User Tag List

First 5678917 Last

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    you might be right, and I don't even know why I wrote they were friends as I reread my answer. I don't even remember writing it, I must have been rushing through it or thinking of other things at the time.

Anyway, all the stuff in the TV show is obviously manufactured outside the book, none of the relational stuff and incidents and connections are present in the book. Red Dragon (which features Will) is after lecter has been in custody for some time, Will has healed from his gutting by Lecter, and doesn't even really want to be involved with the new serial killer case, he had retired. But Crawford begs him.
    But you are saying that, after some research, they plan on re-visiting old plotlines? I just don't know how I feel about that. On the one hand, I'd love to see the new take, but on the other, kind of takes away from the unpredictability. And I believe these writers are MORE than capable of coming up with new directions/stories while keeping with the mythos.

I briefly searched for what Thomas Harris thought of the show, but couldn't find anything. Anyone know?
    I've had this ice cream bar, since I was a child!

Each thought's completely warped
    I'm like a walkin', talkin', ouija board.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyyukon View Post
    How does Hannibal get caught in the books? I forgot.
    "How did you do it? What was the first indication, the first thing you felt?"
    "It was coincidence," Graham said. "The sixth victim was killed in his workshop. He had woodworking equipment and he kept his hunting stuff out there. He was laced to a pegboard where the tools hung, and he was really torn up, cut and stabbed, and he had arrows in him. The wounds reminded me of something. I couldn't think what it was."
    "And you had to go on to the next ones."
    "Yes. Lecter was very hot—he did the next three in nine days. But this sixth one, he had two old scars on his thigh. The pathologist checked with the local hospital and found he had fallen out of a tree blind five years before while he was bow hunting and stuck an arrow through his leg.
    "The doctor of record was a resident surgeon, but Lecter had treated him first—he was on duty in the emergency room. His name was on the admissions log. It had been a long time since the accident, but I thought Lecter might remember if anything had seemed fishy about the arrow wound, so I went to this office to see him. We were grabbing at anything then.
    "He was practicing psychiatry by that time. He had a nice office. Antiques. He said he didn't remember much about the arrow wound, that one of the victim's hunting buddies had brought him in, and that was it.
    "Something bothered me, though. I thought it was something Lecter said, or something in the office. Crawford and I hashed it over. We checked the files, and Lecter had no record. I wanted some time in his office by myself, but we couldn't get a warrant. We had nothing to show. So I went back to see him.
    "It was sunday, he saw patients on Sunday. The building was empty except for a couple of people in his waiting room. He saw me right away. We were talking and he was making this polite effort to help me and I looked up at some very old medical books on the shelf above his head. And I know it was him.
    "When I looked at him again, maybe my face changed, I don't know. I knew it and
    he knew I knew it. I still couldn't think of the reason, though. I didn't trust it. I had to figure it out. So I mumbled something and got out of there, into the hall. There was a pay phone in the hall. I didn't want to stir him up until I had some help. I was talking to the police switchboard when he came out a service door behind me in his socks. I never heard him coming. I felt his breath was all, and then... there was the rest of it."
    "How did you know, though?"
    "I think it was maybe a week later in the hospital I finally figured it out. It was
    Wound Man—an illustration they used in a lot of the early medical books like the ones Lecter had. It shows different kinds of battle injuries, all in one figure. I had seen it in a survey course a pathologist was teaching at GWU. This sixth victim's position and his injuries were a close match to Wound Man."
    "
    Wound Man, you say? That's all you had?"
    "Well, yeah. It was a coincidence that I had seen it. A piece of luck."
    "That's some luck."
    "If you don't believe me, what the fuck did you ask me for?

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

you might be right, and I don't even know why I wrote they were friends as I reread my answer. I don't even remember writing it, I must have been rushing through it or thinking of other things at the time.

Anyway, all the stuff in the TV show is obviously manufactured outside the book, none of the relational stuff and incidents and connections are present in the book. Red Dragon (which features Will) is after lecter has been in custody for some time, Will has healed from his gutting by Lecter, and doesn't even really want to be involved with the new serial killer case, he had retired. But Crawford begs him.
    Hey, what you think, is Hannibal Rising worth watching? It didn't get the best reviews, but I didn't read that book, and am too lazy.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyyukon View Post
    Hey, what you think, is Hannibal Rising worth watching? It didn't get the best reviews, but I didn't read that book, and am too lazy.
    I didn't watch the movie or read the book, and it sounds like one of the largest complaints is trying to explain why Hannibal is the way he is. I think in some instances the mystery is better than the explanation, unless you can hit the explanation out of the park.

When I read "Hannibal," I felt like Harris was giving the finger to the publishing world -- it was an eloquently written piece of crap, IMO... a big joke Harris pulled over on the publishing industry saying, "Look at what I can write, and you guys will sell it, and I'll make a lot of money, no matter how bad and silly the plot is." Honestly, that's what I thought when reading it. I couldn't believe they tried to make it into a movie, and made it pretty much verbatim. Hilarious. Stuff Harris could pull off on the page because of his prose-writing skills had no way in heck to work on the screen without seeming ridiculous.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

agree, this show is fantastic. ongoing INTJ/INFP battle with ESTJ hanging around complicating things. very interesting show.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

Riva

Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    agree, this show is fantastic. ongoing INTJ/INFP battle with ESTJ hanging around complicating things. very interesting show.
    I thought,

Hannibal - intj 5w6 sx/sp (pretending to be a sp/so)
    Graham - infj (he has little or no fi)
    Jack crawford - entj
    Chilton - e3 (not sure about the mbti type)

Gideon - entp? (It's funny to even look at him)

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

The show is more interesting without derailing the thread by arguing about type. That's for the typing subforum.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Riva

The show is more interesting without derailing the thread by arguing about type. That's for the typing subforum.
    I was trying to add to the excitement and not to take anything away from the thread.

However lolz I had a hunch 'you' would say that.

The show is interesting indeed which I have communicated in this thread itself but does it necessarily have to be a place of worship?

This is a MBTI forum, so I don't think MBTI discussions are technically irrelevant anywhere here (unless it's a personal blog).

You can report the post which have been used to discuss MBTI types and ask the madmins to make another thread.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

@Riva

Yeah, punk!

J/K
    @Jennifer is a wild animal that can't control herself sometimes. It's not her fault. She's like a large feline that can never really be tamed.

Ginkgo

Season 1. Episode 10. I'm starting to empathize with Hannibal. What the fuck man.