• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

If you could only learn one weaponless martial art, what would it be?

• Total voters

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP

Why?

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've already chosen kung fu, because I like the logical basis of it. The movements, the goals, the thinking, everything makes instant sense to me, without needing explanation. It just seems instantly practical for fighting, rather than all the mystical BS that some schools like to give you. That may just be a function of the teacher, though.

And to be fair, I have very little experience with the others. I've tried aikido and left after 2 months because I hated it so much (incredibly slow pace, unintuitive movements, didn't seem like it had any practical use) despite all the good things I'd heard about it.

edit: next on my list to try is jui jitsu, and I'd love to check out muay thai eventually as well. Most of the martial arts intrigue me, actually.

edit2: capoeira is really cool. I saw a demonstration once, it looked like a lot of fun (and hard work!).

file cabinet

Other: capoeira

Capoeira incorporates elements to make it more interesting:
- singing
- clapping
- musical instruments
- dancing (kind of..)

Instead of outright fighting, it is about having a conversation where each opponent hops in to outwit the other tit-for-tat, kick-for-kick and flip-for-flip.

Anonymous

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
I'd actually eventually like to, though so far I've been too lazy. But Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu is what I'm aiming for. Why? It seems to be a more advanced and functional martial art, what with it springing up only in the past century.

Poser

Fe, rusted.
MBTI Type
INTP
Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. I wrestled in high school and a little in college and jiu-jitsu seems to incorporate everything into it. I really enjoyed it and would love to find a gym (and time) to be able to learn.

TenebrousReflection

MBTI Type
INFp
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't currently practice any martial arts and I think I'd need to get in a lot better shape to do that than I am now, but I chose Aikido, buceause I like the idea of using someone eleses offense against them (and I have considered taking courses in it from time to time).

kelric

Feline Member
MBTI Type
INtP
Ninjutsu - mostly because I did study it for a year or so. I found it very practical, very non-flashy, very noncompetitive, and very analytical. It has a rich history, and although it is spiritual to an extent, there's really not any mumbo-jumbo type stuff. It's primarily about balance, movement, subtle manipulations and straightforwardness in thought - and that applied for really everything from non-weapon fighting, to weapon training, to acrobatics. The only reason I stopped is that my knees just couldn't take the extended periods of putting all of my weight on bent legs.

One thing it's not is a fast-moving (until you get good, which takes a LONG time - I never made it that far) sport-type martial art. The basic attitude is along the lines of "fighting's not a sport - don't fight if you can avoid it, but be prepared, and if you can't avoid it, fight to win, at all costs."

All in all, I enjoyed it (even if I wasn't all that great at it). It definitely helped my flexibility, and even a relatively clutzy guy like me noticed that I could get at least a semblance of grace and balance if I worked at it. The environment was good, the people were by-and-large easy to get along with (although *not* chatty - in type-terms I'd have to say it was a very ISTx crowd and philosophy). Sort of miss it :D.

Wyst

lurking....
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I would learn how to kill people.

With my mind.

colmena

señor member
MBTI Type
INXP
I'm sure if you did Tai-chi for long enough, your body would know what to do should you ever need to defend yourself. Granted, other martial arts often use a learned response, but they're often less meditative.

If it had to be awesome, then it would be Kali/Eskrima ala Bourne Identity.

But anything involving body manipulation makes me warm and fuzzy inside.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
^ not if you wear those laser-shielding sunglasses that Cyclops wears.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Batman was rocking some sweet Keysi Fighting Method in The Dark Knight. Excellent chest punches, arm breaks, and disarms.

MBTI Type
INTJ
I have no idea. I would be incapable of telling the difference between any of the choices other than boxing and wrestling.

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Other: Mixed Martial arts (Brazilian Jiu-jitsu, Shooto etc). Been training MMA for about a year, other full contact martial arts before that.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
It'd have to be boxing. Not sure about the others being actually useful as I've never seen anyone pull one of those moves actually in a fight and half of them are semi weapon based anyway.

For concept it'd have to be Jung Fang Kung Fu (aka Jeet Kune Do) but I'm also unsure as to the usability of this.

(Btw, you know that ninjitsu is basically b&e right? There is no martial art called that. A geeky point, I'll admit that, but still.)

Oh and most preferable of all... I wouldn't learn any of them. I've yet to meet a martial artist who isn't messed up in the head. Esp the krav maga and muay thai lot. Bloomin nutters!