• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Maleficent

á´…eparted

passages
I haven't been this excited for a movie since Alice in Wonderland came out 4 years ago.

For those who are unfamiliar, Maleficent will tell the tale of the original sleeping beauty, from the prospective of the villainess. It's said we'll learn the "true" story and reasons of the events that unfold, and how it turned maleficent's "pure heart to stone".

What I am so excited about for this movie, is that who is the defined protagonist, and antagonist, will not be entirely clear. Each side will have aspects of both, and I love that in stories. The main character is regarded as one of the most intriguing characters Disney has ever created. While sleeping beauty never struck me as all that interesting of a movie as a child, I have to agree the back story behind maleficent is one of the deeper ones. Now that they are developing it, and I have looked into it more, it seems to be very true.

Angelina Jolie is playing Maleficent. I was unsure of this casting, but after seeing the posters, and trailers, she could not be more perfect for this part. She is capturing the character so well. This stands to be one of my most beloved characters of all time as well. I am fascinated by powerful, and evil women. There is just something about me that completely enchants me, and has since I was little.

It's been written by Linda Woolverton, who has written the script for several disney movies, including the most recent alice in wonderland (one of my all time favorites). If the script will be as any good as that, this will be truly incredible.

See for yourself, this is going to be absolutely amazing.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Why, oh why, were you excited for Alice in Wonderland?

Oz: The Great and Powerful was great, yes, but Alice in Wonderland?

Nijntje

Warflower
MBTI Type
CRZY
Enneagram
4w5
[MENTION=20829]Hard[/MENTION]

I am also super excited for this movie, Maleficent is my favourite of favourite Disney villains.

If this movie ends up being bad, I may actually murder people in the street.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Yeah, that actually isn't a selling point for me.

I have positive feelings for Linda Woolverton for her work on Disney's "Beauty and the Beast," and a few other earlier Disney pics she worked on, but I wouldn't exactly call Alice in Wonderland a feather in her cap.

PS. I didn't really like Oz the Great and Powerful either, it was about 50% good ideas, 50% poor execution and casting. And the monkey SUCKED. As well as the WWW. How can any movie that f*cks up the WWW be considered "great" let alone passable? Her whole character arc made no sense, it was poorly implemented and miscast.

Since Maleficent is my favorite Disney villain, I have a lot of concerns about commercializing her in a project like this. I admit to being impressed by the first two trailers I saw, and Jolie seemed to do fine, but... just not sure yet.

EDIT: Trailer 3 concerns me. Less sure than before.

I am also super excited for this movie, Maleficent is my favourite of favourite Disney villains.

If this movie ends up being bad, I may actually murder people in the street.

yes, that actually sums it up.

I wouldn't kill people in the streets for Joe Carroll, but I might be willing to reconsider for the Empress of All Evil.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What if they made a live-action movie about The Horned King? The mysteriousness of his character makes his back story very interesting.

gromit

likes this
Yeah I think this movie has potential... would love for it to be awesome/would love for Jolie to be awesome in it...

Nijntje

Warflower
MBTI Type
CRZY
Enneagram
4w5
yes, that actually sums it up.

I wouldn't kill people in the streets for Joe Carroll, but I might be willing to reconsider for the Empress of All Evil.

There will be rampaging and rivers of blood if it's not good. Disney has already killed my all time favourite fairy tale by making it TOTALLY DIFFERENT AND SHE GETS THE GUY IN THE END WHICH SHE DOESNT IN **ANY** OF THE RETELLINGS OF THE FAIRY TALE.

FUCK YOU FOR FUCKING UP THE LITTLE MERMAID, DISNEY.

Okay. Sorry. Had to get that out.

Anyway, after they ruined my childhood with the abomination of a re-telling that is the little mermaid, if they make Maleficent terrible, there will be blood. Oh yes, there will be blood.

á´…eparted

passages

Becauae alice in wonderland is one of my favorite stories, tim burton is my favorite directer, and helena bohnem carter ia my favorite actress. The movie was the epitome of dark whimsy. I felt it could have been a lot darker but it was gold enough. It had so many things I love, and i loved the concept of her going back to wonderland years later. So so cool.

Never saw OZ. Didnt have enough appeal for me to go see.

yeghor

...See for yourself, this is going to be absolutely amazing.

She looks like a True Neutral forest demi-god trying to protect her forest from the greed of men...? Her intentions feel nobler... Why the small fairies cooperate wit h men though? Are they paying tribute to men for their own survival? And Maleficent is staging a revolution to free the fairy-folk and the forest?

yeghor

She looks like a True Neutral forest demi-god trying to protect her forest from the greed of men...? Her intentions feel nobler... Why the small fairies cooperate wit h men though? Are they paying tribute to men for their own survival? And Maleficent is staging a revolution to free the fairy-folk and the forest?

Sent via Tapatalk

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Becauae alice in wonderland is one of my favorite stories, tim burton is my favorite directer, and helena bohnem carter ia my favorite actress. The movie was the epitome of dark whimsy. I felt it could have been a lot darker but it was gold enough. It had so many things I love, and i loved the concept of her going back to wonderland years later. So so cool.

Never saw OZ. Didnt have enough appeal for me to go see.

I've liked some Tim Burton pictures, and I think HBC is a wonderful actress (I think she's really really good, in the right roles, and versatile), but the movies they make can be kinda hit or miss for me.

Aronfosky is my favorite director, probably, overall. Or Danny Boyle. Burton can become somewhat self-indulgent in his tastes and his pictures can drift.

F

figsfiggyfigs

I fuckin' love when they stories are told from the traditional Villian's perspective, when you are shown that they had their reasons just as the other party did, and that they're not just evil for the heck of being evil.
I hope this is one of them.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...rs-thought-horrifying-Disney-movie-goers.html

Angelina Jolie's latest film, Maleficent, is so scary that it has got investors running scared that it will be a flop and cost Disney millions. The 38-year-old actress plays the evil villainess from the Sleeping Beauty tale in her first major Hollywood role in four years. But her portrayal in the dark fantasy film has turned off Wall Street money men...

Okay, here's my question: WTF would you make a movie about Maleficent, if you didn't want something that actually had some scary elements or was scary in some ways?

Go make another freaking Pooh movie.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...rs-thought-horrifying-Disney-movie-goers.html

Okay, here's my question: WTF would you make a movie about Maleficent, if you didn't want something that actually had some scary elements or was scary in some ways?

Go make another freaking Pooh movie.

I watched the trailer and if they wanted to portray some dimension to the character; it didn't show. She still seemed like the stereotypical schemer manipulating some innocent water painting type of character.

á´…eparted

passages

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yes! I am actually even MORE excited now! It's about time disney started to get away from the saccrine idealism

yeah, I'll be honest -- I think the critics (who think it's too scary) are being a little silly, and at the same time, I'm more interested in seeing it.

If it was aimed at 8-year-olds, I wouldn't go.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Reviews have started releasing.
So far the split on RT is 5/3 = 63%.

We'll see what happens once the bulk comes out.

So far, Jolie seems highly rated regardless; but I've only been reading summaries / opening paragraphs in order to avoid spoilers. Here's one paragraph about her:

While Fanning's Aurora is relegated to a supporting role (and Brenton Thwaites' Prince Phillip a glorified cameo) Jolie is perfectly cast in the lead, and does excellent work despite substantial physical constraints. She spends the entire film wearing a prosthetic nose, cheeks, teeth and ears, with moon-sized contact lenses and a bulky set of horns atop her head. (Master makeup magician Rick Baker is in stellar form here.) Her movements are often strictly dictated by how best to frame her silhouette. She has few lines that aren't delivered as monologue, and her most frequent co-stars are digitally rendered creatures. That she manages to command the screen as well as she does in spite of all this is rather remarkable.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm seeing it tomorrow with a friend and will report back.

50+ reviews out, and it pretty much seems to be a crapshoot as to whether a particular person will enjoy it.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm seeing it tomorrow with a friend and will report back.

50+ reviews out, and it pretty much seems to be a crapshoot as to whether a particular person will enjoy it.

I couldn't decide whether to see Maleficent or A Million Ways to Die in the West first, until I saw the Tomatometer scores...and I still can't decide. These two movies might be more similar than we thought...

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I couldn't decide whether to see Maleficent or A Million Ways to Die in the West first, until I saw the Tomatometer scores...and I still can't decide. These two movies might be more similar than we thought...

Yeah, I think Mal is around 47% right now and West at 34%. Sick sick sick.

They should have merged the two into, "A Million Ways to Die by Maleficent," and just let our witchy woman go to town.