User Tag List

First 234

Thread: Maleficent

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Ü™ View Post
    What if they made a live-action movie about The Horned King? The mysteriousness of his character makes his back story very interesting.
    And what luck, his character isn't the most active or agile, so John Hurt could still play him.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    this is also not a man's movie; men in general come off pretty poorly or at least irrelevant. The strongest male presence is not a sympathetic character, and almost all of the other characters are female... some strong, some weak, some goofy and incompetent, but still pretty much occupying the center of the movie.
    Hmm interesting, might be worth a watch.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

Saw this yesterday, it wasn't bad. I actually like it. I mean... I keep joking about falling asleep watching Superman, but I actually liked this.

Others have said that the movie was kind of slow though while I thought the pacing of the movie was just fine.

figsfiggyfigs

It's ok.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

It seems like a lot of the movie happens before Aurora goes to sleep.

I'm probably more excited about "Edge of Tomorrow" and "How to Train Your Dragon 2" at this point.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

figsfiggyfigs

Oh em gee I am so excited for HTTAD2

deplorable basketcase Tellenbach's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Too revisionist for my taste. What's great about the animated Maleficent was her unabashedly evil awesomeness; that is completely lost in this one. I hope they got a different writer for the Cinderella one coming out next year.
    Senator Rand Paul is alive because of modern medicine and because his attacker punches like a girl.

Anew Leaf

Saw this last night with some friends and I made the call that we aren't allowed to see movies together being that our last adventure was Oz which was even more spectacularly bad than this was.

What I did like:
    • AJ seemed like she was made for this role.
    • Some of the CGI was fun to see

What I didn't like:
    • Everything else >.>
    • Aurora is asleep for like 15 min.
    • When Mal kissed her I said aloud, if A wakes up now I am leaving.
    • It probably shows my age since that boy looked like he was about 12
    • The over the top seriousness in moments that had that been pulled back a bit could have made things actually epic, but instead made it cheesy.
    • So... once again (this time with feeling!) we discover that the female villains of a piece are only villains because their love interest gets sprung around someone else. Really? Can't women just be villains because black is the best color? Sigh.
    • Stephan was so poorly acted I lol'd at most of his scenes.
    • Soo... Mal can like do all of this magic and crap like build the great wall of thorns but she can't GROW WINGS?! REALLY?
    • I will admit that I LOVE the animated movie so I know most of its lines and having certain scenes verbatim... sigh
    • The 3 fairies were too over the top annoying which I know is the point but there is no subverting of the story. It's not like suddenly you see one thing with two faces, it's merely the same story except that it's one sided the other way. Sa-nooze.
    • Hey Mal looks just like an angel when she flies above the clouds.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Tellenbach View Post
    Too revisionist for my taste. What's great about the animated Maleficent was her unabashedly evil awesomeness; that is completely lost in this one. I hope they got a different writer for the Cinderella one coming out next year.
    I'm not sure how you make a movie marketed towards the PG-13 late-teen Disney girl audience about an unabashedly evil villain who will not be growing or changing over the course of the film. Let's face it, most Disney villains are static -- they are sharply hewn characters that serve the purpose of triggering growth or providing a challenge for the protagonist. As soon as you make them the protagonist, you have to reenvision them.

IOW, there were few surprises here. It was pretty obvious they were just gonna riff on the characters, not preserve them in the state we remembered.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

deplorable basketcase Tellenbach's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer
    As soon as you make them the protagonist, you have to reenvision them.
    It's a huge mistake to "re-envision" classic villains as sympathetic characters. The movie would have broader appeal had they kept the one-dimensional, deliciously evil persona in place. Maybe Disney should start producing more adult films. Maleficent suffers from the same problem as all those Narnia films; it's too kiddish.
    Senator Rand Paul is alive because of modern medicine and because his attacker punches like a girl.