User Tag List

First 182627282930 Last

The show's fantastastical scenes and surreal play with the image and sound are probably the most beautiful and breath taking things I've ever seen TV. The only problem with art is when it starts to lack the inspiration, repeating the same idea over and over again loses the power over the watcher's mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinclair View Post
    I think the way everyone is scrambling over each other in an effort to get to Hannibal is hilarious. As soon as someone has him someone else comes in and screws over the other person's plans.

I know a lot of people aren't really feeling the pretentious artsy-ness but I see it as camp levity. Despite the extremely surreal and fantastical elements, I think people take the show too seriously and expect too much realism.
    Yes the Mason Verger thing is even fun to copy is voice. "I'll capture and eat Hannibal myself" oh let's cook him like a pig too. I mean throwing comedy in this 3rd season is kind of nice but it's so out of place. First two seasons, I had a hard time navigating through the gore and I swear no laughter came into me until I saw Hannibal let the last guy hang himself like Judas Iscariot. Then later Jack is like oh yeah now I can go finally teach Hannibal a lesson. Kick kick kick punch stab repeat and he just slides away.

Will: why didn't you kill him?
    Jack: because maybe you should.

... I'm like wtf.

Will: Hannibal my man lets get back to being friends
    Hannibal: finally after the trials we've been through
    *Will walks with Hannibal*
    *Will pulls out knife* *Chi only nips Will in the shoulder*
    Hannibal: now I'm going to eat Will.

Peter Griffin: "okay this is news to me*

Then SOMEHOW

Mason Verger: mm now there's two of you to eat.

I'm like did they just flip the table here??

Edit: Okay eat the rude was pretty funny from an earlier season Before. But it's humor that just should be sly fully set in
    Likes Hawthorne liked this post

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    But snails bring out the flavor!
    you talkin' ta me???
    I've had this ice cream bar, since I was a child!

Each thought's completely warped
    I'm like a walkin', talkin', ouija board.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

Man, this show has some haters. Which is cool. I wonder if it's just this season.

I admit, I was starting to lose patience with all the dreamscape, high speed camera imagery (as AWESOME as it is), and really wanting a plot to exist and progress.

Maybe I'm totally insane, but to me, it seems that the plot HAS finally started to come together and move.

And the last episode was the weiner.

Also, when Ray Liotta had his skull cap removed and was munchin' on some of his own brain, it was comical (the book, I was horrified). I can't even remember who his character was (pretty sure not will), but in this episode, I was like "HOLYBALLFUCKERS!!!!!!"

then I crapped my pants and all was well with the world.
    I've had this ice cream bar, since I was a child!

Each thought's completely warped
    I'm like a walkin', talkin', ouija board.
    Likes Totenkindly liked this post

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Well, the mid-season Verger story wrapped up in all its silly, amusing, spectacular operatic glory -- it was awesome -- and the end of the episode resolved in just the way we needed it to in order to set the playing board for the Great Red Dragon.

So essentially the show managed to do the Hannibal (book) story or its variation thereof early in the chronology, throwing out / reframing the most ridiculous parts so that they actually meshed better (no Liotta here, we got Will in context of a crazy story, for example), and wrapped everything emotionally and relationally up in a way that made sense.

Tonight was Neil Marshall directing the first "Tooth Fairy / Red Dragon" episode. Armitage is unsettling. Yes, there's the hairlip, although not as severe as you might think. I'm pretty familiar with "Red Dragon" (I've read it 5-6 times), so seeing how they rearrange the details to fit within the show is interesting. Some of it felt a little rushed to me, although that could just be the snail pace I am used to with this show. It was hard seeing Will choose to go back into the lion's den so to speak -- and when you're reading the book, you're not really tapped into why it's so hard for him, but after living in his headspace on the TV show for 2.5 seasons, it's really unsettling to see him go into the Leeds' home and relive the crimes... you know exactly what impact this will have on him. (And the only reason he's doing it is because he'd feel worse seeing a third family murdered and knowing he might have prevented it.)
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft
    Likes Hawthorne liked this post

MBTI
    INTp

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyyukon View Post
    Man, this show has some haters. Which is cool. I wonder if it's just this season.
    Just this season, it makes it even worse in that the first couple seasons were above average viewing IMO, so the drastic decline seems that much worse.

I haven't seen the most recent episode yet (it's a bad sign when I don't even care enough to worry about spoilers) but it looked like it might be a bit of a return to earlier episodes feel wise.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

The first half of Season 3 was actually a condensation of the book "Hannibal" now in hindsight:

But since we didn't know this going into it, no one knew wth was going on or why, and how long it would seemingly meander. Really, it was all meant to eradicate the need to deal with that pretty terrible/tongue-in-cheek "Hannibal" book which made a mockery of Starling's character and also to reboot/move the playing pieces to their locations at the start of Red Dragon.

It's too bad it lost the viewing audience attention to a large degree, confused by its purpose in the beginning.

The first episode of the Red Dragon sequence was a helluva of a lurch forward -- we are back to what was happening pace-wise in Season 1, and a similar approach (with some of the old lab agents reintroduced), and there's a tangible external plot versus a lot of internal surreal stuff. It's still Hannibal, it's very evocative, but that one episode covered a chunk of Red Dragon plot-wise already -- handling all the upfront stuff, characters reconnecting, Will investigating the Leeds' house, etc. Definitely a shift back to more linear plotting and clearer direction, story-wise.

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    DEUS

The season has improved vastly with the entry into Red Dragon.
    ‘Many novelties have come from America. The most startling of these, a thing without precedent, is a mass of undignified poor. They do not love one another because they do not love themselves.’

‘And we will have made great strides in equality,
    when few have too much and fewer too little.’.
    Likes Totenkindly liked this post

I'm really excited to see what goes on with how the "Great Red Dragon" does. I'm worried there won't be a season 4 though. :\

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I got a bad feeling about Freddie.