• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Was Zangief any good?

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Actually, I agree. Mostly because the moves were a lot easier to do on MK. Almost everything was back back or forward forward, none of these impossible reverse half circle forward quarter circle crap that Streetfighter had.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Samurai Showdown was still better than Mortal Kombat. Way better.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I never played Soul Caliber. I hear a lot of good things about that franchise, and I'm interested in playing it... But presently, I think Samurai Showdown 2 was the greatest fighting game ever.

Dragonball Z Hyper Dimension is up there, too... but not as good.

Samurai Showdown > Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, Killer Instinct, Dragonball Z, Tekken... you get the picture.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I never played Soul Caliber. I hear a lot of good things about that franchise, and I'm interested in playing it... But presently, I think Samurai Showdown 2 was the greatest fighting game ever.

Samurai Showdown > Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, Killer Instinct, Dragonball Z, Tekken... you get the picture.

Tekken was okay (a little better than Mortal Kombat).
I liked Virtual Fighter better though (with Sarah, and then that Drunk Fighter guy, he was a hoot!)

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Tekken was okay (a little better than Mortal Kombat).
I liked Virtual Fighter better though (with Sarah, and then that Drunk Fighter guy, he was a hoot!)

Well, I wasn't doing things in order after Samurai Showdown, it was simply > than all of them. I wasn't going to list every fighting game franchise I could think of. :laugh:

Especially with all the ones that aren't worth mentioning. :thumbdown:

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6

Oh damn, yeah I've played Samurai Showdown. Doesn't compare to MK, IMO.

Blood, fatalities and upper cuts through roofs that lead in to hell FTW.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The fatalities were pointless. So were the uppercuts through roofs. It was all purely for show. The actual play style was kind of boring, and the characters were different only because of their move sets, but similar in their personal qualities.

Playing Samurai Showdown was an artform.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
The fatalities were pointless. So were the uppercuts through roofs. It was all purely for show. The actual play style was kind of boring, and the characters were different only because of their move sets, but similar in their personal qualities.

But the show aspect is awesome... Different strokes for different folks, I suppose.

Marvel Vs. Capcom was a highly enjoyable fighting game, IMO.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx

Where's the gag smiley when I need it? ;)

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I wonder if Edahn or Zergling will split this thread, since so much of it has nothing to do with Zangief. :tongue:

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I will if we can't all get back on the topic at hand, which is Zangief's worth as a professional street fighter. Maybe I should start handing out warnings and infractions for all you fuckers who are babbling on about MK and other derails. :azdaja:

P.S. Jennifer's a moderator too.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
I was kinda hoping to get it back to the subject of relating/identifying, in a way that inextricably linked it all to Zangief, just to really give you a headache ;)

p.s. could always just retitle it ;)

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I will if we can't all get back on the topic at hand, which is Zangief's worth as a professional street fighter. Maybe I should start handing out warnings and infractions for all you fuckers who are babbling on about MK and other derails. :azdaja:

P.S. Jennifer's a moderator too.

I'm lazy. Let's just change the subtitle.

Hey, wait, I thought this was in Fluff (!?). Now it's a serious topic? Well, that changes everything!

nomadic

mountain surfing
MBTI Type
enfp
the best guy in the south bay area in the early 90s was this middle eastern guy Moses.

I beat him one second round. muahaha!

a lot of players thought zangief was the only one who can throw. i remember everyone called throwing "Jewing" altho now that i think about it, it just meant "cheap move" lol

but with zangief it was cool. but with other players, a lot of real fights broke out cus someone "cheaped" u at the end... lol

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I was kinda hoping to get it back to the subject of relating/identifying, in a way that inextricably linked it all to Zangief, just to really give you a headache ;)

p.s. could always just retitle it ;)

I'm lazy. Let's just change the subtitle.

Hey, wait, I thought this was in Fluff (!?). Now it's a serious topic? Well, that changes everything!

FOOLS!

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE ZANGIEF!

ZOHAN.jpg

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's funny, but playing fighting games opened up an interesting little window into the world of cognitive functions in action.

Eventaully, I talked to my INTJ brother about why it was that I did so much better than him at fighting games. He said that, in general, he wasn't very good at them, because as he played, he would elaborately plan out a course of action in his head. Of course, in a fighting game, the odds that everything would go as planned for you is extremely low. Secondly, it takes too much mental focus to plan like that, when you need to be paying attention to the present.

I thought this was interesting as I compared it to my own approach. When I play fightings games, I store in my mind a large compilation of principles and guidelines. Something to the effect of "if he does that, I do this", "if my life is in the red, and the timer is low, I'll change to this tactic", "If I'm using this character against that character, don't bother using this move" etc..
It seems that my little formula system is much, much more effective than my brother's system. Probably because it allows me to react the situation at hand. It makes my style flexible and modular.

Now, is this an example of the INTJ thinking process versus the INTP one? Because it really seems like it is.