User Tag List

First 202829303132 Last

MBTI
    DEUS

Great finale, as taken from a James Bond movie.
    ‘Many novelties have come from America. The most startling of these, a thing without precedent, is a mass of undignified poor. They do not love one another because they do not love themselves.’

‘And we will have made great strides in equality,
    when few have too much and fewer too little.’.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

The finale doesn't air here until Saturday night.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

I enjoyed the first season, second was fine. Third is just a long stream of hallucinations.

If I wanted to see that i'd take LSD.
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

“I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

"Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

MBTI
    DEUS

Quote Originally Posted by EcK View Post
    I enjoyed the first season, second was fine. Third is just a long stream of hallucinations.

If I wanted to see that i'd take LSD.
    It gets much better towards the end.
    ‘Many novelties have come from America. The most startling of these, a thing without precedent, is a mass of undignified poor. They do not love one another because they do not love themselves.’

‘And we will have made great strides in equality,
    when few have too much and fewer too little.’.
    Likes Totenkindly liked this post

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

The first half honestly didn't bother me (like I noted earlier, it was actually covering material from later books, rather than being completely unrelated, so it was mostly fair game); but yeah, I'm glad they moved onto material that is much more familiar to the audience, and they've done a bang-up job with it.

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

The "Hannibal" novel was dumb and boring, not unlike the film adaptation. Covering that material may very well have doomed the TV series; they lost the audience. It's no surprise that once they started directly covering the material from "Red Dragon" the show became eminently more interesting.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

My personal feeling after reading "Hannibal" was that it was Thomas Harris' laughing all the way to the bank and giving the publishers his middle finger.

It was basically a shit sandwich dressed up in skillful Harris prose so that it looked palatable and fancy.

On one level, it was an amazing display of Harris' writing ability; but I never read another book by him after that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    My personal feeling after reading "Hannibal" was that it was Thomas Harris' laughing all the way to the bank and giving the publishers his middle finger.

It was basically a shit sandwich dressed up in skillful Harris prose so that it looked palatable and fancy.

On one level, it was an amazing display of Harris' writing ability; but I never read another book by him after that.
    Was the writing that well-done? If so, I may read it.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    Was the writing that well-done? If so, I may read it.

It was years ago when I read it (when it came out), so I always hesitate to make a recommendation purely on memory in case you hate it.

I just remember thinking that when I was reading it -- "If anyone else would write a plot this melodramatic and shit crazy, no one would have published it." I feel like he made up the most outlandish thing he could think of, in terms of plot, because he was ensured massive sales regardless.

It's incredible they even tried to make a movie out of it, I don't think anyone could have really made it work on the screen; not even Ridley Scott. It's why on the show they ditched much of the plot as Harris wrote it, reorganized/wove in a few elements in ways they could pull off, played up the absurdity when necessary (so it fit with the tone of the show), and tossed the rest. You simply can't play that book straight, you have to make it into something absurd and surreal.

Note also that Starling is a protagonist in the book and she's not even in Fuller's version. That got rid of some of the stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post

Absolutely. I read somewhere that he had no intention of writing another book featuring Hannibal Lecter after "The Silence of the Lambs" but was heavily pressured by his publisher, his agent and everyone else involved to do it. And to make it "marketable". It had to have Hannibal in it, it had to have Starling in it, it had to be grandiose in a way that would up the ante when the inevitable film adaptation was made.

So all these people waved money at him and he went right along with those plans for this story. It sold in great numbers and he made oodles of money off it, and off " Hannibal Rising" too (which I've never read but had heard was dreck).
    Likes Totenkindly liked this post