User Tag List

First 91011121321 Last

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    No, she's being blamed for being incompetent at her job.

If a pastor who claimed to know all about Satan and preached about Satan every week and made a lifelong career out of talking about how one needs to recognize and defeat Satan ended up being taken in by Satan, I'd be making fun of his hubris as well.

What type of psychiatrist starts screwing a lead suspect in a police investigation that she is involved in? Even if she thinks he's innocent? Has she ever heard of projection? Or transference? Or identification? Or... well, you know, all that crap you learn in first-year psych at a basic university?
    Oh she'll get her just desserts. I just hope it's not her own toes.

However, I think Hannibal has genuine emotions for her. Like Abigail, though, he won't hesitate to put her down if she stands in his way whatsoever, or is in a position to expose him. I don't think he would prefer that option. Though, on that note, we don't really know if Abigail is actually dead.

I'll also add, that, as she's said in a recent episode, she's known Hannibal longer than ANYONE; Will, Jack Crawford. And she has managed to NOT sleep with him. Up until the last episode. And as every Dane knows, he is the sexiest man in Denmark, so, I know it wasn't easy. If she's projecting or transferring (she probably is, they're like besties, or at least she thinks so) it happened before getting it on with the Devil.
    I've had this ice cream bar, since I was a child!

Each thought's completely warped
    I'm like a walkin', talkin', ouija board.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyyukon View Post
    Oh she'll get her just desserts. I just hope it's not her own toes.

However, I think Hannibal has genuine emotions for her. Like Abigail, though, he won't hesitate to put her down if she stands in his way whatsoever, or is in a position to expose him. I don't think he would prefer that option. Though, on that note, we don't really know if Abigail is actually dead.
    Hahah! I was just gonna say we don't know whether Abigail is deceased, kicked the bucket, gone to the great psycho perch in the sky, pushing up daisies, no longer breathing, snuffed, squelched, pinched off, smoked, smothered, terminated, demised, ceased to be, bereft of life, joined the choir invisible, six feet under, mortified, croaked, erased, cadaverous, liquidated, compacted, minced for worm food, obliterated, devoured as num-nums, or whatever else.

Miriam was alive.
    Abigail COULD be alive too.

Heh.

I'll also add, that, as she's said in a recent episode, she's known Hannibal longer than ANYONE; Will, Jack Crawford. And she has managed to NOT sleep with him. Up until the last episode. And as every Dane knows, he is the sexiest man in Denmark, so, I know it wasn't easy. If she's projecting or transferring (she probably is, they're like besties, or at least she thinks so) it happened before getting it on with the Devil.
    So she's been a bad psychiatrist for much longer than I was suggesting? Sounds like student-teacher crushing to me.

Not even Bedelia went to bed with the Butcher of Beverly, although I think she did eat the food.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

How could she help herself after he was in those little swim trunks in that other recent episode? She'd have to be superhuman.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Sigh. But.... but...

.. butt?

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

Hahah! I was just gonna say we don't know whether Abigail is deceased, kicked the bucket, gone to the great psycho perch in the sky, pushing up daisies, no longer breathing, snuffed, squelched, pinched off, smoked, smothered, terminated, demised, ceased to be, bereft of life, joined the choir invisible, six feet under, mortified, croaked, erased, cadaverous, liquidated, compacted, minced for worm food, obliterated, devoured as num-nums, or whatever else.
    Haha, yes, all those are options. She might also be in six flags.

Not even Bedelia went to bed with the Butcher of Beverly, although I think she did eat the food.
    Oh yeah, totally!

But really, Hannibal's emotions for Alana, are more fuck buddy, fatherly (not weird at all). It's only with Clarice, who asks him "But are you strong enough to point that high-powered perception at yourself?" does he get a cannibal boner (not weird at all).

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    How could she help herself after he was in those little swim trunks in that other recent episode? She'd have to be superhuman.
    Sigh. But.... but...

.. butt?

What a bunch a hornballs.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyyukon View Post
    But really, Hannibal's emotions for Alana, are more fuck buddy, fatherly (not weird at all). It's only with Clarice, who asks him "But are you strong enough to point that high-powered perception at yourself?" does he get a cannibal boner (not weird at all).

I did write an essay about father/daughter relationships in "The Silence of the Lambs," long ago; I'm trying to see if I can find it.

There are at least three that I see:

1. Clarice's actual father (who died when she was young).
    2. Her relationship with Jack Crawford.
    3. Her relationship with Hannibal Lecter.

I find Crawford and Lecter's roles in her life to be beautifully juxapositioned by the movie.

Crawford (Scott Glenn's version) is the traditional, calm, steady, unconsciously chauvanistic but well-intentioned father, and he operates with social boundaries in how he relates to Clarice. he hides information from her he doesn't think she needs to know, to protect her and control the situation. He does use her to accomplish his own ends, but is genuinely concerned for her safety and he does try to compensate/learn from his mistakes. He's kind of the classical ISTJ dad, tbh.

Lecter is a different type of father figure. He challenges Clarice and pushes hard on her directly, sometimes even offending her, but the goal is to sharpen her and see what she is made of. He is both put off and impressed when she manages to peddle him a false deal. He feeds her clues, yet only hides information in order to present an opportunity for her to rise to the occasion. Clarice is correct when she says she thinks Lecter is dangerous... but not to her; he'd consider that "rude." (And, actually, I propose he had some kind of fatherly affection for her, as long as she did not intervene in his affairs.)

The biggest difference is the touching of the hands. Demme specifically zooms in on the one time Clarice makes physical contact with each man; it's a purposeful framing of the contact for each. Crawford presents her with a firm but respectful handshake, honoring her achievements while remaining clearly within social and professional boundaries. He has made mistakes, but he is respectful of Clarice's boundaries. Meanwhile, Lecter touches Clarice's finger when he hands her the case file that last time, and it's almost a caress -- it's a very intimate but whispery stroke along her finger, and you can sense in that moment in whatever twisted way that he loves and respects her for being completely vulnerable to him and letting him guide her to facing her own inner fears. I think he sees her as courageous, and it's his way of letting her know that + saying goodbye.

It's why I don't really like any of the following movies, I feel like this father/daughter relationship between Hannibal and Clarice becomes perverted into some literal kind of incestuous sexual attraction. But in TSofL, it's more of a father/daughter thing even if they talk frankly about sexual things at times.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

It's why I don't really like any of the following movies, I feel like this father/daughter relationship between Hannibal and Clarice becomes perverted into some literal kind of incestuous sexual attraction. But in TSofL, it's more of a father/daughter thing even if they talk frankly about sexual things at times.
    All that good food for thought.

But I don't think in Silence that it's perverted. I was somewhat joking about being fatherly and sexually attracted at the same time. It's quite common, and I don't even believe abnormal (unless he's your ACTUAL father).

I never got a sense of incestuousness in Silence. It's very subtle, but Hannibal is attracted to her, maybe not so much her to him, though maybe that's so subtle my man mind can't pick it up.

Now in the books, Clarice and Hannibal become lovers. Which kind of makes sense.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

Alana Bloom, sooooo hot, want to touch the hiney!

Sounds like student-teacher crushing to me.
    Florence Nightingale effect. Bloom falls for Will because she is compelled to help him recover. When it's clear that Will has regained his mental faculties (and is sharper than ever) she no longer feels romantic feelings for him. She falls for Hannibal, whom she sees as being undeservedly persecuted and "in need of her help".