User Tag List

First 9171819202129 Last

Riva

I thought breaking someone's neck would kill that person.

I should try it on someone.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyyukon View Post

RE: Breaking necks.

Breaking a neck doesn't actually kill anyone. You're just breaking vertebrae -- the ring of bones that protects your spinal column.

Once you break the neck, there is nothing there to protect the fragile nerves, which can be easily severed or damaged or squeezed by pressure from the inflammation created by breaking the bone.

That is what people die of, depending on which vertebrae have been damaged. The higher up the damage occurs, the more you move from losing voluntary movements (limbs, etc.) to involuntary (breathing, heartbeat, etc.)

EDIT: It's why, when you have a neck injury, they don't want you to move and they immobilize you ASAP. Your bones have been broken; but if you don't move, your nerves might not be harmed.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Riva

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post

Breaking a neck doesn't actually kill anyone. You're just breaking vertebrae -- the ring of bones that protects your spinal column.

Once you break the neck, there is nothing there to protect the fragile nerves, which can be easily severed or damaged or squeezed by pressure from the inflammation created by breaking the bone.

That is what people die of, depending on which vertebrae have been damaged. The higher up the damage occurs, the more you move from losing voluntary movements (limbs, etc.) to involuntary (breathing, heartbeat, etc.)
    Ah thank you for that.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

[spoiler]

I don't have the source right on me, but from what I understand, you can ABSOLUTELY kill someone that way, but it would take a very strong person with knowledge required to know right where to grip/push and twist. It can be done, but takes a LOT of torque. It's a myth that it's a myth. Oh yeah, I was reading about it in a Jiu Jitsu forum.

@Riva
    edit: but you're right, you'd have to break the vertebrae AND sever the spinal cord at the same time. Again, a LOT of force, but if you use your opponents body and/or your own body weight + gravity, and the right neck cranks/spine cranks or locks.

I don't know if you watch The Americans, but in one episode, a highly trained black ops soldier kills someone this way, and he doesn't do it like the typical movie, he gets a full wrap around grip with both arms and pulls down, just the right angle, hugs/squeezes and cranks, it actually looks awkward, but from what I know from Jiu Jitsu, seemed totally legitimate. Victim dies instantly. Plus there's stories of Marines or Navy SEALs doing it in real life. But doubt will be getting any evidence from that.
    I've had this ice cream bar, since I was a child!

Each thought's completely warped
    I'm like a walkin', talkin', ouija board.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyyukon View Post
    I don't have the source right on me, but from what I understand, you can ABSOLUTELY kill someone that way, but it would take a very strong person with knowledge required to know right where to grip/push and twist. It can be done, but takes a LOT of torque. It's a myth that it's a myth. Oh yeah, I was reading about it in a Jiu Jitsu forum.
    Well, I'm not sure how that changes what I said. Until you damage the nerves, you're just breaking bone, like breaking a leg. So you break the bones so that the nerves can then be damaged.

But I agree it takes more specialized ability. The way they show it in the movies all the time -- grabbing someone and just twisting/snapping their neckbones -- isn't as easy to do as they pretend.

EDIT: Yeah, what you said in your edit. You can do it if you know how and are precise... but the movies make it look cheesy-easy.

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

Well, I'm not sure how that changes what I said. Until you damage the nerves, you're just breaking bone, like breaking a leg. So you break the bones so that the nerves can then be damaged.

But I agree it takes more specialized ability. The way they show it in the movies all the time -- grabbing someone and just twisting/snapping their neckbones -- isn't as easy to do as they pretend.

EDIT: Yeah, what you said in your edit. You can do it if you know how and are precise... but the movies make it look cheesy-easy.

Yes the movies are ridiculous. A smallllllll few have gotten it right, but still surprises me, with all the knowledge on how to do something like that, it's not usually portrayed, even in todays movies/tv shows. You can also kill a man relatively easy doing a "rear naked choke" where you come from behind and with one arm, hook the neck in the crook and use your bicep to cut off one carotid artery and your forearm to cut off the other. I've seen this done correctly a few times (it's a move I DO know and have executed) but the choke is NEVER held long enough to kill someone. about 10 seconds for unconsciousness, 20 for brain damage, and anywhere from 1-5 minutes for brain death, due to lack of oxygen.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Yeah, there are certain TV/movie tropes, one being "grab someone by the head, twist, and they die." Even if you don't know what you're doing. Silly.

Another is how you can go from starting to feel labor pains to delivering a baby within about 3 minutes, including active pushing for what amounts to only mere seconds. Most women are in labor for hours, sometimes even longer than a day. It can also take time to push out the baby. I consider this a "time" issue -- since TV shows and movies run from about 30-120 minutes, they can't afford to be realistic.

The other is how long it takes to kill someone by suffocating them. The movies and TV show someone dying from air loss in about 15-30 seconds. I think if you block blood to the brain (not just choke the windpipe, but preventing the blood flow from reaching the brain), then yes, ten seconds -- kind of like those reports of how long a human head can last after being decapitated, it's about ten seconds from anecdotes. But the person will start breathing again if they're still alive, if you let up; it takes a good 4-5 minutes.

This is why strangulation murders are so bad. you can shoot someone in the head in less than a second of rage or fear, and you can't take it back. But to kill someone through manual strangulation, you have to really want them to die. You don't "suffocate someone" by accident.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

This is why strangulation murders are so bad. you can shoot someone in the head in less than a second of rage or fear, and you can't take it back. But to kill someone through manual strangulation, you have to really want them to die. You don't "suffocate someone" by accident.
    Yeah, good point. Only a cold blooded killer could do that, or someone on meth, or perhaps a disarmed soldier in a survival situation. It would be quiet. But I read that elite soldiers can dispatch silently with a knife, and severe the spinal cord at the neck. Hardcore, dude.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Scripts: Looks like someone captured the closed captioning for all the hannibal episodes, so if you're trying to remember a line, you can skim these scripts.

They didn't specify which character says what, but at least you can search on and find particular lines that you can't totally recall.

Hannibal Episode Scripts | SS

Quote Originally Posted by 93JC View Post
    I don't think Hannibal will cannibalize [Dr. Bloom] or anything, I just think she's in for a well-earned "I told you so."