right after the superbowl one year.

29 million. That's just incredible. Some series that stay on for awhile only hit 5-8 million viewers, peak. Maybe 10 million, to justify making the cut.

I don't know if I'll watch the whole series. It's a lot of episodes, and while it's kind of amusing, to watch them all without stronger dramatic arcs might be a bit much.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
is that the episode credited with the highest # of viewers? I know that episode hit 29 million viewers, and it aired right after the superbowl one year.
No, that's not it -- although I really liked that one too. I just looked it up -- it was in season 5. Episode was called "Locked In". I guess I was wrong about it being after the Super Bowl. :/
I don't know if I'll watch the whole series. It's a lot of episodes, and while it's kind of amusing, to watch them all without stronger dramatic arcs might be a bit much.
There are some GREAT dramatic arcs, though. Most of my favorites are in the middle of the series, I think? Might be worth searching them out and only watching particular seasons. In fact, I don't think you'd miss much if you skipped the first two seasons. (I was never a fan of his ex-wife.)

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
No, that's not it -- although I really liked that one too. I just looked it up -- it was in season 5. Episode was called "Locked In". I guess I was wrong about it being after the Super Bowl. :/

There are some GREAT dramatic arcs, though. Most of my favorites are in the middle of the series, I think? Might be worth searching them out and only watching particular seasons. In fact, I don't think you'd miss much if you skipped the first two seasons. (I was never a fan of his ex-wife.)

Yeah, if I can pinpoint the arcs, I could just watch those. Most of the rest seems same-old.

Oh, and I kept thinking I knew the young female doc starting on his team... it's just her hair style and color is a lot different on "Once Upon a Time," but I eventually figured it out. :)

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I was really surprised reading about Six Feet Under online and learning that not everyone thought Brenda was the fucking worst. Nate too. All the SFU characters are pretty polarizing actually.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I was really surprised reading about Six Feet Under online and learning that not everyone thought Brenda was the fucking worst. Nate too. All the SFU characters are pretty polarizing actually.
I keep meaning to watch that... My friends who've seen it keep telling me I'd really like it. I've been so caught up in my political shows though. (May I repeat: Fitz from "Scandal" is THE WORST.)

Is it on Netflix? / Is it worth it despite everyone being annoying?

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I keep meaning to watch that... My friends who've seen it keep telling me I'd really like it. I've been so caught up in my political shows though. (May I repeat: Fitz from "Scandal" is THE WORST.)

Is it on Netflix? / Is it worth it despite everyone being annoying?

Yeah it's still a really great show, just full of deeply fucked up characters lol. It has the best finale of any show I've ever seen. It's probably not on Netflix, but it's on HBO Go if you can find someone's account to use.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Yeah it's still a really great show, just full of deeply fucked up characters lol. It has the best finale of any show I've ever seen. It's probably not on Netflix, but it's on HBO Go if you can find someone's account to use.
Hm. I was meaning to do that anyway, since I've been wanting to watch True Detective as well.
:burns: Excellent.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I actually included Nate on my personal list, although I don't think I mentioned him here.

He starts out as a decent-seeming guy, very likeable... but then his character arc (where he has typically been "nice" and ends up being the stable one and takes responsibility for everything) involves a huge shift of embracing his shadow side. I think this is necessary for him to empower himself as a maturing adult and become effectual, but Nate never really gets to the end of that period where he can merge his two sides; by the time we leave him at the end of the series, we only ever saw him in that dark, negative, self-absorbed end of things, and he even creates some trauma in other characters. I understand Nate and where he was... but I did not like him much. His negatively disturbed me, and I'm not normally disturbed... it was just so pervasive.

Brenda was a love/hate character for awhile and came to my mind too; I just feel like by series' end, she had pulled out of it and was more likable than not. It's like she does all her crazy and self-centered crazy crap early on, and then slowly climbs out of it and becomes more adjusted. I was left with more positive feelings towards her than towards Nate. I also thought Rachel Griffiths nailed that performance; that was such a hard character to play, to somehow generate a connection while being so unstable and frustrating at times.

Yeah, I have them all on DVD... I loved the series so much, I bought them cheap on eBay or Amazon or wherever I could find them for a low price. Occasionally Best Buy will run in-store sales on them.

And yes, I still have to give the finale my thumbs up as likely the best 15 minute series end I've seen. The Breaking Bad finale is right up there, it's SOOO close... but the last bit with Claire driving off, Nate falling behind in the sideview, and.... I cry every time I see it, and I've seen it at least 20 times!

Hm. I was meaning to do that anyway, since I've been wanting to watch True Detective as well.

True Detective is only 8 episodes. Maybe that will be easier to start with... or maybe you should watch two seasons of SFU and then break it up with Season 1 TD?

(SFU cracks me, I keep thinking "Just Six The Feet Under!" as an expletive when I see the acronym.)

I mean, Lili Taylor even shows up for a season or so -- she's just so great. And Jeremy Sisto, Ed Bagley Jr, Patricia Clarkson, Kathy Bates, James Cromwell, Illeana Douglas, Chris Messina. Even Rainn Wilson shows up for an episode or two, I think.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
True Detective is only 8 episodes. Maybe that will be easier to start with... or maybe you should watch two seasons of SFU and then break it up with Season 1 TD?

(SFU cracks me, I keep thinking "Just Six The Feet Under!" as an expletive when I see the acronym.)

I mean, Lili Taylor even shows up for a season or so -- she's just so great. And Jeremy Sisto, Ed Bagley Jr, Patricia Clarkson, Kathy Bates, James Cromwell, Illeana Douglas, Chris Messina. Even Rainn Wilson shows up for an episode or two, I think.
Preachin' to the choir on this one. I'm just waiting for someone to donate a bit of their HBO GO account to a murder mystery fan in need. :cheese:

(LOL @ "six the feet under"!!)

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

true detective was awesome. me and my bf watched the whole season in a day, he wouldn't even pause it while i showered.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
sookie for true blood...man she's annoying.