User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Eilonwy View Post
    Peter Dinklage@Mane.
    FYP.
    To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

It's just a genuinely good story. The books are just enjoyable. They're long winded, and sometimes go on and on forever.

But that's because he's building a whole, detailed world.. There's a lot of material there, just like LotR. The good thing is, they have plenty of action and give you a small basis to start with, and expand the world as needed. You can salivate over luxurious meals they're eating, or frown at how disgusting and real the medieval poor sections of a district are. You fear for the lives of characters, and it really is a strong emotional journey. There's a character in that book for everyone--and many of the principles, and morals apply to modern day life. The back stabbing, the fact that some people are just bad people and keep getting rewarded for it.. the fact that justice shines through sometimes.. that karma may exist--or not.. that bad things happen to good people. The mysteries and puzzles to solve, the theories you conjure trying to make sense of events--and by the time you get an answer, it feels like it's far in the past, and there's more mysteries to unravel. It's a strong story.

And the show does not do such a bad job of summarizing thousands of pages and man hours into bigger-than-life feeling, believable scenes and settings. Seeing characters come to life, and watching them walk and talk.. The series is just far more enjoyable to watch after the books have been read. But it isn't at all unpleasant for those unwilling to read. You get the jist of things, and you can have nerdy book-loving friends fill in those gaps for you otherwise.

There's so many nerdy things you can indulge in. You can nerd out to the cookbooks and medieval-centered dining. The costumes. The principles and morals of different houses and characters. You can gossip about what you think will happen to x or y character or house. Who will be in the throne next. It's easy conversation starters for socializing, and can become indulging-ly deep without fearing hurting people's personal morals or opinions because the morals are that of another world's entirely. There's magic in there for magic lovers, and theres hard core realism for those that like no safety nets.

I don't think the actors or the producers thought it was going to get so big. I watched an interview where they made a mention "Look, this isn't really something that gets you emmys or anything.." but it exploded. The advertisements are really awesome--and the attention to detail they put into things is really important. There are no lame "printed to look like x" costumes. There's a lot of effort there--and it makes a quality product. The actors are good at what they do.

There are some downsides--it's involved.. and clearly so. So if you aren't a huge fan, yeah, it'll seem a little slow paced and boring to you. It's a little difficult to get the characters straight because, let's face it, they have to cram thousands of pages into hour-long episodes, so if you're a casual watcher and not really paying attention you can get lost in the plots and who is who character wise. It is gore-y and dramatic.. no one, not one character, is safe from death. That's a well known fact even if you never hear a single spoiler ever.

And, honestly, the series is only like.. 3 seasons in, with the 4th just premiering yesterday. So, there isn't a ton of information to catch up on. It's comparable to other series lengths that don't have all of the hype this show does.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by digesthisickness View Post
    Okay, I've seen it mentioned a lot, but haven't checked it out. I'm open to hearing pros/cons to help me decide whether I should give it a chance. Thanks!
    My buddy Ben Wyatt explains it well:

LadyLazarus

Daenerys Targaryen, that's why.

Quote Originally Posted by LadyLazarus View Post
    Daenerys Targaryen, that's why.
    Word. Friend of mine said recently that he thought Dany was a poorly-written and boring character because if she had been written as a man, she would be the stock hero character and OP as hell. But he missed her developments as a character entirely, besides which, yeah, a lot of what makes her an interesting character is hella the fact that she's a female doing the things she's doing. It's pointless to picture her character as a male because her character kind of wouldn't exist if she wasn't female. And it's a little like saying, "This story would be so boring--if he had written it differently!" Yeah, that's why he wrote it that way.
    They're running just like you
    For you, and I, wooo
    So people, people, need some good ol' love

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿ digesthisickness's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Whoa. So many great responses. I'll reply as soon as I get done with this work, but please, until then, if you can think of anything else, it's appreciated. BF is INFP and not only reads fantasy novels constantly, but writes, and he was the one that brought it up as a new possible series for us to read and then watch. It's so huge, I wanted honest opinions first to see if it's worth the bother. Thanks all! <3
    ✻ღϠ₡ღ✻
    (¯`✻´¯)
    `*.¸.*'ღϠ₡ღஇڿڰۣ
    •.¸¸. Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒჱܓ. இڿڰۣ.¸¸.இڿڰۣ´¯`·.─♥

Cerebral Artery
    http://www.facebook.com/CerebralArtery

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

So are there any...like battles n' stuff?
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by AffirmitiveAnxiety View Post
    So are there any...like battles n' stuff?
    Shitloads. They don't have the budget to cover them all in the show.

Trust me though, the show is fairly action packed. And not, "the hero shoots five bad guys and goes home with the girl" action.

More like, "one of the main characters introduced in the first episode was just crippled for no greater reason that his captor was a dick".

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

So, Noah has read all of these books and has been bugging me to watch the show with him for forever. I'm not a fantasy fan so I dragged my feet, but eventually I ordered HBO for something else (True Detective) and could put it off no longer. So we started and I was hooked by the end of the first episode. We ended up binge watching the entire first three seasons over the course of a couple of weeks to get caught up for last night's season 4 premiere. OMG it's good. I'm even considering reading the series which would be very unusual for me since I don't usually like fantasy.

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    Shitloads. They don't have the budget to cover them all in the show.

Trust me though, the show is fairly action packed. And not, "the hero shoots five bad guys and goes home with the girl" action.

More like, "one of the main characters introduced in the first episode was just crippled for no greater reason that his captor was a dick".
    I was being a little sarcastic.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.