• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Hannibal (TV Series), finally a depiction that lives up to Silence of the Lambs

93JC

Bonsoir.

hannibal-s3-mads-mikkelsen-01.jpg

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Is this back?? My DVR didn't pick it up if so.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
CRAP. I thought it was later in the month.

Yeah, it airs Thursdays, started on 6/4. It's probably in my FIOS series backlogs, though.

EDIT: Heh. Neil Marshall is directing episode 8, "The Great Red Dragon." Two guesses what THAT's about... and the first of course doesn't count.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ahhhh... I had forgotten how wonderful the food p0rn was.
Or how delectable this show is.

There's nothing else quite like it, at least not that I've seen.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I watched the first two seasons after a friend kept encouraging me to watch it. I have never felt my gut hurt so much. I only watch it for Will's and Hannibal's relationship on the show though.

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
We all ready to do this??

That time of year again! For hellish, nightmare-scapes, that is.

(fyi, this is from episode 2, season 3, but just short drea-ahem-nightmare sequence/flashback, no spoilers)

Riva

Enneagram
7w8
So far i have beem bored. Will the ratings drop, will they cancel the show?

Perhaps the critics like them.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
NBC already cancelled it.

They are willing to partner with another network.

Riva

Enneagram
7w8
^ This reinstated my former practice of to 'never watch a show until it's over.'

If LOST has taught me anything, it's that great shows can suck great ass.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have two episodes saved, I'll need to watch them this week.

^ This reinstated my former practice of to 'never watch a show until it's over.'

Yes, that might be for the best.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
nooooooooooooooo :( I guess I can't complain, I haven't watched this season yet. I was planning to binge-watch it on demand when I got a free day.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm hoping/expecting cable to pick it up. Biggest issue would simply be the financial return, but it could help flesh out an already decent programming line-up for someone. There's no question that it's a unique show with its own voice, with high production and acting qualities. Fuller already had Season 4 mapped out, so he's keeping a positive relationship with NBC by not dissing them while the producers are searching for new partners.

I'll give NBC credit in the sense that I was shocked this ran on non-cable network for three seasons. It was pushing some boundaries.

NBC's 'Hannibal' Canceled After Three Seasons - The Hollywood Reporter

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Just watched episode s3e2 (and have the others taped), and I'm reminded why I really like this show. I've seen very few things that capture subjective psychology of the characters this well... and to see it on TV versus a movie? (reference "Under the Skin" as one of those movies.)

But at the same time it explains the bad ratings. I like being disturbed, I like knowing not exactly what is real, I like trying to filter through Will's perceptions and see what he is seeing and putting things together, I like things being ambiguous and confusing and unsettling. But TV audiences (especially major networks) just don't really have a high demographic of people like that, I think; it's too art-housey and only a TV niche market at best. Which is why cable might be able to handle the show, if a network can devote proper resources to the project.

Episode 2 was just great. And sad. And hopeful. And disappointing. And pretty brilliant. It really pulled on me mentally and emotionally. We finally get a partial sense of how things went down at the end of Season 2 but... who knows where this is going?

Except to the Tooth Fairy, eventually.

... also, another book character is introduced.

EDIT: Cause for hope? From the wiki:
"On June 22, 2015, NBC cancelled the series. Fuller has initiated talks with Amazon Prime and Netflix for a renewal."

EDIT1: Oh, back in S3e1, at the end, there's this great shot of Hannibal sitting on a train with a luggage chest that reminds me a TON of the end of the movie "Let the Right One In." I can't really believe that's a mistake. (Except it's making you wonder who is representing who.)

EDIT2: Caught up now (through s3e4). Things are kind of falling into place, I think they're trying to set up the placement of all the characters for the beginning of Red Dragon, which would likely start with e7.

93JC

The oral sex jokes in this show are pretty racy for regular ol' broadcast TV. I could hardly believe Verger said: "I bet you had a taste of him too. Spitters are quitters, and you don't look like a quitter to me."

Riva

Enneagram
7w8

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Considering they are starting Dolarhyde up in 2 episodes or so... I don't think Hannibal is gonna escape. Everyone is being put into position for the next act.

The oral sex jokes in this show are pretty racy for regular ol' broadcast TV. I could hardly believe Verger said: "I bet you had a taste of him too. Spitters are quitters, and you don't look like a quitter to me."

I was pretty shocked they got away with that, but damn .... I love this show.

Mason's like the anti-Lecter. Both are smart, but Lecter is refined while Mason isn't ashamed to go right for the gutter.

Riva

Enneagram
7w8
I love the show too. However, I fear it's moving too slow. No I don't think the pace of the show is too slow. I just think it might not survive for so long due to ratings if they continue with the same pace. It would kill the theme of the show to speed things up, but I feel that's the only way the show would reach an ending before being cancelled. Besides they were initially planning for 7 seasons. No way that's going to happen I thought back then.

Genuine concern.

Also are they going to give Will a break from the show once Clarice Starling is introduced? She seems no way close to the intrigue Will provides though Silence of the lambs was amazing.

Will is just too amazing to be taken off the show. But maybe the viewers would get tired of him, and I fear the they would get tired of Hannibal too if it goes on like this.