User Tag List

12311 Last

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

Default Hannibal (TV Series), finally a depiction that lives up to Silence of the Lambs

I don't know if anyone watches this show, but it is, IMO, stupefyingly horrific.

From the eery soundscapes, blue cinema filters, sublime acting, trenchant dialogue, visceral horror tableaus, up-close and-personal human organ and body part food preparation complete with truffle garnishes (using actual pig lung to simulate human lung), and last but not least, Mads Mikkelsen.

Just about every episode, I feel like I am experiencing a nightmare, and often through Will Graham's perceptive.

Bravo.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

It's a pretty wonderful series, mainly because it chose to not try to copy TSotL and just tell the story in its own way, including recasting some characters differently (such as Freddie being female and Crawford not just being black but also have a different personality than in the movie).

Hopkins and Mikkelsen each have their own interpretation of the character, but I think both work excellently. And I totally agree about all the visuals, the stylisms, the editing, and acting. Hugh Dancy is great as Will; I never found the character compelling in the book, but here he makes so much sense. What the editing, visuals, sound, and everything else contributes to is presenting us the subjective view from inside Will's head.

And I think the focus on food as a running motif (and even the episode titles) was genius. It all seems so obvious in hindsight, but well, I can't say enough good about this show.

I was a huge fan of Millennium (with Lance Henricksen) when it came out in the late 90's, but it was flawed in some ways -- mostly where the writers didn't know quite what to do with it -- and it only lasted a few seasons. This show has taken the same kind of unsettling tone and perfected it.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyyukon View Post
    I don't know if anyone watches this show, but it is, IMO, stupefyingly horrific.

From the eery soundscapes, blue cinema filters, sublime acting, trenchant dialogue, visceral horror tableaus, up-close and-personal human organ and body part food preparation complete with truffle garnishes (using actual pig lung to simulate human lung), and last but not least, Mads Mikkelsen.

Just about every episode, I feel like I am experiencing a nightmare, and often through Will Graham's perceptive.

Bravo.

I feel the same way. I'm only in the middle of season one, but I think it would be entertaining for Silence of the Lambs fans and those who haven't seen the movie or read the book. I think if I were to watch this series without any prior knowledge about Hannibal Lector, then the story would become a suspenseful puzzle to be figured out. But as it stands with me, it's a psychological thriller, sprinkled with entertaining headgames. Its only drawback is its level of pretentiousness, and dizzying nightmarishness. Then again, there's no accounting for... taste...

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

Then again, there's no accounting for... taste...
    nyuk nyuk

I think if I were to watch this series without any prior knowledge about Hannibal Lector, then the story would become a suspenseful puzzle to be figured out.
    Wat you mean? Still a puzzle to figure out? As I understand it (and I could be wrong) the TV series has a story arc of it's own, plot wise, unrelated to the plots and stories of the books and movies, though keeping with the mythos.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

Then again, there's no accounting for... taste...
    nyuk nyuk

I think if I were to watch this series without any prior knowledge about Hannibal Lector, then the story would become a suspenseful puzzle to be figured out.
    Wat you mean? Still a puzzle to figure out? As I understand it (and I could be wrong) the TV series has a story arc of it's own, plot wise, unrelated to the plots and stories of the books and movies, though keeping with the mythos.

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyyukon View Post

Hannibal's involvement with the series of murders.

Enneagram

I started it, and it seemed really good, but I lost a little interest at about the 4th episode. Is it worth picking back up?

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Forever_Jung View Post
    I started it, and it seemed really good, but I lost a little interest at about the 4th episode. Is it worth picking back up?
    Well, based on the conversation, pretty much everyone posting in this thread is thinking so.

I don't even remember what happened at Episode #4, we're most of the way through Season #2 now.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Well, based on the conversation, pretty much everyone posting in this thread is thinking so.

I don't even remember what happened at Episode #4, we're most of the way through Season #2 now.
    Yeah, stupid question, given this is a thread for people who obviously think it's worth a person's time. I think I need to go to bed.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

Yeah, stupid question, given this is a thread for people who obviously think it's worth a person's time. I think I need to go to bed.
    Yeeeuuh, buddy. Listen hear, you don't lack Hann-i-bol, you can git out.