• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Hannibal (TV Series), finally a depiction that lives up to Silence of the Lambs

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Oh boy! Episode 10!

FrellIY.gif

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram

This shit is getting creepier and creepier. That scene with the Vergers in the barn was... chilling.

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

This shit is getting creepier and creepier. That scene with the Vergers in the barn was... chilling.

Haha, I like how you kinda figured that out as you went along.

PancakeMix

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w5
I'm really hoping that the person in the wheel chair on fire on the episode 11 preview isn't Freddie. I know that in the Red Dragon movie they did the same with the other Freddie (who was a male), but I really hope they don't kill this one off so soon... even if she is a bit annoying.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I hope so too. I feel like they've been doing "homages" to the events in the books and movies, not really taking them very literally, so the chances are very good that it won't be Freddie. However, they did

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I hope so too. I feel like they've been doing "homages" to the events in the books and movies, not really taking them very literally, so the chances are very good that it won't be Freddie. However, they did

I like the unpredictability.

hjgbujhghg

I am
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
This episode was pure sick psycho mindfuck! I love the show more and more, probably the best tv show I've ever seen! Moooaar, mooaar of season 2!

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Yeah to all that.

This is one of the best episodes, although that's not saying much -- they're all typically good. But as far as the creep factor goes? So much! That whole opening scene for starters. Then the slow decline of Will in becoming Lecter.... but is it real or just a trap Will and the others are setting for Hannibal?

And then the whole sex segment

I no longer have any idea where they're going, because they're swiping stuff from Hannibal (the later book) as well as Red Dragon now.

The Vergers are pretty messed up too.

...I also have to add that my therapy sessions were totally boring compared to the ones in this show. :rofl1:

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
tumblr_moaalulBiB1sq3u8zo1_1280.jpg

(Made by BlackCat. Take it with a grain of salt, if you wish. However, in theory, I don't think it's hard to grasp how Ni may play a part in inducing the same kind of anxieties 6's must cope with. How the other functions of an INFJ, in particular, converge with 6 tendencies seems more open to interpretation.)

Yes, I recognize that Si often functions as a repository for symbolic information.

And while I think Will frequently makes decisions as an INFP would, he suffers from so much dissociation (off and on the job) that it's hard for him not to look like a Pi dom. Sure, he searches for himself as an INFP would, but I think the typical INFP has the puzzling tendency to simultaneously show a robust sense of self. Or at least attempt to, in whatever fashion they see as most fitting, sometimes regardless of how truthful it is. But the most I see of that in Will is by way of his principles. Principles I could see as byproducts of Ti.

We also see Will drawing conclusions with very little information on hand (even when he's not in his "zone"). Are we to say his offhand insights stem from Si as well? His years of education and training?

In any case, I interpreted Will's hesitation to kill Hannibal not just being motivated by his desire to understand himself, but also to apprehend Hannibal in the most honorable way possible. Do you still see INFPs as that self serving, that they would let a killer go just for the sake of personal introspection?

As you said, he's dissociating so much he doesn't really know where his own boundaries are anymore and he deeply resents Hannibal for fucking him up this much. The reason Will is letting Hannibal go right now is that:

A) He knows killing Hannibal would get him put away forever (and he isn't stupid enough to do that), and
B) He knows he can't convince the law or any of his colleagues that Hannibal is guilty, so instead he's just trying to learn what he can from him (and possibly set him up for a big coup later.)

Some part of him--the dark parts he feels he needs to explore in order to fully understand himself--is curious and wants guidance from Hannibal, since Hannibal has obviously been through all of this himself already. Will feels some level of goodwill and friendship from Hannibal's relatively rudimentary Fi, and he wants to learn, but he also hates Hannibal and can never forgive him for what he's done. If Will believed he could get Hannibal legally brought to justice for his crimes, he'd do it in an instant, but he's come to realize Hannibal is simply too thorough for that.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah, I think I agree with much of that. ^^

He's flexing to the situation, where going through conventional channels only got him locked up himself; he knows that isn't going to work now.

But I think you hit on something when you mentioned "exploring his dark parts in order to fully understand himself." yes, yes, yes. It's a very INP thing, to immerse yourself into the dark part in order to figure it out. (My experience with INJ is that it likes to keep the boundaries, to quell anxiety and keep things defined, which immersion does not allow for.) And that's what he is doing -- exploring himself; he needs to understand that wellspring of dark deep inside, in order to deal with it and not be blindsided by it again, and he knows no one but Hannibal can probably do that. So that's another benefit to him playing the kind of game he is playing right now.

The show is presenting a lot of things at face value, in terms of Will and Crawford's views of Hannibal and seemingly "taken in by him," but I think they're both really just playing things out. Like the whole scene with Freddie at the barn.... it seems pretty likely that there's a lot going on behind the scenes that is not being presented. I still have my suspicions over Chilton's 'demise' as well ... and as Freddie surmised, Chilton only had the surgical skills on the surface but in practice was not capable of what they've been seeing (and the thought of someone like Chilton being so sloppy in the episode he was caught... rather ridiculous) but Hannibal is. I think Alana might be one of the few people left who genuinely believes Hannibal to be falsely suspected. Most people seem to have their hackles up with Hannibal now, even if they can't place a finger on why; and he knows this, but he also knows unless he makes a mistake, their suspicions have no traction.... and it's an exhilarating challenge to continually be untouchable. What else is there for him, as a hunter, without the chase and proving his own superiority to his prey?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
WOO HOOO!

“Hannibal” had been on the fence for a pickup, but its hard core fan base and international appeal put it over the top. NBC noted that the edgy show derived from the “Silence of the Lambs” franchise is the youngest-skewing 10 p.m. drama on NBC, ABC or CBS.

“Hannibal” is also a good bargain for NBC as it is produced by Gaumont Intl. TV and Sony Pictures TV Networks with financing from overseas outlets that allows NBC to pays more modest license fee than a typical U.S.-produced drama. The cost issue was not the only factor in securing the renewal of the series, created and exec produced by Bryan Fuller, but it didn’t hurt.

... in other news, Revolution got canceled.

R

Riva

I think Mason is also an ENTP. So far there were three entps in the series (that is if Chilton was also one).

Anyway it was expected that Freddie wasn't going to be killed. What I didn't expect was to be a part of the act until the medical record scene in which it was obvious the FBI was trying to trick Hannibal. (Will don't have the recourses to fool the FBI into thinking the the burned carcass was that of Freddie.)

I am slightly disappointed in Crawford for taking so long to believe in Will.

Alana Bloom is a joke that acts as comic relief. Sleeping with a suspect. Very professional .

hjgbujhghg

I am
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
So Will is not a killer after all, I guess it was pretty predictable though it leaves me kind of disappointed in the power of this show to blow your brain off...Anyway if just Will would bring a voice recodrer to on one of his sessions with Hannibal it could be enough to convict him, but I guess tricking and messing with everyone around is just more interesting for the plot.

Anyway am I the only who liked the idea of Will being a killer? It was kinda messed up this good weird way.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
So this show has a character who literally drinks the tears of children. On any other show, that would seem like a step too far.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I love AV Club. Someone pointed that^ out there, and someone else made this comment which made me LOL for reals:

Hannibal: Will’s therapy is finally going well.
Alana: I dunno, he seems pretttty murder-y lately.
Hannibal: … yeah. Goin’ really great.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
More AV club fun, spoilered because spoilers:

and

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So Will is not a killer after all, I guess it was pretty predictable though it leaves me kind of disappointed in the power of this show to blow your brain off...Anyway if just Will would bring a voice recodrer to on one of his sessions with Hannibal it could be enough to convict him, but I guess tricking and messing with everyone around is just more interesting for the plot.

Anyway am I the only who liked the idea of Will being a killer? It was kinda messed up this good weird way.

I'm not sure if I like the idea of Will as a killer. The show definitely f'd with my head, because I was pretty convinced that he was like, 2 episodes back. Then after watching I thought about it and was like "wait a second, that's not who Will is. this show isn't going to be Hannibal and Will, the serial killer super horror duo"

I love AV Club. Someone pointed that^ out there, and someone else made this comment which made me LOL for reals:

Hannibal: Will’s therapy is finally going well.
Alana: I dunno, he seems pretttty murder-y lately.
Hannibal: … yeah. Goin’ really great.

Lol, love the AV club. Comment section is often more illuminating than than the article.

Mason has also drank (drunk? drunken?) the tears of women. He just likes any 'ol tears, I think. Spruces up any martini.

Showing alana Freddie, that alone seems risky. She's already starting to lose her shit, and if she, too, is now convinced Hannibal is the killer, Hannibal may see right through her. Or be on high alert when/if she stops seeing him.

I don't know about anyone else, but it seems somewhat hard to believe Hannibal could be so duped by so many. If he's indeed the same Hannibal as is in the Mythos, "Don't lie Clarice, or I'll know."

So it looks like Will has set up Mason to kill Hannibal. I thought that was a rough decision on Will's part, seeing as what Mason's, um, done to his sister and Will's future baby mama (christ, that scene, "the horror!"). He really may be the only man with the resources to do that, even though he himself is a monster.

I'm also looking forward to seeing Mason try and what Hannibal does to Mason, as I hate (in a loving way) him more right now (Michael Pitt was an excellent choice).

lue

That scene was so good.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
It really was.

True story: my husband really liked the name Alana when we were expecting our first child. I thought it sounded too much like Alanis Morissette who was still kind of popular then. I'm so glad I talked him out of it. I would hate for this show to remind me of anybody I love.